Polestar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Polestar 2 still easy to be stolen (compared to polestar 1) because it is not using UWB (Ultra Wide Band) for enhanced Key Security?
This Link here ( https://assets.adac.de/image/upload...der_vom_ADAC_untersucht_04_05_2020_n804eh.pdf ) (German) shows 380 Cars and if they are easy to be hacked via Relay attacks, the Polestar 1 is there and it says:
yes for illegal opening and
yes for illegal engine starting

so, I would be interested if this is still the case with the Polestar 2 and if yes, what polestar is planing to do about it. Because many insurances will not pay for this because there was no breaking in. (depends on the clauses) I would like polestar to be more open about the technology they use. Because security by obscurity is not reliable.
Does anyone here have more information? The polestar hotline was not helpful this far. Thank you.

·
Registered
'21 2 | Palo Alto, CA
883 Posts
Is the Polestar 2 still easy to be stolen (compared to polestar 1) because it is not using UWB (Ultra Wide Band) for enhanced Key Security?
This Link here ( https://assets.adac.de/image/upload/v1600157603/ADAC-eV/KOR/Text/PDF/28641_Liste_Keyless-Autos_und_Motorräder_vom_ADAC_untersucht_04_05_2020_n804eh.pdf ) (German) shows 380 Cars and if they are easy to be hacked via Relay attacks, the Polestar 1 is there and it says:
yes for illegal opening and
yes for illegal engine starting

so, I would be interested if this is still the case with the Polestar 2 and if yes, what polestar is planing to do about it. Because many insurances will not pay for this because there was no breaking in. (depends on the clauses) I would like polestar to be more open about the technology they use. Because security by obscurity is not reliable.
Does anyone here have more information? The polestar hotline was not helpful this far. Thank you.
Thanks for raising this!
Trying to understand the exact details of what's known and not known.
Do we know if Polestar 2 is using a different authentication scheme than Polestar 1 for its keys? As an aside, could that be the reason that the app and phone-as-a-key has to be totally re-done?

If not, is this something Polestar can enable via software or is it something that required different hardware?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I suspect that they intended to have the phone app ready which would not be suspectible to this issue and that most people would then leave the physical fobs safely at home. Then they realised that the app wouldn't be ready and had to hastily ship the keys/fobs.

I doubt they will 'fix' the fobs to prevent relay theft - instead they will just say 'the app is coming'.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts