Polestar Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
I will confess I have no idea what a ‘subtle’ ride means. In many years of reading and watching car reviews, I’ve never seen ‘subtle’ used as an adjective to describe a ride. 🧐
I think I've heard every adjective in the dictionary. They can't seem to come up with enough ways to say essentially the same thing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
17 kWh/100 km == 27 kWh/100 miles
oops. end range calc still holds of ~260 mi range driving at (American) highway speeds of 60-65 mph. Which is just fine and dandy for me.

I agree we need Bjorn's battery of testing - or mere mortals and plebes to be able to do test drives and report back here!

It does seem like the range seems more reasonable at speeds I'd actually drive on average on a usual road trip, and drop off pretty precipitously going up in speed past 75+ mph like some of the reviewers reported. Suggests aerodynamic drag going as v^2 is a bigger factor on the P2 than TM3, but that's to be expected looking at the shape/design. Either way, I've contributed enough over the years to my local police dept's coffers that I'm not going to routinely drive 80-90+ mph for long stretches (with my disapproving wife in the car at least).

Re the key fob looking cheap: I honestly couldn't care less. If anything having a cheap fob means less likely someone would try to pinch it! Though I would be more annoyed if they did have significant delays on phone-as-a-key, which I see as much more secure.

·
Registered
84 Posts
oops. end range calc still holds of ~260 mi range driving at (American) highway speeds of 60-65 mph. Which is just fine and dandy for me.

I agree we need Bjorn's battery of testing - or mere mortals and plebes to be able to do test drives and report back here!

It does seem like the range seems more reasonable at speeds I'd actually drive on average on a usual road trip, and drop off pretty precipitously going up in speed past 75+ mph like some of the reviewers reported. Suggests aerodynamic drag going as v^2 is a bigger factor on the P2 than TM3, but that's to be expected looking at the shape/design. Either way, I've contributed enough over the years to my local police dept's coffers that I'm not going to routinely drive 80-90+ mph for long stretches (with my disapproving wife in the car at least).

Re the key fob looking cheap: I honestly couldn't care less. If anything having a cheap fob means less likely someone would try to pinch it! Though I would be more annoyed if they did have significant delays on phone-as-a-key, which I see as much more secure.
It's not so much that it's cheap looking, it's the gargantuam size of the thing. I've never seen a key fob that was so big.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It's not so much that it's cheap looking, it's the gargantuam size of the thing. I've never seen a key fob that was so big.
More than likely it was an afterthought when the advertised "phone as key" was delayed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Some German journalists tested the P2 with Performance Package and report details re consumption/efficiency:
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.auto-online-magazin.de/index.php/volvo-haupt/volvo-polestar/3278-fahrbericht-kurz-polestar-2
[Google translate of the original German]

tl;dr -
If you drive like a speed demon on the Autobahn you can see 25 kWh/100 km --> ~185 mi range.

Drive more sedately on regular city/country roads, you get 12-16 kWh/100 km --> ~290-390 mi range

Overall, they drove in several different conditions over 121 km and saw an average of 18.6 kWh/100km, which would yield a 250 mi range.

And presumably that gets better using the base package (19" wheels, regular suspension/brakes) and not specifically trying to push the car to the limits during a quick test drive.

I'm not worried about range.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Swedish journalists took the P2 with Performance Pack on a track.
The P2 beat a Panamera Turbo e-hybrid, a Mustang Bullitt, and an Aventador - only faster car on their leaderboard was a 911 Carrera S:
[has English captions]

Assuming the English captions are accurate, I take it that:
The EV skeptic gave it the top score he would give any EV, which is I guess a compliment?
The non-EV-skeptic says if you're looking to do a bunch of long trips, get the Model 3, else the P2 is a better daily driver.
But they agree that the Performance Pack doesn't seem worth it. It makes the ride stiffer and the range worse - and it seems to jar with the rest of the P2 as a small sedan.

