Polestar Forum banner

LAPD officer thinks my headlights are "too bright"

4K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  Skalamanga 
#1 ·
Driving late at night in LA and across from me at the intersection is LAPD. They honk their horn but I had no idea why. Light turns green and as I'm passing them they turn on their spotlight on my face. They make a U-Turn and tell me that my high beams are on and to turn it off. I tell them and show them that they're not on high beam but then they say that my headlights are blinding and a hazard. I don't agree with them and told them that them flashing their spotlight on my face while I'm driving is more hazardous than my own headlights.

Not trying to rant or anything but it just goes to show that these headlights are really good at illuminating the road ahead. That being said, anyone think that the headlights might cause the Polestar 2 to not get IIHS Top Safety Pick + because they too think it's "too bright"?

#2 ·
You sure they are correctly aligned - there was a spate of cars delivered in Europe with them miles out. Here's how to check (sorry, this is in Metres, you'll have to translate!).

Park on a perfectly flat surface directly next to a wall. Mark the top of the beam on the wall.

Reverse back exactly 10M, the top of the beam on the wall should now be 12cm lower. If it stayed the same or got higher, then the lights are misaligned. In a nutshell, the beam should go down by 1.2%

#11 · (Edited)
im really surprised that with the MATRIX lights that they didn't think to use that 'programmable functionality' to aim them (blank the top) a bit lower/correctly for us here in the US as a default, that's one of the benefits of such tech.. such an 'easy fix'...

hopefully you didn't get a ticket.. and if you did, forward it to Polestar ASAP

$0.02

#13 ·
It’s not a US / Europe issue. They were simply not mechanically aligned correctly in the factory. Affected hundreds, maybe thousands of vehicles over here. The US ones should have been correct though as most if not all of them were shipped after the issue was discovered. Who knows!

Until the OP checks his, this is all hypothetical anyway - could have just been an over zealous policeman....

The matrix system cannot be used for correcting vertical errors because it’s only three pixels high!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.