1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sounds like the ride quality is 'meh'. That's also the issue with the M3 as mentioned in these reviews. That's going to be an issue for some.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sounds like the ride quality is 'meh'. That's also the issue with the M3 as mentioned in these reviews. That's going to be an issue for some.
That's not quite my impression reading the reviews. It seems reviewers are impressed with the overall build quality, interior design and comfort and they like the handling in general. Compared to TM3, the build quality and interior comfort seems definitely to be a step up. Universally they note the backseat may be fine for smaller adults and kids but larger adults might think head space is cramped. Cargo area seems less than TM3 and other competitors - though waiting for TeslaBjorn to get his hands on one!

The reviewers seem to find that the default settings with the Performance Package is appropriate for sporty handling and cornering - but maybe too stiff for most of the pothole-ridden roads we daily drive on, which is to be expected.

I've read an unhealthy number of reviews (with a lot of Google Translate) and the few that tested the base version seem to conclude that the base package has a softer and more comfortable ride, with those potholes being eaten up well by the less stiff suspension.

I do wish Polestar would allow reviewers time in cars both with and without the Performance Package, and with 19" or 20" wheels, so we can get a better idea of all the pros/cons. They seem to be really pushing the Performance Package and 20" wheels, which I guess means higher margins on those, but I'm guessing there's a lot of us looking for a nice ride and not as much time on a track or drag strip... but happy to have <5 sec 0-60.

At least until I can do my own test drive, I'm happy with my Midnight, leather interior, 19" wheels, non-Performance Package on order..... that is so long as the July August September delivery date actually holds!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
That's not quite my impression reading the reviews. It seems reviewers are impressed with the overall build quality, interior design and comfort and they like the handling in general. Compared to TM3, the build quality and interior comfort seems definitely to be a step up. Universally they note the backseat may be fine for smaller adults and kids but larger adults might think head space is cramped. Cargo area seems less than TM3 and other competitors - though waiting for TeslaBjorn to get his hands on one!

The reviewers seem to find that the default settings with the Performance Package is appropriate for sporty handling and cornering - but maybe too stiff for most of the pothole-ridden roads we daily drive on, which is to be expected.

I've read an unhealthy number of reviews (with a lot of Google Translate) and the few that tested the base version seem to conclude that the base package has a softer and more comfortable ride, with those potholes being eaten up well by the less stiff suspension.

I do wish Polestar would allow reviewers time in cars both with and without the Performance Package, and with 19" or 20" wheels, so we can get a better idea of all the pros/cons. They seem to be really pushing the Performance Package and 20" wheels, which I guess means higher margins on those, but I'm guessing there's a lot of us looking for a nice ride and not as much time on a track or drag strip... but happy to have <5 sec 0-60.

At least until I can do my own test drive, I'm happy with my Midnight, leather interior, 19" wheels, non-Performance Package on order..... that is so long as the July August September delivery date actually holds!!
Well yeah, that's what I was referring to. It wouldn't be appropriate for the pothole-ridden streets here in NY either. They also mentioned the average person isn't going to change the default settings...just too involved. I've read a couple of other comments on the car and there does seem to be a consistency to the mention of 'firm ride' pretty consistently. It might be that the cars are generally the performance version, but I'm not really convinced yet.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well yeah, that's what I was referring to. It wouldn't be appropriate for the pothole-ridden streets here in NY either. They also mentioned the average person isn't going to change the default settings...just too involved. I've read a couple of other comments on the car and there does seem to be a consistency to the mention of 'firm ride' pretty consistently. It might be that the cars are generally the performance version, but I'm not really convinced yet.
Yeah - I'm hoping the non-Performance package with 19" wheels is smoother and more comfortable. >99% of my driving won't be on a track.

And, I hope that the 19" wheels non-PP version means for better efficiency. Reviewers are finding 20-25 kWh/100 km efficiency which is more IPace/etron territory than TM3 - but that's in testing it on how fast it can take a corner, not how well it does a grocery run or make it to work via a highway. Really hoping there are reviews coming out focused on the P2 as a daily driver instead of as a weekender.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Here's a review (Google Translate-d from Norwegian) that describes some more info of the P2 as a daily driver. Although again seems they are testing with the Performance Package, so not clear how more comfortable or efficient things are with the base package:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Here's a review (Google Translate-d from Norwegian) that describes some more info of the P2 as a daily driver. Although again seems they are testing with the Performance Package, so not clear how more comfortable or efficient things are with the base package:
They also mention the car as being noisy, much like the complaints you hear about the Model 3.

·
Registered
85 Posts
They also mention the car as being noisy, much like the complaints you hear about the Model 3.

I know the answer is I should just be patient and wait to see for myself in my own test drive (...would be great to know for sure when that could happen....). But it seems there's some disagreement among reviewers.
As a contrast, Autocar UK says:

The Polestar is impressively quiet, though – even over gravelly surfaces, the noise isolation is impressive; the cabin is calm, serene and relaxing, whether you’re driving around town or on the motorway. It’s just a shame the ride errs on the side of sportiness rather than comfort.

I hope TeslaBjorn can do his battery of tests on the P2 soon!

·
Registered
91 Posts
No one coming from an ICE car will think the P2 or the M3 are noisy.
Not so sure, it depends on the ICE car you’re coming from. My wife Lexus ES300h is quieter than the Model S I traded. I’m sure it certainly would have been quieter than the M3 too

·
Registered
11 Posts
it is perception at the end and what your expectation is. If nothing rattles then it is fine for me. FHope the performance pack will be as stiff as my Magnetic ride set to sport on my summer wheels 235/30R20 :cool:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Not so sure, it depends on the ICE car you’re coming from. My wife Lexus ES300h is quieter than the Model S I traded. I’m sure it certainly would have been quieter than the M3 too
Cruising yes, because then the majority of the noise is tires and wind. An LS460 is like a bank vault -- which makes Lexus a particularly uninteresting car if you are in the left seat. But when you floor it, even that car has engine noise. And even at idle you can't get completely away from the slight hum of the engine. In an EV you can sit in your garage with the AC on and the radio blaring and there is no other intrusion.

·
Registered
85 Posts
One consistent con in the reviews is the range/efficiency with something like 20-25 kWh/100 km making for a ~300-375 km = ~180-230 mi range (rounding). One reviewer said they only got 160 mi (DriveNation on insta).

How much of that is the Performance Pack and 20" wheels?
And reviewers pushing the car to the limit in the test drives?
And how much can we actually expect that those would get better with OTA updates?

Compared to TM3, I'm OK with some range hit, but I def want >200-220 highway miles on a charge.
I'd also want a smoother ride compared to TM3 which I found to already be too stiff/bumpy so I'm also hoping 19" wheels would help there.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Cruising yes, because then the majority of the noise is tires and wind. An LS460 is like a bank vault -- which makes Lexus a particularly uninteresting car if you are in the left seat. But when you floor it, even that car has engine noise. And even at idle you can't get completely away from the slight hum of the engine. In an EV you can sit in your garage with the AC on and the radio blaring and there is no other intrusion.
I’m simply saying, contrary to what many believe, a really quiet ES300h is quieter than a Tesla MS or M3. I own/owned the first 2, so I speak from experience. I’m saying nothing about driving excitement, acceleration or anything other than quietness.

·
Registered
91 Posts
One consistent con in the reviews is the range/efficiency with something like 20-25 kWh/100 km making for a ~300-375 km = ~180-230 mi range (rounding). One reviewer said they only got 160 mi (DriveNation on insta).

How much of that is the Performance Pack and 20" wheels?
And reviewers pushing the car to the limit in the test drives?
And how much can we actually expect that those would get better with OTA updates?

Compared to TM3, I'm OK with some range hit, but I def want >200-220 highway miles on a charge.
I'd also want a smoother ride compared to TM3 which I found to already be too stiff/bumpy so I'm also hoping 19" wheels would help there.
That’s who I went to an I-Pace. About a 240 mile range and a nicer ride than my MS. :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
WLTP and EPA ratings on EVs are all over the map. They are not even consistently scaled wrong. One model can do better than the EPA/WLTP while another will do worse. And as always your individual mileage may vary. In the winter with the heat on you are likely to take a 20% hit from whatever you get in the spring. In the summer you are likely to get 10-15% more than in the spring. And if you drive like a jack rabbit, that obviously takes a hit too. And while winter temps make a big impact, what most people don't understand is that an ICE has the same problem with gas mileage in the winter, you just never bothered to notice.

·
Registered
85 Posts

If I were in the market for a £50,000 electric car - despite knowing what I do about range and charging - I'd look no further.
That, and the gorgeous pictures, may just settle it. My eye still might wander to a great IPace deal in the meanwhile... but man September can't come fast enough!

[edited typo]

·
Registered
188 Posts

That, and the gorgeous pictures, may just settle it. My eye still might wander to a great IPace deal in the meanwhile... but man September can't come fast enough!

[edited typo]
Nothing quite compares to British coachwork in a Jag. But I prefer living with the clean contemporary look of Scandinavian design.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts