Polestar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Volvo cars for a good few years now have iTPMS (so no pressure sensors in the wheels). It's all done using algorithms around rotational speed, ambient temperature and GPS.

Interesting, and definitely less expensive. But it also allows you to set the "preferred" pressure. I'm surprised it's not preset with the manufacturer's recommended pressure. And of course for us techies, we love to see data -- the more the better. I'd like to know if one tire is 38 while another is 39 (neither of them low). Also, when you put air in, you will need to be able to check the pressure with your own gauge again, rather than just looking on the dash.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My BMW reports the temps and pressures of all four wheels, and even dynamically adjusts the recommended pressures based on temperature. Finally the system is totally live - as you put air in the tyre, you can see the numbers changing on the screen. It knows about winter wheels as well, and one click changes between your different tyres.

The PS system seems very 'last decade' to me...

·
Registered
507 Posts
That sounds good. But I thought someone was complaining that they can't see the pressures anywhere. Does the P2 only report if something is low?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yep - no way of seeing the pressures because the car just doesn't know them. All it can do is deduce is if one of them has changed from the 'norm'.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Boot opening seems to work fine. After my third opening, I have it easy now. Just a quick swipe of the foot under the centre and it starts to open. There is a short pause before it starts to rise. The manual does mention many ways not to do it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Edited to add "High voltage coolant heater sensor" and loose rear windows...

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you have ordered a trailer hitch, and like me the car had to be towed, there is a defect in the design of this added part: there is a hole missing to allow access to the threaded rod and which prevents the original towing ring from being screwed into the intended place. The dealer issued a technical note.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Another tip for delivery, check that the manuals and on-board documents are in your language. I am French-speaking and mine are in German!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks, I've added both!

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you can't read them how do you know it's recording them anywhere? Or for that matter how do you know it's even working at all?
The Polestar 2 uses iTPMS (indirect) as opposed to dTPMS (direct). The direct system uses pressure gauges in the wheels; the indirect system infers tire pressure anomalies from things like relative wheel speed (and other available data). So the car doesn't have actual pressure readings.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Saw this post on the German forum (polestar.fans) implying that a fix or workaround for the 12V issue (and some alarm issue?) is being deployed. Based on the description seems like a patch that is meant to be more resolutely fixed later on.

I'm suspicious that the US deliveries are being held so they have time to work out this and any other more critical items. So hoping this does pan out so I can get my P*2 finally!

from Alarmanlage (translated in Chrome)

·
Registered
409 Posts
So it's the tilt / movement sensor that's being deactivated for now?

I'm confused too. I was taught through my classical education that excess tilt sensing turns off alarms instead of turning them on 🤷‍♂️:

·
Registered
491 Posts
If someone tries to steal you can via a tow truck the alarm goes of... Basically a movement sensor.

Most modern cars you can turn this off when being towed or on a flatbed.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Added: Car is almost impossible to charge if PIN security is enabled on the car's infotainment screen

Also the rumour (from some FAQ somewhere) is that the timed charging won't be available until mid-2021!? I've asked Polestar to see if this is really true...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Added: Car is almost impossible to charge if PIN security is enabled on the car's infotainment screen

Also the rumour (from some FAQ somewhere) is that the timed charging won't be available until mid-2021!? I've asked Polestar to see if this is really true...
Can't the charging unit do this as well? From their support guide. This functionality will be available in the Polestar App mid 2021. If you have a smart wallbox, this may allow for scheduled charging. The URL to this is at Pure progressive performance | Polestar which is linked directly from the support link on the polestar website. It is in the main menu.

I am having problems at the moment, as charging from a 13amp UK three pin socket, and don't like waiting up to 1 am in the morning to switch the charge on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes, if Steve fancies burning his house down! You'd be very lucky to find one with sensibly rated contacts and a safe enough construction.

Steve, are you getting a proper charger installed at some point? The logical thing to do here is to make sure whatever you get installed has enough smarts of it's own, and just accept some slightly more expensive charging until you get the charger installed.

If your 13A installation is semi-permanent and this is a pressing problem that needs resolving, then there are safe ways to do this for relatively little money. Basically a DIN enclosure with a timer (or smart relay) and a contactor.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Both the phone app and the car charging screen should allow for a time to start and charge limit, or alternatively set a departure time and the car calculates a start time to satisfy this.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Yes, if Steve fancies burning his house down! You'd be very lucky to find one with sensibly rated contacts and a safe enough construction.

This is 13A / 2.9kw rated.

This is higher than the 2.3kW the charger pulls.

21 - 40 of 120 Posts