Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

Registered
2021 Polestar 2
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it looks like today will be the day to test out how this car performs in the snow on UK roads. I鈥檓 sure our Scandinavian friends already have vast experience but this is one of those rare days it now seems. Any tips or does this car handle like a dream in these artic conditions 馃お.

Premium Member
What tires are on those wheels? I've switched over to winter tires, so I'm ready. I'm not sure what tires came with your 20" wheels, but if they're summer tires, please don't push it in the snow.

Registered

On Summer Tyres. :censored:

Registered
2.2 tonnes and summer tyres are not a recipe I'd want to try...
It's not something I "want" to try ... might be something I need to try. Currently waiting to see if the snow melts a bit and the roads get cleaner ... then make a dash home.

Registered
Not sure if you are trying to be helpful or trying to scare the crap out of me. o_O

I'm fully away of the differences ... problem is in the UK we don't generally swap tyres in the South of England. When it does snow I just stay where we are or find a hotel to camp out in rather than risk it.

The biggest issue is that 99% of people don't swap ... but then still try and drive. So when I did have All-Seasons on my Kia Sorento I'd stop and others would hit me ... or just slide into me anyway. After that I just decided screw it ... I won't drive when it snows ... not worth the aggro with other useless drivers and saves me the bother of swapping tyres.

Registered
Even 4 wheel drive does not do much good on summer tyres, perennial UK problem as we don't have enough days under 7掳c to make winter tyres worthwhile (in the south anyway). I carry Autosock for emergency use in case you get caught out away from home (AutoSock snow socks), I assume its best to put them on the front wheels for steering - assuming the polestar drives through all 4 wheels permanently (anyone know?). Has anyone considered 'All Season' tyres, I have heard that 'Good Year Vector All Seasons ' are good but I'm not sure they're available in the Polestar wheel size???

Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
I have swapped to all season tyres on every car over the last 6 years except for this one so far. My first experience of driving summer tyres in the snow in Germany (still only 2C, same as UK here today) resulted in me nearly being arrested for driving irresponsibly due to having summer tyres on. My friends were shocked and left me in no doubt as to how stupid it is to drive in snow with summer tyres. I then bought a set of winter tyres... never again will I drive on snow in summer tyres!!

Any car in winter tyres will drive in circles around any 4x4 with summer tyres as soon as there's a hint of snow, slush or slipperiness. My wife's Zoe has Goodyear Vector All Season tyres on and they've been great; her previous Yaris had Nokians which were also great.

Yes, the Polestar is full time 4wd. Someone on here (I forget who, sorry!) was in the process of getting some all-season tyres but I don't know if the swap's happened yet. I had Continental AllSeason Contact tyres on my Kona Electric and they were fantastic, but sadly not available on the huge wheels on the Polestar. However the ranges are expanding all the time.

Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
This is one of my favourite videos to show people who think that summer tyres are "just fine, I've never had an accident blah blah" in the snow, or worse, think that because they've bought a 4x4, it's suddenly good in the snow...

Registered
This is one of my favourite videos to show people who think that summer tyres are "just fine, I've never had an accident blah blah" in the snow, or worse, think that because they've bought a 4x4, it's suddenly good in the snow...

Actually I used that video to show my wife why we didn't need a 4x4 and getting a RWD car was fine, as Tyres were more important than a 4x4 on it's own.

She agreed and I never got Snow tyres for the RWD car ... just never went out when it snowed!

Premium Member
I spent the last 11 years with a RWD, stick shift car, swapping out to winter tires every November. In all that time, I never got stuck... not once. And I did plenty of driving in a snowstorm and on snow-covered roads.

I think AWD is fine, but it's overplayed here. My father claimed it was all part of a great marketing campaign by the American Auto Industrial Complex. I think he was right about that.

Registered
2021 2
Can anyone point to some official description of whether the stock 19鈥 nonPP Michelin primacy tires are all season or not? They don鈥檛 have the typical markings of all season tires as far as I can tell.

Registered
2021 Polestar 2
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What tires are on those wheels? I've switched over to winter tires, so I'm ready. I'm not sure what tires came with your 20" wheels, but if they're summer tires, please don't push it in the snow.
Yes standard summer tyres. Decided against the trips out today in mine and went with her indoors F Pace instead as that has 鈥楽now mode鈥. I sense this is a feature we should get in time to dumb down the power delivery.

Registered
2021 Polestar 2
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not sure if you are trying to be helpful or trying to scare the crap out of me. o_O

I'm fully away of the differences ... problem is in the UK we don't generally swap tyres in the South of England. When it does snow I just stay where we are or find a hotel to camp out in rather than risk it.

The biggest issue is that 99% of people don't swap ... but then still try and drive. So when I did have All-Seasons on my Kia Sorento I'd stop and others would hit me ... or just slide into me anyway. After that I just decided screw it ... I won't drive when it snows ... not worth the aggro with other useless drivers and saves me the bother of swapping tyres.
A very sensible plan and agree 100% with all that you鈥檝e said. Tyre swapping really not necessary for me for the odd day of snow here and there. Certainly bottled it today once I saw some of the idiots driving past the house!

Registered
Someone on here (I forget who, sorry!) was in the process of getting some all-season tyres but I don't know if the swap's happened yet.
I swapped the Conti SportContact summer tires that came on the car to Conti ExtremeContact DWS06. I can definitely tell the difference in the cold. We haven't got much snow yet, but it's been below freezing quite a bit.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts