Polestar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I’m Jim from Stafford, UK.

Three days ago I was perfectly happy with my 2015 Audi A6 Allroad BiTDi until a colleague and I started chatting about the Polestar (and EV’s costs in general) and lease deals through our work... that’s planted a seed now... damn it!

I fell in love with the Polestar 1 when I first saw it at Goodwood and obviously think the 2 looks great.

TuskerCars are offering the PS2 for £600/m on a salary sacrifice scheme. This includes full servicing, insurance, tyres and breakdown cover. This is over 48months at 12,500miles per year, including £900 paint option and £700 for 20” alloys, but not the PP. (it’s £670/m for the PP)

So that got me looking at both the monthly cost of charing an electric car and the total monthly cost of my A6.

I worked out my A6 is approx £620/m (that’s not accounting for any major part replacements).

What I’m not entirely sure on is the electricity cost at home for the PS2, I think I’ve worked it out at £35/m but not sure if that’s right. If so that’s making the PS £635/m.

I typically do 600-800 miles per month.

Can I ask what some of you are paying for your charging at home please?

What does everyone think on the lease cost?

At the moment, I’m hovering because in reality, it’s costing more for the PS2.

I appreciate for that Im getting a new car which is twice the cost of my A6, but for me, the jump to EV should be because of the monthly savings, so I feel like I’m being swayed because it’s something new/different.

As I said, the seed is planted and I’m one of those that has to really justify something in my head.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,856 Posts
Hi all,

I’m Jim from Stafford, UK.

Three days ago I was perfectly happy with my 2015 Audi A6 Allroad BiTDi until a colleague and I started chatting about the Polestar (and EV’s costs in general) and lease deals through our work... that’s planted a seed now... damn it!

I fell in love with the Polestar 1 when I first saw it at Goodwood and obviously think the 2 looks great.

TuskerCars are offering the PS2 for £600/m on a salary sacrifice scheme. This includes full servicing, insurance, tyres and breakdown cover. This is over 48months at 12,500miles per year, including £900 paint option and £700 for 20” alloys, but not the PP. (it’s £670/m for the PP)

So that got me looking at both the monthly cost of charing an electric car and the total monthly cost of my A6.

I worked out my A6 is approx £620/m (that’s not accounting for any major part replacements).

What I’m not entirely sure on is the electricity cost at home for the PS2, I think I’ve worked it out at £35/m but not sure if that’s right. If so that’s making the PS £635/m.

I typically do 600-800 miles per month.

Can I ask what some of you are paying for your charging at home please?

What does everyone think on the lease cost?

At the moment, I’m hovering because in reality, it’s costing more for the PS2.

I appreciate for that Im getting a new car which is twice the cost of my A6, but for me, the jump to EV should be because of the monthly savings, so I feel like I’m being swayed because it’s something new/different.

As I said, the seed is planted and I’m one of those that has to really justify something in my head.
Welcome.
I have a business lease but know nothing about salary sacrifice or home charging costs. The search bar is pretty good for finding specific terms which have been discussed on here previously.
The car is tremendous but Stafford is at bit too close to me for comfort. I want to stay unique a while longer yet! I hear Teslas are awesome.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I can't help with leasing sorry, however I can with electricity.

There are many tariffs out there which I'll go through later but for costs you can look at the following for a guide.

Your A6 is probably doing somewhere between 15p and 20p per mile for Fuel. 20p is around 25-30mpg, 15p for around 35-40mpg. So adjust for your MPG.

For electricity:

18p per kWh. This is a high end price. This works out as 6p per mile.

15p per kWh. This is a good standard tariff . This works out as 5p per mile.

5p per kWh. This is with an off Peak Rate (Octopus Go as an example). This works out as 1.7p per mile.

So based on Pence Per Mile .....

15ppm Petrol x 800 miles = £120
20ppm Petrol x 800 miles = £160

6ppm Elec x 800 miles = £48
5ppm Elec x 800 miles = £40
1.7ppm Elec x 800 miles = £13.60

Now, for someone like yourself doing 40ish miles a day, something like Octopus Go with 4 hours per night of 5p per kWh would be perfect. You could charge every couple of days and reduce your fuel costs from £120-160 to £13 per month. That's like £1,800 roughly per year!

----

One final note regarding costs ... again I have no idea about leasing and what's covered or not ... but you'll use a lot less brake pads / discs in an EV (assuming you drive reasonably most of the time), due to the fact most breaking is done with regeneration that physical. The only real "Wear and Tear" item are tyres, which is the same for any car. Overall maintenance on EV's cost next to nothing compared to an ICE car.

