Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sharing for all, I just received my P2 this morning and I noticed that the recommended charge by Polestar is now 90% and not 80% as I was reading a lot on this forum (sorry it is in French but I guess it is clear for all :) ):
IMG_9454.jpeg

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok so maybe I am mistaken and thought that all previous model were recommended to charge up to 80 and not 90. My bad then :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Mine says 80% - i must have older software

·
Registered
15 Posts
Interesting. Ipace owner here. Possible P2 in my future. Jaguar just says charge to 100% as much as you want. Won't hurt. I know Tesla also doesn't recommend charging to 100. The Ipace keeps a large buffer of 5 kWh to protect the battery (90kWh with 84.7 available). I thought the P2 also did this? I haven't seen any battery degradation after 1 year / 19500 km. The Tesla seem to drop up to 5% in first yr.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks for the post Fabrice. Good of you to share the update.

I must admit it sounds like psuedo science limiting it to 80%. Unless I misunderstand it, it is all to do with not charging all the cells all the time and therefore reducing the amount of damage done by charging. For example of the cell is good for 100 charges then you can give its life a 25% boost by charging it only 80 times out of 100. Sounds good in theory but I don't think they have the evidence to be conclusive on this.

It's also worth noting that the warrenty is for 8 years 100k miles and as far as I or they know you can do what you want to those batteries. Super charge them twice a day if you want as they can't tell you how to charge them. But it's only if they drop to less than 70% capacity within 8 years that they wil replace them so supercharge them for 8 years and have 71% remaining it's on you to fix them.

I'll stick to charging to 80% because i use less than 20% a day and can plug it on at home whenever but I wouldn't be too concerned if it was charged more as that's a problem for 8 years time.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Interesting. Ipace owner here. Possible P2 in my future. Jaguar just says charge to 100% as much as you want. Won't hurt. I know Tesla also doesn't recommend charging to 100. The Ipace keeps a large buffer of 5 kWh to protect the battery (90kWh with 84.7 available). I thought the P2 also did this? I haven't seen any battery degradation after 1 year / 19500 km. The Tesla seem to drop up to 5% in first yr.
Polestar 2 has 78kWh battery with 75kWh available but apparently there are buffers both top and bottom end. 90% is probably a reasonable figure for regular charging. The new recommended level is, I suspect, more for marketing reasons than technical given the poor economy. JLR had A similar challenge when they upped the range?

·
Super Moderator
655 Posts
78kWh with 75kWh usable means there's a 3kWh buffer, by definition. That's why the Polestar takes an absolute age to charge fully to 100%, because it's got a very small (indeed) top buffer. It's also why regen is severely limited until you've used a few more kWh. This is why I don't expect to see much range "unlocked" as Audi and Jaguar have done, as they had far bigger buffers to start with.

It's also why the rapid charge curve is agressive to 80%, then suddenly massively drops; they're pushing their luck to hold the charge rate to 80% (for marketing purposes) when really it should taper off evenly. I think they've got all they're going to get out of the battery.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I thought it was 72.8kW from 78kw ... and they were hiding 5.2kW, although I've seen many articles that varied the amount.

·
Super Moderator
655 Posts
I'll have to watch Bjorn Nyland's tests again - he normally calculates the actual amount available based on his low and high speed test runs...

Reactions: smithers197

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Must be 72.8 because I'm so sure I read it somewhere, and a lot of reviewers were saying 73kW, which I assumed they just rounded up for ease.

·
Super Moderator
655 Posts
Well, it's 72.8kWh that's gone into moving at 90kph, and 69.8kWh at 120kph - it varies due to the internal resistance of the batteries having a self-heating effect which increases as the temperature rises (due to increased load on the battery), so I'd suspect without this effect, i.e. purely in terms of available capacity, it's 75kWh usable. In other words, if you drove (almost) endlessly at 10mph, you'd probably measure around 75kWh.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Surely there is a bottom end buffer as well? (i.e. you can never actually drain the battery totally.)
That was my point. My 75kWh figure was taken from the Polestar website - I can’t find it now but it was definitely there in the early days when I was researching the car.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts