Polestar Forum banner
381 - 395 of 395 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Navigation is a lost art. To think before GPS I drove throughout Europe just having studied the maps (anyone remember those?) beforehand, and using my noggin and sense of direction. Does anyone have a sense of direction anymore? A compass in the car would be useful too.
It definitely is!

Here's the thing, and I love Google Maps, and I prefer to use it to navigate when I don't know where I'm going, BUT...it does not always give the fastest routes. It gives the most commonly used fastest routes. You can test this out if you're driving someplace that you know like the back of your hand and you know streets and side roads that are typically quicker than main thoroughfares. For example, yesterday was my first time taking the Polestar into work from the suburbs down into the center of Boston. Google Maps gave me the expected main artery route options and the expected arrival time. However, I drove the route I know to typically be faster that avoids the main choke points. As it kept updating the route to match what I was doing, it kept dropping the expected arrival time, until I arrived 15 minutes ahead of the original expected time. Google simply does not know how to make use of side streets, unless it detects that a main artery is closed or is brick red with traffic. Then it offers a small workaround. However...it offers that workaround to EVERYONE currently navigating in that space, so you'll see that route backup too.

So there is value in both knowing and learning the area AND for Google to show traffic for all the roads displayed on the map.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
It definitely is!

Here's the thing, and I love Google Maps, and I prefer to use it to navigate when I don't know where I'm going, BUT...it does not always give the fastest routes. It gives the most commonly used fastest routes. You can test this out if you're driving someplace that you know like the back of your hand and you know streets and side roads that are typically quicker than main thoroughfares. For example, yesterday was my first time taking the Polestar into work from the suburbs down into the center of Boston. Google Maps gave me the expected main artery route options and the expected arrival time. However, I drove the route I know to typically be faster that avoids the main choke points. As it kept updating the route to match what I was doing, it kept dropping the expected arrival time, until I arrived 15 minutes ahead of the original expected time. Google simply does not know how to make use of side streets, unless it detects that a main artery is closed or is brick red with traffic. Then it offers a small workaround. However...it offers that workaround to EVERYONE currently navigating in that space, so you'll see that route backup too.

So there is value in both knowing and learning the area AND for Google to show traffic for all the roads displayed on the map.
Agreed. I do the same thing often. And of course as you suggest, now that a large percentage of people have navigation, once there's a choke point, google/garmin/etc. will send everyone on the same alternate routes, making them slower as well. I also thought I read somewhere that people were complaining that google was sending drivers down residential streets to avoid traffic, and that google changed their algorithm on account of that. But of course if you know the area, you can take those streets yourself. Otherwise navigation is for lemmings 😆

·
Registered
996 Posts
I put navigation audio on "alerts only" - that seems to work best for me. It also reduces spousal annoyance I find. ;)

And I often will take a route that I know is better than what Google suggests, but most times I find if I hit the alternate routes button, it is one of the alternates available and I can see the predicted time - very often "similar ETA" is the label.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wouldn't mind seeing retractable rear headrests (Iike the center one). The blind spot is already huge and the solid rear headrests make the field of view even narrower. If that's someow a safety issue, maybe ones with a hollow center would help. I know BLIS works, but I still look over my shoulder out of habit.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
I wouldn't mind seeing retractable rear headrests (Iike the center one). The blind spot is already huge and the solid rear headrests make the field of view even narrower. If that's someow a safety issue, maybe ones with a hollow center would help. I know BLIS works, but I still look over my shoulder out of habit.
My S80 had fold down head rests. And they folded forward so you had to use them if you were seated there. It was also great for walking unruly passengers 😆

·
Super Moderator
1,510 Posts
"A few months ago, we launched the Features Request poll. Since then, we've received lots of suggestions and requests. These have frequently been brought to our internal teams’ attention. We invited Mona, Beatrice and Christian to discuss a few of these requests and talk about what's in pipeline down the road."
Range Assistant, battery pre-conditioning when navigating to a fast charger, improved battery temperature management and DC charging and battery pre-heating on AC now optionally were promised for the next major OTA 👍

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
"A few months ago, we launched the Features Request poll. Since then, we've received lots of suggestions and requests. These have frequently been brought to our internal teams’ attention. We invited Mona, Beatrice and Christian to discuss a few of these requests and talk about what's in pipeline down the road."
Range Assistant, battery pre-conditioning when navigating to a fast charger, improved battery temperature management and DC charging and battery pre-heating on AC optionally promised for the next major OTA 👍
Excellent news. Particularly the preheating on AC will really help local range in cooler weather.

·
Super Moderator
1,510 Posts
preheating on AC will really help
(Forced, non-optional) pre-heating when charging to >80% is actually there already. They want to make it optional now.

My favourite is battery pre-conditioning when navigating to a fast charger .

Reactions: 2RatsElop

·
Registered
Ordered MY 2022 on Friday 13th of August! Long Range Dual-Motor, Snow/Nappa, Pilot, Plus, Tow hitch
197 Posts
Excellent news. Particularly the preheating on AC will really help local range in cooler weather.
It would be really good if navigating to a short destination disabled the battery heating altogether. I quite often have to take short trips in town (and no I don't take the car unless I absolutely have to) and any kind of battery heating is a complete waste of power when top speed will be 30k/h and distance will be under 5k. If the car would accept a cold battery when it knows it's only going to do a short, slow run, that would be great.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Range Assistant, battery pre-conditioning when navigating to a fast charger, improved battery temperature management and DC charging and battery pre-heating on AC now optionally were promised for the next major OTA 👍
They also announced the release of SiriusXM for us 'Muricans.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
It would be really good if navigating to a short destination disabled the battery heating altogether. I quite often have to take short trips in town (and no I don't take the car unless I absolutely have to) and any kind of battery heating is a complete waste of power when top speed will be 30k/h and distance will be under 5k. If the car would accept a cold battery when it knows it's only going to do a short, slow run, that would be great.
I think the issue is if you then punch it, it creates problems. They might be able to solve this by limiting power for the first few miles until the battery heats up. Otherwise it doesn't know where you are planning to go.

381 - 395 of 395 Posts