Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talked to a well-informed, great guy named Mike. Here's news:

1. Lots of cars are out in the U.S. for U.S. reviewers. We can expect new reviews from the auto press community soon.
2. The optional tow bar is a port-installed option. Thus, we'll be able to add that feature even if it wasn't part of the original order.
3. The cars will come with the 83 LED/headlamp pixel headlights, but the auto-shading feature will be disabled in the U.S. market. Instead, the headlights will auto-dim as is more conventional here. In the future, though, the feature could be added via OTA updates if they get DOT approval.
4. First deliveries in the U.S. are expected between mid-September and the first week of October.
5. Polestar Spaces will be reaching out to customers with confirmed orders in about a week to go over the order details.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did they mention any progress on service? I suspect this is a deal-breaker for almost all customers until they get it sorted.
For some unexplainable reason, I'm not at all worried about service. I suspect I'm naively putting too much faith in the brand. So I didn't ask Mike any questions about that.

·
Registered
472 Posts
IN the UK the cars come with 3 years servicing (whatever that entails) including collection and delivery. Do they offer this to Canada and the US?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Any word on where in the process the N America bound cars are? If mid September is a realistic early delivery time, then they should be on a ship to here already if not already at port, given it seems to take a month or so for QC and delivery in other markets.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Tesla does not offer a tow hitch from the factory in the US right? So this optional tow bar feature sets the Polestar 2 apart from other EVs, at least in North America, right?

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IN the UK the cars come with 3 years servicing (whatever that entails) including collection and delivery. Do they offer this to Canada and the US?
I'm pretty sure the U.S. gets the three year service as well.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tesla does not offer a tow hitch from the factory in the US right? So this optional tow bar feature sets the Polestar 2 apart from other EVs, at least in North America, right?
Correct. I think a lot of people in the U.S. are using 3rd party towbars. Apparently, the installation takes a while and involves removing body panels.

Of course, if you tow anything, you'll be adding a lot of wind resistance and you can expect your range to drop precipitously. That being said, you never know when it would come in handy for a boat or to help somebody move in town, right?

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UK cars (made in US) had a factory towbar option if i remember correctly.
That's my understanding, too. I hadn't realized there's a bit of a cultural difference here... that towing capacity matters more in Europe. Perhaps people caravan more?

·
Registered
59 Posts
That's my understanding, too. I hadn't realized there's a bit of a cultural difference here... that towing capacity matters more in Europe. Perhaps people caravan more?
The U.S. has higher speed limits for towing, which may explain why nearly all car manufacturers decrease the towing rating for vehicles in North America compared to the same vehicle in Europe.

I found this video to be informative:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm pretty sure the U.S. gets the three year service as well.
They do in theory offer service in the US, however it is only available within 150 miles of their service centers in LA, SF and NY.

Just in case you're curious, that's around 150k square miles, of the 3.8 million sq miles that make up the US, or in short - warranty service can only be obtained in 3% of the US. If you're in the 97% you're SOL.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just joined - thanks for whoever recruited me on Twitter 😍👋🏽 I ordered mine in January, was immediately given August delivery, which slipped to September after a few days. I went to the Polestar pop up in LA this weekend and the contracted employees suggest the vehicles will arrive in the US in September, but have to “sit” until November? Didn’t say why, no other confirmations.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They do in theory offer service in the US, however it is only available within 150 miles of their service centers in LA, SF and NY.

Just in case you're curious, that's around 150k square miles, of the 3.8 million sq miles that make up the US, or in short - warranty service can only be obtained in 3% of the US. If you're in the 97% you're SOL.
Well, as I've said, I'm probably being naively optimistic, but I don't expect to be abandoned. As it is, they say they'll deliver within x miles of a Polestar Space, but when I called New York, they indicated that I'd have plenty of options for the delivery, including having it delivered to my house for a small additional fee. So I'm guessing (betting?) that they'll take care of me if I have a problem.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just joined - thanks for whoever recruited me on Twitter 😍👋🏽 I ordered mine in January, was immediately given August delivery, which slipped to September after a few days. I went to the Polestar pop up in LA this weekend and the contracted employees suggest the vehicles will arrive in the US in September, but have to “sit” until November? Didn’t say why, no other confirmations.
Back in 2009 when I anxiously awaited my BMW from Germany, I followed the car the whole way. I even was paying attention to wind direction and wave action as the ship worked across the Atlantic, lol. Back then, there was a delay in port as the vehicles had to get through customs. Perhaps that's what the LA Space was thinking.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Back in 2009 when I anxiously awaited my BMW from Germany, I followed the car the whole way. I even was paying attention to wind direction and wave action as the ship worked across the Atlantic, lol. Back then, there was a delay in port as the vehicles had to get through customs. Perhaps that's what the LA Space was thinking.
I am very much in that same mindset. I tried researching shipping containers in the Pacific, but didn’t know where to start 😂 Even if it is delayed, I’m sticking to the pre-order and will update y’all on dates. The Model Y has tried to coercing me, but not with that quality 🤮 (Topic for another thread hehehe).

·
Registered
651 Posts
I am very much in that same mindset. I tried researching shipping containers in the Pacific, but didn’t know where to start 😂 Even if it is delayed, I’m sticking to the pre-order and will update y’all on dates. The Model Y has tried to coercing me, but not with that quality 🤮 (Topic for another thread hehehe).
hi! I think I saw your tweets and posted them here. Welcome!

after your tweets I called customer service ( I know Mike and Alane far too well now). Mike was able to confirm for me that my specific order was still OK for a midSept-early Oct timeline. Might be worth calling to double check for you. Apparently we are supposed to get VIN numbers and tracking info once they get the US web account backend fully up and running, in this next week or so. If you notice the current my account page redirects to a UK site so I think a lot of inconsistency and confusion is related to differences between here and there. And that they didn’t exactly hire experts to staff the popups like you indicated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
hi! I think I saw your tweets and posted them here. Welcome!

after your tweets I called customer service ( I know Mike and Alane far too well now). Mike was able to confirm for me that my specific order was still OK for a midSept-early Oct timeline. Might be worth calling to double check for you. Apparently we are supposed to get VIN numbers and tracking info once they get the US web account backend fully up and running, in this next week or so. If you notice the current my account page redirects to a UK site so I think a lot of inconsistency and confusion is related to differences between here and there. And that they didn’t exactly hire experts to staff the popups like you indicated.
Thanks for this! Turns out Mike called and left a voicemail for me this morning - I completely missed it. He expressed the same information to me. The folks at the pop-up were telling preorder holders that delivery is delayed to November, but November is when new orders placed today should arrive. My delivery window is still late September / early October as well! 🤩

1 - 20 of 43 Posts