Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This has been moved from a separate thread into this thread as it is sticky - therefore early responses below will seem to be out of place!

I will aim to continue maintaining this as long as it can be useful to everyone.

---> Download a PDF of the user manual here <---

---> Download a PDF describing the infotainment system here <---

Here's what I've amassed so far from this forum, SpeakEV, and the Facebook UK pages:

Things to check on delivery:
  • Missing jack
  • Missing first aid kit
  • Check for scratches on piano-black gloss panel around the gear selector
  • Keyless entry and boot-open-by-waving-your-feet detection not working for some people
  • Plugsurfing card should now be included
  • Max charge rate set to only 6A - make sure you increase it to maximum
  • Signing in with a Gsuite email address fails; need to sign in with a Gmail account
  • Check rear windows when closed - they seem to have a lot of play in sometimes (10mm or more!) although some play is "by design"
  • Make sure the manual is in your language!
  • Check the tyre pressures as they may be way off
  • Make sure the tyres are all on the right way round!
  • Make sure you try the charging cable as some have been duds
  • Infotainment system version numbers (as of 23rd October): Android 9, security patch level 1 November 2020; Kernel version 4.19.80-PKT-191023T190243Z-g01dc27021903, #1 Fri Oct 23 12:24:12 CEST 2020; Build number PAG1.200706.001.ARTINFO.PAD.8-448-gc36bce224. Note this does not reflect the version numbers of individual ECUs in the car.
  • Watch for misting up of the headlights - if this doesn't clear by itself, they will need looking at by any Volvo dealer.
Known issues:
  • 4G (internet) connection appears to drop out completely. One fix for this is to restart the infotainment system (press and hold the narrow bar below the screen for 30 seconds). If this doesn't work, swipe down from the top of the screen and you should see "Sign into network"; tap on this and it should take you to a web page. Click "Accept and Connect".
  • Google Assistant sometimes stops responding to voice commands. If restarting the infotainment doesn't work (see fix above for 4G), try uninstalling Google Assistant from the list of apps, then reboot the system. It should automatically re-install Google Assistant, which fixes it for some people.
  • Sometimes charging continues beyond the set point (e.g. 80%) right up to 100% - this seems to happen if charging is interrupted and then resumed (e.g. door opened and closed) or using an external charger that has a timed charging facility
  • When plugging into a rapid charger with a heavy cable, hold/support the cable while the initial connection takes place to ensure it starts charging properly; failed "handshake" with the charger seems to be down to this
  • Over-The-Air update facility fitted to all new cars delivered from mid-November but will require collection/dealership reprogramming if not already installed
  • Timed charging not yet available - this won't arrive until mid-2021! 😳 🤬
  • App not yet available - expected early 2021
  • In-car climate pre-conditioning (setting the car's internal temp automatically or from an app) not yet available - expected end 2020 or early 2021
  • Ability to set up an in-car WiFi hotspot using your own SIM card not yet available
  • Connection to home WiFi or mobile hotspot seems to only work if WPS is disabled on your router; if that still doesn't work, disable 5GHz network band, or split bands to have two separate WiFi networks, one at 2.4GHz and one at 5GHz
  • The car's Google Maps only allows destinations entered to be saved to that key-holder's profile
  • There is a defect in the design of the towing hitch: there is a hole missing to allow access to the threaded rod and which prevents the original towing ring from being screwed into the intended place.
  • Car is almost impossible to charge if PIN security is enabled on the car's infotainment screen
  • No way to display actual tyre pressures (not an issue, just a feature not present you'd expect to see)
  • No way to view kW charging rate, just mph being added (not an issue, just a feature not present you'd expect to see)
  • Demisting/cabin warming/cooling etc stops if you get up off the driver's seat, for instance to go outside and clear snow off the car... not a bug, but annoying! -> Plugging in the driver's seatbelt appears to stop this happening. Also Parking mode can be used for climate control for up to 30 minutes.
  • Annoying rattle from just behind the steering wheel seems common, with no easy fix yet published.
  • iPhone 12 (Mini, Pro, ...) may not charge on wireless charger and may got hot instead. Known issue in Apple's design with many Qi chargers.
  • November 1st release of Infotainment system has a bug where it uses the latest user profile when you get in the car, rather than the profile associated with the key used to unlock the car.
Believed fixed, either in software or pre-delivery inspection:
  • Headlights pointing at the sky
  • 12V battery flattening without warning - though 12V warnings still seem to be occurring on "fixed" cars
  • Car refuses to drive, with fans going crazy and consequently flattening the 12V battery - due to failed high voltage coolant heater sensor; subject of a recall for VINs up to about 2200
  • Car refuses to drive - due to failed inverter during manufacture; subject of a separate recall for early VINs up to about 8000
  • Reversing/360 camera sometimes not working
  • If you select the audio to be driver-focused, it sets the sound up around a left-hand drive car
Answers to questions:
  • Why has my heating/mirrors/seat heating/rear demister/Bluetooth/anything stopped working? - Reboot the infotainment system (press and hold the touch button at the base of the screen for 20 seconds or so until it reboots).
  • Charging - only comes with a 3 phase, 16A cable for home use so max 3.6kW charging in UK even on 7kW 32A untethered chargers - 24hrs to charge from empty!! If you have a tethered cable then you will be able to charge at 7kW (32A/single phase) or 11kW (16A/three phase) as normal.
  • Is there a printed manual or single one to download? No, apart from the one I made by writing some software to download it all :) Download
  • What sort of range will I get? 210-240 miles in general driving in summer, 180-200 miles at 70mph in summer, knock off (estimated) 15-20% in cold wet Winter days.
  • Where is the mechanical emergency release handle for the charging cable? There isn't one, despite what it says in the manual.
  • Why do I hear cooling fans coming on for a few seconds when I unlock the car? This is the climate air quality system blowing fresh air into the car (see manual). However a very loud cooling fan coming on for some minutes indicates the early battery sensor failure in some cars (see above)
  • Can I rotate front and rear wheels? No - they are different widths, both in 19" and 20" rims. On PP cars, the 20" rims have "front" and "rear" markings engraved into the wheel hubs behind the caps, but these markings are not present on the 19" rims. Take note when changing tyres!
To be clear, this is not designed to be negative :) I'm hoping it will help people be realistic about what to expect before, during and after delivery.