Ride comfort was also the main complaint of this reviewer (can use YouTube to auto-generate English captions) who otherwise seems to like the P2:

Either way, the P2 seems to be a solid alternative to the Model 3. Great to see that we actually have reasonable competition forming in the EV landscape!

Now my main question to me is if the 19" wheels base suspension is comfortable enough of a ride that I won't hear too many complaints from the backseat.

Anyone know if the standard suspension can be tweaked into a more soft/comfy setting instead of the sporty tune that comes from the factory?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Remember that these jounalists have to say something about just about everything. So they comment the ride is firm. You can imagine that it's unlikely to be firmer than any other sporty European sedan.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Swedish journalists took the P2 with Performance Pack on a track.
The P2 beat a Panamera Turbo e-hybrid, a Mustang Bullitt, and an Aventador - only faster car on their leaderboard was a 911 Carrera S:
This is astonishing, and truly hard to believe.

And it is. They were on a go kart track. That makes a huge difference. It's still pretty good, but they are not doing hot laps. This is only a cornering test. The P2 is pretty good at it. They claim it's very un-Volvo like, and it is. Polestar has said that the car was designed to rotate well, rather than just under-steer (like most consumer cars). Great for the track, but not great for the average driving Joe. I would suggest that people not turn off the ESC least they get in trouble when the car rotates and they don't know what to do.

·
Registered
56 Posts
This is astonishing, and truly hard to believe.

And it is. They were on a go kart track. That makes a huge difference. It's still pretty good, but they are not doing hot laps. This is only a cornering test. The P2 is pretty good at it. They claim it's very un-Volvo like, and it is. Polestar has said that the car was designed to rotate well, rather than just under-steer (like most consumer cars). Great for the track, but not great for the average driving Joe. I would suggest that people not turn off the ESC least they get in trouble when the car rotates and they don't know what to do.
Completely agree.
Though I’d argue that a twist track is more representative of my extreme of use case than a drag strip.
My most extreme use cases will be on curvy hill routes and stopping/swerving around deer and stray cats. If the P2 can hang with a 911 and beat a Panamera on a course highlighting handling, and has a 0-60 time of 4.2-4.8s then yeah I’m good, even (especially?) with traction control on.

Wonder what the model 3 would do here. On my test drive I took it on a mildly, not extremely curvy ride and even on that it didn’t feel controlled. I’m not sure how else to describe it but I came away feeling like I could really get into trouble in one. I very well was likely totally fine but I didn’t feel like it. That might be exhilarating to some, but not for me, especially with a kid in that back.

EVs are plenty fast. The P2, IPace, and Taycan seem like the only ones that have the handling to go with that speed.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Agreed. It's a lot easier to make a car fast than stable. Tesla does it mostly with sw. But in this case a good programmer is no substitute for a good chassis engineer.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Remember that these jounalists have to say something about just about everything. So they comment the ride is firm. You can imagine that it's unlikely to be firmer than any other sporty European sedan.
It’s too often the complaint heard from reviewers for them to be pulling this out of the air. Take this criticism seriously, schedule a test drive and see for yourself. It may be fine for you or you may find it overly firm. But to dismiss these reviews that so often point this out, is not prudent.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It’s too often the complaint heard from reviewers for them to be pulling this out of the air. Take this criticism seriously, schedule a test drive and see for yourself. It may be fine for you or you may find it overly firm. But to dismiss these reviews that so often point this out, is not prudent.
If the offered a P2 with the soft Lexus suspension on the stiff BMW suspension I might still choose the stiff BMW version, yet I might also insist on a test drive before deciding. But since they don't offer a choice, a test drive is not going to help me at all. :) . The only car I've ever test driven that I liked but never felt comfortable driving was a Lexus GS400. At that time I bought a Volvo instead :cool:

·
Registered
84 Posts
For most people a test drive will give them an idea about the suspension. That’s why I had once posted to take a test drive with rough roads as well as good roads. Any car will feel fine on good roads. In most areas rough roads aren’t hard to find.

·
Registered
166 Posts
For most people a test drive will give them an idea about the suspension. That’s why I had once posted to take a test drive with rough roads as well as good roads. Any car will feel fine on good roads. In most areas rough roads aren’t hard to find.
You're right. But if you want a P2 it's take it or leave it. If you don't like the ride, you're not getting this car. So everything else you might have liked/wanted will have to be sacrificed for a slightly firmer ride. A soft/firm ride is not usually the highest priority for people looking for a new car (unless maybe if you're looking for a Lexus). People are willing to plop down a deposit without a test drive because they want a lot of other things, e.g. EV, Volvo quality, style, range, etc. No car is perfect, so we all have to line up our priorities, and some things will be sacrificed no matter which car you choose. As an example, I'd love to have 400 miles of range. But the only way I can get that is with a Tesla. And there are too many things I don't like about a Tesla to get the 400 miles of range. It's always a trade off.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think you’re downplaying the importance of ride quality. It’s important to many people, not just those shopping for a Lexus. I’ve seen people test driving a M3 or MY and turning thumbs down because of the ride. Many won’t accept other attributes if the ride quality is poor. Others won’t care.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think you’re downplaying the importance of ride quality. It’s important to many people, not just those shopping for a Lexus. I’ve seen people test driving a M3 or MY and turning thumbs down because of the ride. Many won’t accept other attributes if the ride quality is poor. Others won’t care.
Agreed. We all want to test drive a new car. But once I have my sights set on it, there would have to be something pretty glaring to make me turn away (both good and sleazy car salesmen know this very well). And there would also have to be an alternative. Right now there are few alternatives to a P2. A Mach-E is a possibility but they sold out quickly. Tesla did so well because for a long time they were the only game in town. I'm definitely going to test drive this car before I write the check, but if I hate it (unlikely) then I have to drive home and figure out what else to do. I'm certainly not buying an ICE car.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well the I-Pace, at the huge discounts being offered, is in a similar price class with the P2. I’m also not sure if the ME is ‘really’ sold out. ;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well the I-Pace, at the huge discounts being offered, is in a similar price class with the P2. I’m also not sure if the ME is ‘really’ sold out. ;)
I know Ford advertised that ME reservations were closed at some point. I would cross shop that car, but the timing is not right for me. I like the Jag, but where I live there are lots of F-Paces, so an I-Pace doesn't stand out as a EV. The P2 will be very unique. If the P2 slips too far (or I hate that test drive), then I have some work to do. Heck, I might go for Hyundai's EV. It's got the range and most of the electronic safety goodies I insist on.

I might be test driving a bunch of cars right now, but with COVID I'm staying out of dealerships and strange cars.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You should test drive the I-Pace. That might make you forget about whether or not it looks unique in your area. :)

I see a significant difference between the two though. In my area I think I've seen only one since I got mine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You should test drive the I-Pace. That might make you forget about whether or not it looks unique in your area. :)

I see a significant difference between the two though. In my area I think I've seen only one since I got mine.
Hey @Ken, got a few questions that others might be interested in:
* Do owners get software updates for free? And over-the-air or at the dealer? I saw the IPace got some more range and other things with a software update; did that come to you seamlessly?

* When using Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, does info like the navigation screen come into the driver's display or only the center console?

* Does voice control work for things like setting regenerative braking level, suspension settings, etc?

* Can you turn off the vroom-vroom they pipe into the cabin for some unknown reason?

To me, comparing the IPace and P2, the IPace has likely a smoother ride and more plush interior with more cargo space that comes with a bigger car, while the P2 has better infotainment and the likely the dartier handling that comes with an overall smaller car. Will be interested to see how much different the P2 vs IPace interior is (rear bench wise) considering the IPace is 6" wider than the P2 with mirrors out, but actually narrower in the rear than the XC40 (per online specs) and similar to the smaller S60.
Though biggest advantage is the IPace is here and is likely beyond first 1-2 year jitters of a new model. If my local Jag dealer can come down on their price by $5k I'd be verrrrry tempted.

[edit: added last question]

41 - 60 of 63 Posts