Reactions: Jim and Arjo

·
Registered
62 Posts
I currently get a £7k car allowance and have a Merc C250D Premium Plus on HP, plus a service plan, plus extended warranty, plus fuel, tyre etc.....I worked out all in my car was costing me £450 a month + fuel vs about £310 after tax on my car allowance.

My PS2 in Midnight with everything else standard is using my car allowance up and estimate that over the 4 year lease the BiK averages out to £25 a month based on the current BiK rules.

Taking all that into the account, the money I will get foe selling the Merc, the electricity for charging both at home and on the road (not including the lovely £450 Polar Plus credit from Polestar), install of a charge point etc I will still be quids in....removing the money from the Merc sale I still thing I will be about £150-200 better off a month taking fuel costs etc into account

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't help with leasing sorry, however I can with electricity.

There are many tariffs out there which I'll go through later but for costs you can look at the following for a guide.

Your A6 is probably doing somewhere between 15p and 20p per mile for Fuel. 20p is around 25-30mpg, 15p for around 35-40mpg. So adjust for your MPG.

For electricity:

18p per kWh. This is a high end price. This works out as 6p per mile.

15p per kWh. This is a good standard tariff . This works out as 5p per mile.

5p per kWh. This is with an off Peak Rate (Octopus Go as an example). This works out as 1.7p per mile.

So based on Pence Per Mile .....

15ppm Petrol x 800 miles = £120
20ppm Petrol x 800 miles = £160

6ppm Elec x 800 miles = £48
5ppm Elec x 800 miles = £40
1.7ppm Elec x 800 miles = £13.60

Now, for someone like yourself doing 40ish miles a day, something like Octopus Go with 4 hours per night of 5p per kWh would be perfect. You could charge every couple of days and reduce your fuel costs from £120-160 to £13 per month. That's like £1,800 roughly per year!

----

One final note regarding costs ... again I have no idea about leasing and what's covered or not ... but you'll use a lot less brake pads / discs in an EV (assuming you drive reasonably most of the time), due to the fact most breaking is done with regeneration that physical. The only real "Wear and Tear" item are tyres, which is the same for any car. Overall maintenance on EV's cost next to nothing compared to an ICE car.
That’s an incredibly useful reply, thanks for taking your time to explain that. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
Oct '20 / VIN47xx. Void, Slate, 20"
554 Posts
Hi @Jim!

My business lease was ~£490+VAT/month for 6+23months / 10k miles pa. This not 'maintained', but Polestar gives free servicing and breakdown recovery for 3 years. So you'd only pay for tyres and brakes (unlikely in 2 years I'm thinking!). For me, including maintenance wasn't worth it on a short lease for an EV.

Electricity-wise, as @GDank says, if you can get on a cheap tariff for overnight charging (I'm on Octopus Go at 5p/KWh overnight), you can charge up for about £3.50 (0-100%). This works out about 1.5p/mile for 'fuel' (based on a range of ~250 miles).

Reactions: Jim

·
Registered
28 Posts
Jim
I have ordered my P*2 through Tuskers on SS. Also included in the monthly payment is all maintenance & servicing, fully comp insurance, tyres and road side assistance for the length of the deal.

For me (I do 22000 mls a year) that averages out at an additional £130 pm saving on my current Volvo S90, in addition to the fuel savings of £170 pm.

I think it is a pretty good deal once you take all the savings into account. Plus it is a fantastic car to drive😅

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome.
I have a business lease but know nothing about salary sacrifice or home charging costs. The search bar is pretty good for finding specific terms which have been discussed on here previously.
The car is tremendous but Stafford is at bit too close to me for comfort. I want to stay unique a while longer yet! I hear Teslas are awesome.
Good luck!
Sorry to say, I’m much closer than Stafford too, I live close to the Staffs/Shrops border! And it looks like I’m going for one now, pending the test drive once I can get one!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry to say, I’m much closer than Stafford too, I live close to the Staffs/Shrops border! And it looks like I’m going for one now, pending the test drive once I can get one!
Test drive slots just opened up again this morning.
Only Farnborough - from 4 Dec.
(The site may only currently be accessible to those who had a previous test drive cancelled due to Lockdown 2).

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,856 Posts
I think you'd really suit a Lexus.
But if you insist on a Polestar all the colours seem great other than Thunder.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts