Polestar Forum banner

101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Type 2 is becoming the UK standard for the UK due to the CCS being the standard for DC charging. So I was happy to get a tethered connection as I can't see this changing for at least 5+ years so will cover my Polestar and the next one to follow.

·
Super Moderator
667 Posts
Even cooler would be induction charging with no cables! 😀
We will all look back in 10 years time and say "Remember when we had to manually plug the cable in at home, in supermarket car parks, train stations and so on? Wow, we thought that was so cool then!" :)

·
Super Moderator
667 Posts
I changed the Type 1 cable to Type 2 myself, it was very simple to do. Nothing's come with Type 1 for years now and with Type 2 being compatible with vehicle-to-grid charging too, I see it as being the standard until it's replaced with inductive charging to be honest.

Reactions: Terran

·
Registered
California | 2
54 Posts
Based on the Wi-Fi Connection thread, if the P*2 only has 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi, I’d certainly suggest that perhaps Polestar should add 5 GHz or even 6E support, since that’ll probably exist by the time they do it.

Tesla’s had 5 GHz in some of its cars since 2018. It’s certainly useful to be able to download the large OTA updates quickly.

·
Super Moderator
667 Posts
2.4GHz or 5GHz makes no difference to download speed in 99.99% of cases as it's limited to your home broadband speed, so 2.4GHz is absolutely fine. 5GHz is only useful for systems that alternate sending data back and forth very rapidly (the ping time, effectively) so it has minor improvements for looking at websites for instance. No benefit whatsoever for downloading big files.

Also 5GHz has very poor penetration through walls so it's unlikely to reach your car in any case, or if it does, at such a reduced signal strength that the data throughput would be lower than a 2.4GHz connection!

Reactions: krheinwald

·
Registered
236 Posts
2.4GHz or 5GHz makes no difference to download speed in 99.99% of cases as it's limited to your home broadband speed, so 2.4GHz is absolutely fine. 5GHz is only useful for systems that alternate sending data back and forth very rapidly (the ping time, effectively) so it has minor improvements for looking at websites for instance. No benefit whatsoever for downloading big files.

Also 5GHz has very poor penetration through walls so it's unlikely to reach your car in any case, or if it does, at such a reduced signal strength that the data throughput would be lower than a 2.4GHz connection!
You are sort of right but also mostly wrong. Assuming the incoming connection is fast enough then the difference between 2.4 and 5Ghz is very noticeable, especially when downloading large files. Yes, I know that Internet in the UK is largely well below the speed capabilities of 2.4Ghz and in this case, you are right that it will make no difference. In my case, I have a 1000/1000Mbs connection so the WiFi frequency makes a big difference. For me, a file will download at about double the speed over 5Ghz than over 2.4Ghz.

It is absolutely true that 5Ghz is poor for penetrating walls, if you want good 5Ghz around a whole house then the only option is a good mesh WiFi system.

All of this is moot for most owners anyway as the 4G modem will be used for OTA updates while you sleep, then the speed doesn't really matter.

Apparently some markets will NOT have OTA over 4G and will need to use WiFi. I don't know which markets.

·
Super Moderator
667 Posts
So actually I was completely right unless you happen to have broadband that's greater than about 250Mbps? Seems a little harsh saying I was mostly wrong when everything I said was correct - in fact I'd say it's far higher than 99.99% of people have broadband that runs faster than a 2.4GHz network can carry.

So you're sort of right but actually completely wrong about what I wrote... 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
236 Posts
So actually I was completely right unless you happen to have broadband that's greater than about 250Mbps? Seems a little harsh saying I was mostly wrong when everything I said was correct - in fact I'd say it's far higher than 99.99% of people have broadband that runs faster than a 2.4GHz network can carry.

So you're sort of right but actually completely wrong about what I wrote... 🤦‍♂️
Indeed, I take it partly back.... Lets see. You were mostly right but partly wrong. 😉

You did state that 5Ghz gives no benefit whatsoever. I think 99.99% not getting any benefit would be a bit invorrect. Perhaps in the UK.. But in other countries it is quite common to have incoming Internet speeds that exceed 2.4ghz WiFi capabilities.

Well, I did too until that post!
Can't keep everyone happy. 😊

Reactions: polerad

·
Super Moderator
667 Posts
Hmm! I still really doubt that even 0.01% percent of the population of, say, Europe get a home broadband rate of much more than 54Mbps... So you were mostly wrong but partly right about what I wrote :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hmm! I still really doubt that even 0.01% percent of the population of, say, Europe get a home broadband rate of much more than 54Mbps... So you were mostly wrong but partly right about what I wrote :)
Oh but you're completely wrong about that. The mean internet speed in western Europe is 81Mbps. Source. So your estimate that less than 0.01% have more than 54Mbps is totally off. Actually way more than 50% have faster than 54Mbps given that 50% have faster than 81Mbps. Given this is a mean... And we know how many have very slow broadband, then there has to be a number of percent with over 250Mbps 🤔

·
Super Moderator
667 Posts
Oops, this is a little off-topic ;) I grant you that it does seem like average internet speeds have gone up enormously since I last looked which is probably a few years back now. There was a time when the UK led the rest of the world... (maybe about 250 years ago ;)) but in internet speeds we seem to be behind even places like Panama and Chile. Go Brits! :rolleyes: So I'll concede that my 99.99% is way off. You win that bit :). However if you lower the 99.99% then the rest of my post was technically correct, if far less useful than it was!

But you have to admit that 2.4GHz is the more important band for a Polestar to support as it has greater reach through walls and onto the drive, and as any downloads would be overnight, range and stability is more important than outright speed. I think I'm allowed to say that? :)

Now. Does anyone have any other requested features that don't spark lots of unnecessary debate?

Reactions: Snood

·
Registered
236 Posts
Oops, this is a little off-topic ;) I grant you that it does seem like average internet speeds have gone up enormously since I last looked which is probably a few years back now. There was a time when the UK led the rest of the world... (maybe about 250 years ago ;)) but in internet speeds we seem to be behind even places like Panama and Chile. Go Brits! :rolleyes: So I'll concede that my 99.99% is way off. You win that bit :). However if you lower the 99.99% then the reset of my post was technically correct, if far less useful than it was!

But you have to admit that 2.4GHz is the more important band for a Polestar to support as it has greater reach through walls and onto the drive, and as any downloads would be overnight, range and stability is more important than outright speed. I think I'm allowed to say that? :)

Now. Does anyone have any other requested features that don't spark lots of unnecessary debate?
Oh yes, you're quite right. 2.4Ghz is by far the most appropriate for polestar to support for the other reasons you have listed.

Anyway, I have one... Integrated window blinds for the rear seats. My V90 has them and I know I'm going to miss them with the Polestar. Very useful for keeping direct sun off kiddo's precious skin.

Reactions: rgledhill

·
Registered
California | 2
54 Posts
My Model 3 connects to my 5 GHz Wi-Fi from my carport outside just fine, and it certainly helps when downloading these multi-gigabyte updates Tesla pushes out every few weeks. Choosing a 2.4 GHz-only off-the-shelf Wi-Fi chip for an all-new vehicle in the year 2020 just seems a strange choice when combo chips are readily available. Dunno why that’s a controversial statement. Polestar was forward-thinking enough to go with Qi charging and USB-C receptacles. In theory Polestar will be regularly pushing out OTA updates some day. So I figured I’d request adding 5 GHz to this list.

Cell signal is absolutely atrocious at my home. I have 500 Mbps internet, and multiple Wi-Fi access points.

(And for what it’s worth, the speed ratings for both Wi-Fi bands are for best-case scenarios. Especially when you’re further away from the Wi-Fi AP, you’re very unlikely to be anywhere near ~100 Mbps on 2.4 GHz, but could still surpass that on 5 GHz.)

Reactions: Snood

·
Registered
203 Posts
Oh but you're completely wrong about that. The mean internet speed in western Europe is 81Mbps. Source. So your estimate that less than 0.01% have more than 54Mbps is totally off. Actually way more than 50% have faster than 54Mbps given that 50% have faster than 81Mbps. Given this is a mean... And we know how many have very slow broadband, then there has to be a number of percent with over 250Mbps 🤔
Maybe, but more and more are getting the 1000Mbps, as I do in rural England. I do also use proper cat 5/6 cables at home for the PC and NAS drives for speed. Yes you have also omitted file sharing in your local network.

101 - 120 of 133 Posts