Polestar Forum banner

601 - 620 of 656 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
I like the sleeper aspect of it. I've had lots of internal debate about a custom license plate or even just an EV plate... But decided in the end against either.

Reactions: Joel S.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,436 Posts
iPhones come with a big apple sticker in the box.
It never makes it onto the back on my phone. How about you?
I think if cars came the same way most people wouldn't apply the logos to the bodywork.
I don't want to pay for the privilege of advertising a product which already looks great.

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Most cars around here have dealership license plate brackets. I've always been confused by that.

·
Registered
720 Posts
De-badging most cars seems a little silly to me since most people know exactly what it is from 100 yards even without the badges. De-badging a P2 at lease has some value since the car flummoxes most people even with the badges on.
I like the sleeper aspect if it's a special trim, but it's also about the clutter. Some cars have like 4 different badges on the trunk, just looks sloppy.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I like the sleeper aspect of it. I've had lots of internal debate about a custom license plate or even just an EV plate... But decided in the end against either.
When I was young and stupid -- like high school stupid -- I thought it would be cool to have a vanity plate. But now there are SO many reasons to run under the radar in the crazy world we live in.

·
Registered
720 Posts
This car looks familiar...

So, I didn't tell him much before he tested it, pointed out a few things here and there, but largely left it for him to figure out. He mentioned a familiarity with Volvo, so it did seem like he came into it pretty cold, assuming it would be a lot like the Polestar 1. He did see the window sticker, so he should've noticed, and noted that it had the Performance Pack. Also, this was filmed back in early February, so old software obviously. After watching it, there are a few interesting... quirks:
  • I told him the Polestar stickers were removed, guess he forgot. Also funny he saw the Polestar in the taillights, but not in the headlights and didn't mention it on the brakes.
  • Weird he didn't mention the AVAS sound, he backed it out of the garage, you can hear it clearly inside the car.
  • Not particularly surprised he didn't mention the fact the car qualifies for the US tax credit vs Teslas, but considering how much he harped on the price difference, he should have.
He asked me why I opted for it vs the Model 3, and I told him pretty plainly that while Tesla makes good EVs, I wanted a good car. Interesting thing is he really liked the car, and preferred it over the Model 3 when I spoke to him.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,085 Posts

So, I didn't tell him much before he tested it, pointed out a few things here and there, but largely left it for him to figure out. He mentioned a familiarity with Volvo, so it did seem like he came into it pretty cold, assuming it would be a lot like the Polestar 1. He did see the window sticker, so he should've noticed, and noted that it had the Performance Pack. Also, this was filmed back in early February, so old software obviously. After watching it, there are a few interesting... quirks:
  • I told him the Polestar stickers were removed, guess he forgot. Also funny he saw the Polestar in the taillights, but not in the headlights and didn't mention it on the brakes.
  • Weird he didn't mention the AVAS sound, he backed it out of the garage, you can hear it clearly inside the car.
  • Not particularly surprised he didn't mention the fact the car qualifies for the US tax credit vs Teslas, but considering how much he harped on the price difference, he should have.
He asked me why I opted for it vs the Model 3, and I told him pretty plainly that while Tesla makes good EVs, I wanted a good car. Interesting thing is he really liked the car, and preferred it over the Model 3 when I spoke to him.
Thanks for offering up your ride for this!
Worth pinging him to note the things he forgot and point out that the $7500 federal incentive brings the price points much closer?

Edit: Even without those caveats, his bottom line was "heart goes with Polestar 2, head with Model 3" which I think sums it up nicely and in line with the Top Gear Chris Harris review one thread over. It's hard to argue rationally against the Model 3 - more range, better charging network, and for less money (in the US at least) - but the Polestar has more balanced/composed dynamics (subjective, some prefer Model 3), looks way better in/out (objective fact), and is set up to be driven by a human not a supposedly automated system.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Thanks for offering up your ride for this!
Worth pinging him to note the things he forgot and point out that the $7500 federal incentive brings the price points much closer?
I might reach out just to touch base now that the video is up, but I don't think I'll correct anything since he probably won't go back and change it.

His comments are, unfortunately, pretty typical of how people review EVs, comparing range, 0-60, and price. The ID.4, and VWs push to be compared against ICE Crossovers in the segment might help change that.

Reactions: polerad

·
Registered
720 Posts
So bored of reviews that lazily compare this car to a Model 3. Just review the car, then compare if you must. Let the car stand on its own
Same. I get it, and this review is almost 2 months old, but sometimes it's worth looking at the car on its own merits. I'm well and truly over people putting them into the range/charging/0-60 box along side Teslas.

·
Registered
78 Posts
This is Mr. PS 2' favorite car YouTuber so we've been waiting for this. He offered ours up but we're far away. Glad it was a car from a forum member, cool!

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Same. I get it, and this review is almost 2 months old, but sometimes it's worth looking at the car on its own merits. I'm well and truly over people putting them into the range/charging/0-60 box along side Teslas.
Couldn't agree more. It's like EVs aren't really cars yet, they are just Tesla offshoots. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
720 Posts
Tesla is really good at defining those metrics on their own terms and also riding the libertarian narrative of "AMeRicAn ENtrEpReneUr did It AGaIn"
Yup. They've done a good job of setting the bar in a way that favors them, despite all the ways they fall apart when compared to other cars (foreshadowing!).

It's funny this video dropped today, with this comparison, considering I was just reading about a guy who's Tesla is an absolute mess. Like, it didn't come with the rear badge... wtf?
PSA: Make sure to look your Tesla over closely on delivery day. I got my Model Y a week ago and have a laundry list of issues. Hopefully my service appointment goes well. : electricvehicles (reddit.com)

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
They did define the segment which is great. But it's time for journalists to move on. A Chevy Bolt is a great EV, but it shouldn't be compared to a Tesla anymore than a P2 should.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,436 Posts
My take on Doug's review- The Polestar 2 is a niche car which is great looking both inside & out.
SOLD
I have never chosen a new car based on its economy or 0-60 time.
I am more than happy for reviewers to rate the Tesla Model 3 as better. Keep the Polestar under the radar please. Love that it's hard to identify. That was a huge selling point to me.

Maybe us Polestar drivers are all a little bit 'niche' in our own way.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Niche = weird (maybe even)... My Dad is a mechanic (and has been for pretty much 60 years) and he has been quite interested in the car when we have spoken, last night he openly said he was surprised I had taken a punt on such a new piece of technology.

601 - 620 of 656 Posts