Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 101 Posts

· Registered
2022 PoleStar 2 - Dual Motors - Void
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I've used these at kettleman city, they're a huge upgrade
I'm going to be making a trip in February, if the EA chargers in Bakersfield don't go online by then, I'll probably have to stop in Kettleman City

· Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
EA is my favorite, but they do not place a priority on fixing down machines and it’s really confusing. I really like that they’ve added the cable slack tension to the machine (like the gas pumps have had for decades) but it still does not absorb the end of cable to keep the plastic connector from slamming into the ground and breaking.
This summer I spoke to an EA tech, and he told me nationwide they have something like 70 techs! The tech I talked to basically services chargers from NorCal to SoCal...a 300 mile stretch! There are about five of them that do the hwy 5 and hwy 99 freeway stretches between SF and LA

• Wow
Reactions: Polarbear

· Banned
1,236 Posts
EA is all I have used when not re-charging at home….and they have been fine for me. Luckily, they are not currently over-subscribed, in my area, so have always found slots open when I pull up.

· Registered
PS2 | Midnight LRDM | Pilot | Plus | Barley | MY2022
82 Posts
Some of the locations with the new stations are load balanced. Experienced how badly they've implemented that last night in Corona when 2 load balanced 350KW units would only output 50KW per unit when both were plugged in (for reference we were preconditioned at 18%, so should have been able to pull 150 easy). After the guy unplugged I shot up to 108, then back down to 50 when another Ioniq 5 plugged in.

· Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Some of the locations with the new stations are load balanced. Experienced how badly they've implemented that last night in Corona when 2 load balanced 350KW units would only output 50KW per unit when both were plugged in (for reference we were preconditioned at 18%, so should have been able to pull 150 easy). After the guy unplugged I shot up to 108, then back down to 50 when another Ioniq 5 plugged in.
Is this the chargers at Walmart? I avoid those chargers like the plague and instead go to Chino (Ontario Mills) when I'm visiting my family in SoCal. Every single time I've gone to Corona, one or two are offline and there is a queue built up

· Registered
82 Posts
Is this the chargers at Walmart? I avoid those chargers like the plague and instead go to Chino when I'm visiting my family in SoCal. Every single time I've gone to Corona, one or two are offline and there is a queue built up
Yeah, unfortunately. We'd made several stops on the way down from LA and they were either all full with others waiting or multiple units reporting down. Was trying to stretch to Elsinore or Wildomar, but didn't want to risk it. Had to wait over 20 minutes, then took 15 minutes to get from 18% to 36% (when we split). Oh and don't get me started on the Tesla Y charging to 100% next to me...

· Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yeah, unfortunately. We'd made several stops on the way down from LA and they were either all full with others waiting or multiple units reporting down. Was trying to stretch to Elsinore or Wildomar, but didn't want to risk it. Had to wait over 20 minutes, then took 15 minutes to get from 18% to 36% (when we split). Oh and don't get me started on the Tesla Y charging to 100% next to me...
Yeah, let's not get into that :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
82 Posts
Is this the chargers at Walmart? I avoid those chargers like the plague and instead go to Chino (Ontario Mills) when I'm visiting my family in SoCal. Every single time I've gone to Corona, one or two are offline and there is a queue built up
OH and FYI, it appears the Ontario Mills location is being upgraded right now as the app says all units are unavailable...

· Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
OH and FYI, it appears the Ontario Mills location is being upgraded right now as the app says all units are unavailable...
Yeah, I saw that in the app. I would probably go to the next city over rather than go to the Corona location. I've never been successful charging there after 3 different trips

Reactions: soylentgreen33

· Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Imo it's the best ea station I've used
The issue with using Kettleman city is that would mean I would have to make a stop in Valencia...three stops instead of the two I normally make (Harris Ranch and Bakersfield). The Bakersfield stop gets me all the way to Eastvale with maybe 23 percent SoC left

Reactions: Tacoenthusiast

· Registered
2022 P2, magnesium, slate, pilot, plus, dual motor, 19s
101 Posts
Man I hope you are right! Getting very frustrating
Yeah, they have horrible planning and markering. They have lost a huge opportunity. Instead of stating, CHARGERS BEING UPGRADED AND ENHANCED FOR BETTER SERVICE AND PERFORMANCE, they shut down with no notice in key areas and simply post the following, with no mention of anticipated reopening date or the improvements.
Font Brand Logo Art Circle

· Registered
2022 Polestar 2, Snow, Pilot
485 Posts
I believe all of the new, updated chargers are load balanced. That's depressing to hear!

· Registered
2022 Polestar 2, Snow, Pilot
485 Posts
Yeah, they have horrible planning and markering. They have lost a huge opportunity. Instead of stating, CHARGERS BEING UPGRADED AND ENHANCED FOR BETTER SERVICE AND PERFORMANCE, they shut down with no notice in key areas and simply post the following, with no mention of anticipated reopening date or the improvements.
View attachment 21552
Plugshare usually has a message from Electrify America saying just that -- they are down due to an upgrade. Why they can't put the message on their own app is beyond me.

· Registered
10,874 Posts
Competitors to EA cannot come soon enough, they clearly don't care.
I wouldn't go so far as to say EA doesn't care. But think about their business environment. They had a huge influx of cash that they could spend from the VW mess. They also made deals with all these EV manufacturers to provide free charging, thus generating more income. They are not yet generating most of their income from charging fees. So whether the units are working or not doesn't impact their bottom line. I'm glad to see them upgrading units because that will benefit everyone in the future. Then they just have to get rid of all these "free" deals. That will free up chargers, and generate income that will be dependent on their performance.

· Registered
56 Posts
I doubt any chargers will free up simply by eliminating the "free" tier. As EVs become more common the availability will decrease at the current rate of things.

I wouldn't go so far as to say EA doesn't care. But think about their business environment. They had a huge influx of cash that they could spend from the VW mess. They also made deals with all these EV manufacturers to provide free charging, thus generating more income. They are not yet generating most of their income from charging fees. So whether the units are working or not doesn't impact their bottom line. I'm glad to see them upgrading units because that will benefit everyone in the future. Then they just have to get rid of all these "free" deals. That will free up chargers, and generate income that will be dependent on their performance.

· Registered
5 Posts
Is the Tesla blocking anyone from charging? Is the driver about to embark on a long trip? 100% full does have valid use cases, but if they're not blocking someone who cares?
I have found Teslas using completely full EA stations when a nearly empty Supercharger is nearby. They do so because EA is significantly cheaper. Some of us find it irritating when Tesla has a "superior" network available for their cars and the drivers take up one or our limited spots just to save a buck or two.

· Registered
12 Posts
I’m not going to defend EA, but this has not been my experience….either locally in Maryland or on my trip through Pa, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois on my way to Chicago, and back. Always found working chargers…no idea if all of them worked, at all my stops, and didn’t care, so long as there was at least one that was working, and open when I needed one.
That was my experience as well-- on a recent road trip to Florida from Delaware EA chargers in working order save 1 out of 6 at one area. Didn't care much for the $50 holding charge each time though!

21 - 40 of 101 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.