Polestar Forum banner

I've nearly purchased a P*2 but have concerns about local service

Tags
polestar 2
3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Star-Tracer 
#1 ·
I live 700 miles away from the Space that currently has my future car. I've paid a deposit already, and they're working on the paperwork. The plan is for the car to be put on a truck and shipped to me (not exactly comfortable getting on a plane with a bunch of yahoos). Firstly, am I being an absolute knucklehead by buying a car that can't be serviced locally, and if I found problems when they take it off the truck I'll have to ship it back at great expense?

I'm quite nervous. This is the most expensive single item I've ever purchased aside from my home. Supposedly there will be more service points and spaces in the future, but Volvo dealerships are being very inconsistent from one state to the next. For the record, I live in St. Louis Missouri. I know I will not be the only P*2 driver in the area because I've seen 3 on local roads, and there are 4 sitting on a Volvo dealer's used car lot (all launch edition demos acquired from California).

Put my mind at ease! I really want this car.

#2 ·
Suggest to hit the online chat or general customer service number and ask specific questions about what happens when (assume when; not if) you need both warranty and non-warranty service. Get that answer from Polestar, not the Space.

#4 ·
I live in the Memphis, TN area and bought mine sight unseen and had to go to Manhattan to pick it up and drive it home (1100 miles). There was certainly risk involved in having no close by service location, but was assured that if I had a problem they would come pick up the car and leave me a loaner or a rental or such. Fortunately I have had no problems. Note that I was in contact with the space manager during the ordering and prep process and his whole team were very helpful and reassuring. Whenever I had questions they got back with me quickly.

I still have the only one in West Tennessee, at least last time I checked in. I do know others that were far from a space and actually had problems and had their cars picked up with a loaner left behind while theirs was repaired. So there is precedent for good service even with distance. Now with the Dallas space open I'm a bit less than 500 miles from the nearest, and when Atlanta opens, even closer. Still, I doubt I'll ever be within the 150 mile free pickup radius for non-warranty service. And I still have no regrets - best car purchase and driving satisfaction I've had to date.

#9 ·
Firstly, am I being an absolute knucklehead by buying a car that can't be serviced locally, and if I found problems when they take it off the truck I'll have to ship it back at great expense?
Yes! You should never ever buy a car sight-unseen. I'm sure lots of folks on this forum did it, since you almost have to with this brand, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

The service issue may or may not be a problem, as I suspect that there will eventually be a Polestar service center somewhere that you could take it to. The real issue is that you're thinking about buying a car without inspecting it or test driving it first. Have you test driven any Polestar 2? How do you even know you'll like it?

#10 ·
Yes,, I have test-driven a launch edition. That's mostly why I fell in love with the car. Since starting this thread I've been chatting with the sales rep at Polestar Charlotte. He's well aware of my concerns about buying a car sight unseen, and he's as concerned as I am about my satisfaction. I sent him a long list of things to check for, and he's going to do it. Granted, I'm trusting a perfect stranger, but also imagine the bad publicity it would bring the brand if I got a car delivered with obvious problems? He's also going to put some miles on it to make sure there aren't any issues or rattles. I'm feeling pretty safe about the transaction at this point. The helpful comments above has also brought down my anxiety level considerably.

#11 ·
. Firstly, am I being an absolute knucklehead by buying a car that can't be serviced locally, and if I found problems when they take it off the truck I'll have to ship it back at great expense?

No, you are not a Knucklehead. I live 250 miles from the Minneapolis Space, and when I had an issue with my TCAM module, THEY FLEW A TECH TO MY HOUSE TO INSTALL IT!!! granted I had had it less than a month, but I think Polestar is HIGHLY motivated to keep the PS2 on the road, and customers happy. Also, the fix was simple enough that I think they could have has the Volvo dealer do it.

#12 ·
I live 700 miles away from the Space that currently has my future car. I've paid a deposit already, and they're working on the paperwork. The plan is for the car to be put on a truck and shipped to me (not exactly comfortable getting on a plane with a bunch of yahoos). Firstly, am I being an absolute knucklehead by buying a car that can't be serviced locally, and if I found problems when they take it off the truck I'll have to ship it back at great expense?

I'm quite nervous. This is the most expensive single item I've ever purchased aside from my home. Supposedly there will be more service points and spaces in the future, but Volvo dealerships are being very inconsistent from one state to the next. For the record, I live in St. Louis Missouri. I know I will not be the only P*2 driver in the area because I've seen 3 on local roads, and there are 4 sitting on a Volvo dealer's used car lot (all launch edition demos acquired from California).

I have had the P*2 for a year now and am quite disappointed with their service level.
Sorry if I cannot put your mind at ease.
Maybe service dissatisfaction is experienced only by some Bay Area owners.

#14 ·
Hi everyone,

New to the forum here, current EV owner looking to upgrade to P*2; I live in Metro NY area (within 150 miles) and was wondering if anyone can share their experience with P*2 service in New York area. Do they share maintenance staffs with Manhattan Motor?

Not that I think P*2 will cost me any problem, but I did have a very very hard time to work with Nissan dealership who has no clue to fix their EV...

Any insight will be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.