Polestar Forum banner

621 - 640 of 656 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Ah... Well, I guess it has been a bit risky... New car and new company... But the car itself seems one of the least risky implementations to me. It's closer to a traditional car than the Teslas with great performance and design.

But, yeah, I sweated a lot of things out early on.

Reactions: Mick

·
Registered
520 Posts
It is the tech I think. The car is steeped in success, having heralded from Volvo originally, but the massive dependency on the tech and the charging infrastructure here in the UK is/was a leap (and I still think that).

·
Registered
621 Posts
I agree on the risk aspect. If this was my sole mode of transportation for my wife and I both, it would be too much risk, but as we have two other vehicles and my travel needs even post-pandemic will fit the EV profile perfectly (mostly trips under 100mi with the ability to charge only at home most of the time), it's not much risk for me. I like the reviews from journalists/reviewers that understand the use cases today for BEV's and review accordingly. And that can project out realistically for the next couple of years. Too many compare to an ICE or to a Tesla and frame up everything on that basis.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I agree on the risk aspect. If this was my sole mode of transportation for my wife and I both, it would be too much risk, but as we have two other vehicles and my travel needs even post-pandemic will fit the EV profile perfectly (mostly trips under 100mi with the ability to charge only at home most of the time), it's not much risk for me. I like the reviews from journalists/reviewers that understand the use cases today for BEV's and review accordingly. And that can project out realistically for the next couple of years. Too many compare to an ICE or to a Tesla and frame up everything on that basis.
This is my family's only car, so you can say I took a huge risk. Then again, in a pintch Enterprise will deliver a car to your door in 30 minutes.

I've bought several cars over the years that were first year models. Most were fantastic. Knock wood the P2 has been great so far too.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Same here, we were going to sell our A4 but decided with the real-world range and charging numbers I saw once I had joined this forum that to retain it would be best. Ended up being a good decision as Mrs S is too scared to drive the P*!!!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Because it's too powerful? I have to teach my 15 yo daughter how to drive on this car and I just hope she can handle it without being scared.
I asked my wife if she wanted to drive my car, and she said she "doesn't know how." I had to explain to her that I can tap a few settings and the car will behave like an old automatic. I think she's a little scared too though...

Reactions: Mick

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I asked my wife if she wanted to drive my car, and she said she "doesn't know how." I had to explain to her that I can tap a few settings and the car will behave like an old automatic. I think she's a little scared too though...
I will definitely set it up that way. I just wish there was a way to dial back about 50% of the power.

·
Premium Member
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,293 Posts
Stick a brick under the accelerator pedal - there, I fixed it :)

(Disappointingly, I wasn't able to find a suitable meme for this. However I did enjoy looking at lots of "There, I fixed it" photos instead...)

·
Registered
2021 2
2,085 Posts

Chris Harris talks for a few sec about the Polestar2 but as usual gives it to Tesla for the charging network.

I guess I’ve never experienced the delta. Is the Tesla network that much more worth it than the nonTesla network?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I guess I’ve never experienced the delta. Is the Tesla network that much more worth it than the nonTesla network?
4 months into ownership, I’ve used public charging exactly twice, and without issue or actually really needing it (more an abundance-of-caution move in both cases). So I’m not sure what reviewers are on about when making a recommendation based on charging network. My best guess it that they don’t own an EV, and are envisioning their current experience of having to go get gas all the time, but with fewer gas stations, when the reality is more like having a pump in your garage at home.

·
Registered
magnesium/slate/19"/tow/18xxx
78 Posts
Yes it is, for now. Tesla supercharging is very well integrated with the car navigation, range estimation, is no-hassle plug and charge at reasonable /kWh rates.
On the other hand - now speaking through my Corona-lockdown tunnel vision though - here in Belgium fast chargers by FastNed, Ionity and Allego pop up like mushrooms and rates are dropping.
Getting the damn thing to deliver current through the plug at a charging station can be frustratingly unreliable at times, but it is getting better all the time. For example in the US, ChargePoint has an AAOS app which will bring the charging experience very close to Tesla's.
At least one of those companies will succeed in making charging for non-Tesla frictionless, since they are in competition with each other AND Tesla. Eventually non-Tesla charging can become better/cheaper/faster and steal away Tesla drivers from the supercharging network. The other way around I don't see happening very soon, it just doesn't fit the Silicon Valley ideology.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
This car looks familiar...

So, I didn't tell him much before he tested it, pointed out a few things here and there, but largely left it for him to figure out. He mentioned a familiarity with Volvo, so it did seem like he came into it pretty cold, assuming it would be a lot like the Polestar 1. He did see the window sticker, so he should've noticed, and noted that it had the Performance Pack. Also, this was filmed back in early February, so old software obviously. After watching it, there are a few interesting... quirks:
  • I told him the Polestar stickers were removed, guess he forgot. Also funny he saw the Polestar in the taillights, but not in the headlights and didn't mention it on the brakes.
  • Weird he didn't mention the AVAS sound, he backed it out of the garage, you can hear it clearly inside the car.
  • Not particularly surprised he didn't mention the fact the car qualifies for the US tax credit vs Teslas, but considering how much he harped on the price difference, he should have.
He asked me why I opted for it vs the Model 3, and I told him pretty plainly that while Tesla makes good EVs, I wanted a good car. Interesting thing is he really liked the car, and preferred it over the Model 3 when I spoke to him.
He also didn't mention the glovebox take away tab, the pen holder, or the Card Slot. No mention of the "hay google" commands either.

I'm sure you did you best to go through everything, but there is a lot to cover so I'm sure things got missed or left on the edit floor.

I got the Polestar because I didn't want large panel gaps, or chipped paint, spoilers falling off, interior trim falling down etc... Yes they are getting better every year, but still will be decades before they nail all components to a high standard imho.

·
Registered
magnesium/slate/19"/tow/18xxx
78 Posts
I got the Polestar because I didn't want large panel gaps, or chipped paint, spoilers falling off, interior trim falling down etc... Yes they are getting better every year, but still will be decades before they nail all components to a high standard imho.
Same here. I refrained from buying a Tesla because of this.
Software and charging infrastructure is upgraded while you sleep, a poorly assembled car is not

·
Registered
133 Posts
'Built by people that don't really seem to care about build quality' - the man says it!

Maybe the Polestar demographic are a little more discerning?

·
Premium Member
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,293 Posts
In the UK, the motorway and highway (A road) charging infrastructure is absolutely dismal unless you own a Tesla. However now that Gridserve have bought 25% of Ecotricity and are going round upgrading all of the ancient chargers to modern 150kW and 350kW ones, and with new Gridserve and BP Pulse EV charging stations (big service stations with cafes etc) popping up over the next couple of years, that situation is rapidly changing. Unless you live in Wales, where it seems that you can drive for 50 miles or more and still not come close to a 50kW charger!

621 - 640 of 656 Posts