·
Super Moderator
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm most of the way through making a script which will log into my orders page, process the page and automatically email me if I get a VIN assigned or a delivery date change :) Anybody fancy a copy of this if I get it working?

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
I'm most of the way through making a script which will log into my orders page, process the page and automatically email me if I get a VIN assigned or a delivery date change :) Anybody fancy a copy of this if I get it working?
Yes, please.

Reactions: rgledhill

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yes please - much easier than logging in every day... :)

Reactions: rgledhill

·
Registered
52 Posts
Very cool. You should do a post just on that and get it stickied too.

·
Super Moderator
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm honoured, never had a post made sticky before! :D (Where's my "We're not worthy" emoji...)

I got it to automatically open the web page, click the "You must be signed in to view this page" button, put in my user details, open the order page and come up with my VIN, which sadly is still "-". I'm aiming to get something into a single Windows program anyone can schedule to run, say, every few hours while their PC is running, and make the Python script available for anyone who wants to run one in the background on a Raspberry Pi or Linux machine. Obviously I neither want nor expect anyone to give me their login details so the program will ask for it and use it locally only.

It'll take me another week or so probably so bear with me :)

·
Super Moderator
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've now got a version of code up and running to automatically check for changes, and have posted about it, but it's stuck in the @Administrator 's queue for approval... I am getting an email every 4 hours telling me "No change" at the moment! Waiting for it to tell me that a change has occurred...

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have been struggling trying to do all the settings and get spotify etc working, and i have to say the manual is completely useless.:mad:

·
Super Moderator
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Oh dear :( I'm updating the manual download now and will put a link up in a minute to the latest PDF (in the top post)...

-> EDITED: added a link in the top post.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So does the section regarding 'parking climate' mean that when plugged in the internal cabin temperate can be regulated from the car settings. If so is this a 'keep the cabin warm in winter' solution until the preconditioning via app becomes available?

·
Registered
195 Posts
So does the section regarding 'parking climate' mean that when plugged in the internal cabin temperate can be regulated from the car settings. If so is this a 'keep the cabin warm in winter' solution until the preconditioning via app becomes available?
The online manual has a section on preconditioning timer settings, controlled from the centre display in the car. The timer can be set to finish preconditioning at a predetermined time.The timer can handle up to 8 different settings for times on one or more weekdays, with or without the repeat function.

Hopefully, if it works that way, that should get us through the winter until the app is available

·
Super Moderator
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As I understand it though, "This feature will be available later in the year via an OTA update". Or is that just from the app? I think the in-car settings aren't ready yet but it would be great to hear from someone who has a car.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Can't see any times settings for preheat/cool. Currently if you swipe right from the main climate screen there is an option to switch on immediately for 30 minutes but that's it.

·
Super Moderator
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's what I heard. On the "Later, dudes" list... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
195 Posts
so the car clearly has the ability to precondition (since you can do it manually now) it must be some really complex software/firmware to introduce the timers ;). Sounds like an hours work for a programmer/software designer. Available from the end of the year

·
Super Moderator
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Updated to add a direct link to the user manual (PDF from Customer Services back in September).

·
Super Moderator
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Updated to be clearer about the two failures due to recalls, and to distinguish between a gentle blast of cabin fans to "clear the air" compared to "Air Force One taking off followed by flat 12V battery" problem. Also added about iPhone 12 not charging.

Reactions: Parker
1 - 20 of 32 Posts