Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

This may be my first post, but i've been reading the forum for some time now.

What I'd like to know is whether this car is for me or not.

This will be my first EV, so it's a big step (in the right direction).
I'm a big Volvo "consumer", having owned a 340, a 440, a S40, a S60, another S40 and currently driving a V40 T4.
Since the begin of the year my town (and the surrounding villages) is completely limited to 30 km/h (+/- 18 mi/h), making my V40 a little thirsty...
I often do small trips, not exceeding 10 to 15 km ( 6 - 9 mi).
Currently the largest distance i've traveled in one go with my car is about 350 km ( 220 mi?).
From what i've read so far i'd need to charge at least once on the way, i'm not to worried about that.

I don't like (but don't dislike) the XC40, so my choice is pointing towards the P*2.
Is this car for me or not, taking into consideration the way I move around or should I consider something else?

Thanks in advance ;)

·
Registered
702 Posts
I am no expert, but I guess it could work given you will never really use your charge that you add at home (part from those infrequent journeys) and can probably get away with a granny charging cable with those small distances. I would imagine (and others will know better) that your consumption will not necessarily be great with the small journeys (particularly in winter and I am sure you have read some of the threads about this). With your longer journeys you will be able to plan your route around a coffee/sandwich/wee stop and the world will be a happy place...

My 5 week/200 mile odd ownership says yes it is a great car, which has some small issues that are seemingly mostly software related these days and being sorted, and I am patient at the moment.

I will let some of the more knowledgeable EV SMEs comment (as I am a first time EV owner) on the sensibility of the decision.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Even if the P2 is not great for range at short trips, it will still be loads better than a non-EV. Having said that, I think if you are very much mostly short trips then it may be worth looking at a hybrid as there is plenty of choice (inc xc40) and most of these can do 20-30 miles on battery alone. If costs are similar then def go P2
I am also mainly a short journey guy but doing enough 40-milers to go full electric and having had a BMW i3 I would not go back to non-electric and looking forward to my P2 in a few weeks

·
Registered
2021 2
2,587 Posts
Hello everybody,

This may be my first post, but i've been reading the forum for some time now.

What I'd like to know is whether this car is for me or not.

This will be my first EV, so it's a big step (in the right direction).
I'm a big Volvo "consumer", having owned a 340, a 440, a S40, a S60, another S40 and currently driving a V40 T4.
Since the begin of the year my town (and the surrounding villages) is completely limited to 30 km/h (+/- 18 mi/h), making my V40 a little thirsty...
I often do small trips, not exceeding 10 to 15 km ( 6 - 9 mi).
Currently the largest distance i've traveled in one go with my car is about 350 km ( 220 mi?).
From what i've read so far i'd need to charge at least once on the way, i'm not to worried about that.

I don't like (but don't dislike) the XC40, so my choice is pointing towards the P*2.
Is this car for me or not, taking into consideration the way I move around or should I consider something else?

Thanks in advance ;)
The Polestar 2 is kind of a tuned S40/S60 that’s much quicker and more powerful, quieter, raised a couple inches (batteries...), has a hatchback, one less front cup holder, and some less range. But you can fill up at home.

If you’re not bothered having to charge once for 150-200mi trips then I think you’ll be happy.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The Polestar 2 is kind of a tuned S40/S60 that’s much quicker and more powerful, quieter, raised a couple inches (batteries...), has a hatchback, one less front cup holder, and some less range. But you can fill up at home.

If you’re not bothered having to charge once for 150-200mi trips then I think you’ll be happy.
That's a very good description!

I've only been driving around the nearby area myself, and if anything, getting in the habit of topping up the charge every night means I don't care about the fact that it consumes more battery on short trips.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
I love not having to stop on the way to work and having to stand in freezing temperatures in the wind while waiting for a slow pump to get 15 gallons of gas in the car.

I love it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If that can help you: I live in Brussels where there is this same speed limit and also doing mostly small city trips and the car is great! I charge roughly once a week on public chargers and never had any stress once passed the learning phase on where those are ;)

Also, I sometimes go to Paris (300kms away) and I stop for 30-40mns mid-way at a rapid charger...time to relax and get a coffee.

I was also new to EV only 4 months ago but now totally converted and no regrets at all :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@fabrice Just another question, in our beloved (🤔) city, do you use one pedal driving? Some messages on the forum seem to imply that it doesn't do much or maybe (probably 😅) I didn't understand everything on the subject. All of this is new to me 😲

·
Registered
2021 2
2,587 Posts
@fabrice Just another question, in our beloved (🤔) city, do you use one pedal driving? Some messages on the forum seem to imply that it doesn't do much or maybe (probably 😅) I didn't understand everything on the subject. All of this is new to me 😲
Not sure how much translates between here and there, but I use OPD Standard as my default in all cases. If I want less consumption and have long stretches of highway, I might switch to OPD off just for the highway.

OPD Off and coasting as much as possible is the most efficient mode. Each form of braking first uses regen up to a certain point after which friction takes over. And regen is <100% efficient. So in principle best to not touch any active braking and let normal air resistance and road friction losses slow you down until you really need it.

That said, in the city, on the hills, or in moderate traffic highway driving you'll likely be modulating speed up/down with good frequency. In those cases I find OPD gives a tighter control of accel/decel since you don't have the lag of the (oh so taxing!) physical movement between the pedals. So I only consider OPD off if I'm not expecting to modulate speed a lot, like a long stretch of highway that has minimal traffic.

While OPD Standard is definitely a bit less efficient than OPD Off, its on the order of a 5% - which is not enough for me to find compelling for routine use, although that could be the difference between turtle mode or not.

YMMV and I know some folks here like OPD off or Low for their default instead

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, if I understand, in city traffic the way to go is OPD and once on the highway/higher speed traffic it has to go off or on a lower level?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts