Polestar Forum banner

List of Requested Future Features

166K views 1K replies 257 participants last post by  Petrus 246 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The TLDR version:-

• Every App in Existence on both iOS and Android.
  • Every feature that every other infotainment has in any car.
  • Every feature any other EV has.
  • Free performance software updates.

-------------------

I'm going to break this down into three sections. Google Apps - I know Polestar has no direct control over this, but the list might be seen or forwarded to the right people. Polestar 2 OTA Updates - Anything that could be added by a software update, and Future Models Requests - Physical things that can't be changed on this model but maybe make it into the next one.

In addition please do not list anything already on the Roadmap here: Pure progressive performance | Polestar

Blue = Implemented
Yellow = Can be accessed via Web Browser App

Google Apps we would like to see added.
  • Waze
  • Google News or news apps.
  • A Better Route Planner
  • Zap-Map
  • TomTom
  • Netflix's
  • YouTube
  • Disney+
  • Amazon Prime
  • Amazon Music (But it's not very good)
  • Apple Music
  • Audible
  • Qobuz
  • Coyote
  • Google Map Updates
    • Add a Satellite Viewing Option.
    • Make storing addresses easier.
    • Add an option for multiple recharge stops en route.
    • Map Filter for Charging Stations with a Save mode - kWs, Exclusive, Non & Preferred Networks, permanently show them the option, etc.
    • Always display current traffic levels, even when no planned route is showing.

Polestar OTA Updates
  • Show charging on AC/DC as kW! - Let us have the option of MPH or kWh info for charging.
  • A screen that shows charging curves, current charge rate, etc.. plus the reason for the charge being slow ... i.e. Low Temperature / Battery nearly complete, etc.
  • A "Dog Mode" - A way to keep the AC while the car is locked, with the Display showing it's in "Dog Mode."
  • A "Campsite Mode" - A way to keep the HVAC going while the driver seat is unoccupied.
  • Battery preconditioning - A feature you can turn on before leaving on a Journey or before stopping at a Rapid 150kW Charger to maximize charge speeds (implemented but under certain conditions)
  • Audio balance controls (left / right/front/back).
  • Full Audio controls (equalizer, fade, balance, speed-sensitive volume on/off, location, etc.)
  • Independent control of the screen/dash display brightness and the accent lighting (currently seems yoked; unclear if it can be unyoked).
  • Add an option to prioritize FM or DAB when using voice to request a station.
  • Add the option to retune all radio stations.
  • OTA onboard manual updates.
  • OTA release notes for updates as applied.
  • Error messages logged onboard and recallable as an option on the car status screen. i.e. A way to send Polestar our error message log(s).
  • Redesign the driver performance screen to show more relevant information. i.e. Actual Usage in kW.
  • Add the option to show current usage as miles per kWh or kWh/100 on the driver display screen.
  • Sport Mode - Where the accelerator peddles is more responsive (especially early) and keeps ESC turned OFF / Change Drivers Screen to more sporty mode.
  • Eco Mode - Where AC is limited (like the i-Pace), all power to USB's turned off, max acceleration & speed limited, etc... to maximise range.
  • Have the option to use the steering wheel up/down buttons to adjust the Regenerative Braking setting.
  • An Auditable Alarm you left your phone in the wireless charger.
  • Android Auto
  • Adding a phone list option to scroll through missed and placed calls.
  • Operating, scrolling and entering the central console via the buttons on the steering wheel.
  • An option to deactivate the Charging Cable Release button next to the socket.
  • Your Spec Polestar (colour, wheels, P-Pack) is reflected in the infotainment screen (or at least an option to customize the car/spec on display).
  • The ability to adjust the brightness on the main screen and driver's display separately.
  • To be able to change the "Parked PreHeating/Cooling" temperature!
  • Improvements to the Pilot Assist, especially the Lane Guidance - better positioning in the middle of the lane, and less aggressive with smoother transitions where possible.
  • Option On/Off for the car to automatically stop on a Red Parking Sensor - maybe an override on the driver's screen.
  • TPMS: show the air pressure status for each tire on the infotainment system.
  • Make volume modulation with speed less abrupt - right now; it's a step-wise change in volume past certain speeds. If that could be made more gradual or turned off, that would be less jarring.
  • Noise Cancelling Feature to dull the tyre noise in the cabin.
  • Shortcut system on the infotainment. It's five touches just to get to the equalizer, for example. Or at least a shortcut to the balance - maybe touch the volume bar if it's on-screen or something.
  • Volume up on the steering wheel should do the same as hitting play if the system isn't already playing.
  • Pushing left should enable LIM, and going right should help ACC/CC. It's bonkers that they've split these two functions out into two separate buttons, but you still need to fiddle around with the touchscreen to change. Also, the minimum speed can be set to any rate.
  • Automatic Audio Restart option (on/off) in the settings. So when you get in the car, the music starts without any input required.
  • 12V Battery Health Indicator.
  • Predicted range app to show range before the vehicle goes into substantial power limit/turtle mode.

App Features (once released)
  • Find my Polestar (a la Apple's Find My... functions)

Future Polestar's (either standard or as an option)
  • Heat Pump.
  • Built-in Dash Cams with a Sentry Mode.
  • Redesign centre console:
    • No piano black - anywhere!
    • Cover the sides flares in squishier/softer plastic/fabric, so it's nicer to rest your knee and arm there and to give a softer edge on the medial side of the flare where plastic transitions to wood accent.
    • Fit in a proper 2nd cup holder (maybe move the DNR to a stalk on the steering wheel?)
  • Redesign side door bins to be more significant a la the XC40
  • Enable battery upgrading when more energy-dense (Wh/kg and Wh/L) batteries come out.
  • Enable data transfer via USB ports so audiophiles can stream or pre-load music via a wired connection faster/better than Bluetooth allows and so we can side-load apps and file storage.
  • A Flatter Drivers Floor
  • Kid-friendly option pack with Screens in the back of the front seats, having full access to Google play games & video from youtube/Netflix even while driving, for rear seat passengers only.
  • Radio: A better FM radio, the current model is inferior quality.
  • Accelerometer added to the car for 0-60 times / plus track timer option screen - for people who want to put their cars on the track!
  • 40/60 folding seats controllable from the trunk
  • Digital Display Rear View Mirror
  • Clearer markings on the steering wheel buttons
  • Higher Resolution Cameras
  • Mud flaps
  • The camera's become dirty quickly - better placement or protection is required.
  • Dual wireless charger for both driver and passenger
  • Heads Up Display
  • A rear wiper
  • A button to open the front boot (i.e. a powered front boot)
  • Integrated SunBlinds for Rear Windows.
  • A more advanced 360 camera, where you can spin the view in 360deg.
  • Self-parking
  • 240v Domestic Socket in the boot.
  • The Bespoke Steering wheel design doesn't look like a rebranded Volvo one.
  • Brighter Ambient Lighting is also a colour option configurable via the main screen.
  • A Real Vegan Leather Option, so you can have Ventilated Seats without needing real leather seats.
  • Boot Cargo Cover - A Fabric Retractable Option.
  • Rear seat back pockets: replace the rather cheap-looking nets with real pockets, or even better, have something cool like removable slim satchels or laptop-like bags.
  • Metal Pedals Option.
  • Frunk: an interior light would be nice.
  • HVAC: offer an air ionizer to improve air quality and neutralize odours inside and from outside.
  • Sunroof: offer a power retractable sun shade.
  • Accessories: offer cool lifestyle accessories such as an air compressor, powered cooler, fitted bags or luggage, held a rechargeable flashlight, snow brush/ice scrapper, an umbrella in the trunk or frunk, a tasteful box or roof spoiler.
  • More excellent Interior Trim options.
    • Wood Inserts without buying the Leather Seats.
    • Different Materials/patterns.

Future Polestar Models / Variants
  • Wagon/Estate version!!! Bonus points if allowed jump seats like in my parents' old Volvo wagon!
  • Convertible

See less See more
#146 ·
Maybe it is a bit swearing in a church ( a dutch expression that doesnt translate) but a question i have is why there is no option to switch off one engine and do with 'only' front or back 208 hp. in my mind this would seriouly increase the range? As a new user i really enjoy the power, but i guess that will fade and in time i will enjoy a widere range over short range speed?

#150 · (Edited)
I doubt we would see a significant change.

For a certain constant speed, the car needs a certain constant amount of power to overcome tire and air resistence. Using only one motor instead of two would require the same power, but only from one motor. Assuming the electrical losses stay the same with double load, all that would be saved were the mechanical losses in the reduction gear and drive shaft, which is probably way less than 1%.

Teslas gain a big benefit by turning of a motor, because they switch off an inefficient Async-Motor and provide all the power from a very efficient SynRM-Motor. 10% better efficiency for the SynRM-Motor directly translates to 10% more range.

#151 ·
I'm not sure we would really see a significant change. For a certain constant speed, the car needs a constant certain amount of power to overcome roll and air resistence. Using only one motor instead of two would require twice the power from the remaining motor. Assuming the electrical losses stay the same, all that is saved are the mehanical losses in the reduction gear and drive shaft, which is probably way less than 1%.
One of the explanations given for why the Niro/Kona and TM3 have such great efficiency relative to their Cd*frontal_area is that they only have one motor driven most of the time - either because they only have one motor (Kona/Niro) or they can turn one motor off (TM3).

I could believe the TM3 differences are really do to aero/weight diffs relative to the P*2 as @ProfessorCook explained - but it seems there is still some level of efficiency it has even beyond aero/weight.
And the Kona/Niro definitely have better efficiency than their aero/weight suggests.

So is the single vs dual motor explanation doesn't hold, then what dark magic does the Kona/Niro do to get their efficiency?

And what in the world did Polestar do to achieve that WLTP rating? Was it downhill the whole way in 25C dry weather with AC off?

#152 ·
I'm pretty sure about the TM3 and the SymRM-Motor.

I think we agree that for a significant gain by single engine operation, we need the consumption of the single engine to be significantly lower than both engines.
The PS has two identical Async-Motors and I doubt there is a significant gain in efficiency by running a single motor with twice the power over running two at half power.

#158 ·
Sure taken. Whatever efficiencies to be had in driving 1 vs 2 identical motors are likely marginal, a few % or 5-10 mi

This still leaves unspecified what dark magic the Koreans are managing to do. The good Professor's aero argument doesn't hold here since Cd*frontal_area is marginally more for the Kona than the P*2. Yet its efficiency is >10% greater. Is it all just the ~400 kg weight diff?

Reactions: rgledhill
#153 ·
I think there are quite significant gains by physically decoupling the second motor. If you don't put any current at all into the motor, it will act as a generator, so you need to put enough energy into it to break even - i.e. make it neither contribute nor suck torque to/from the drivetrain. Considering you are rotating a very heavy piece of metal at several thousand rpm, and have all the associated power losses from battery through inverter to motor, I would think this could easily make 5-10% difference, particularly when cruising.

Just wait until the 2021 Hyundais come out with 800V battery/motor technology and a different motor windings system (hairpin windings). They're going to move the goalposts again...

#166 ·
But that's not true, I'm afraid, since you have to rotate two motors compared to one. Efficiency is probably about the same, yes, but you're not taking into account the extra rotating mass, extra power going into running an extra inverter and so on. It will always be more efficient to run one motor a bit harder than two entire sets of drivetrain components at a lesser level.

#168 ·
Yes, I think the dual motor Tesla M3 runs a different type of motor (induction I think) on the front since it's better at free-wheeling (something about cogging torque???) even though less efficient in use, hence the Tesla M3 runs on rear wheel drive most of the time. The trade-off I think is that regen braking is then focussed more on the back wheels, rather than being distributed nearly evenly across all four like normal braking. And then can't do blended braking - transitioning between regen and friction braking on the brake pedal. Hence in an M3 I think turning off OPD means turning off regen, unlike in P*2 (I drive without OPD but still get pretty good efficiency).

I think maybe 5 - 10% efficiency gain available by running on one motor. We'll find out when Polestar release a single motor P*2.

#171 ·
InsideEVs has a writeup of Hyundai's plans for an AWD EV setup in which the front motor is physically disconnected unless needed. They estimate this would yield a ~2-3% efficiency gain, in line with what we've guesstimated.

As others have concluded, seems there's little Polestar can do at the moment to improve range/efficiency. Maybe some software tweaks can improve inverter programming over time. And scheduled battery preconditioning while connected to a charger will certainly help for the winter - along with smart preconditioning during certain use cases. But the current efficiency is kind of baked in it seems.
I do expect/hope that the charging curve will get better though!

Still have no idea how WLTP was achieved at all

#177 ·
In addition to a Driver Performance app that actually works, having it break down consumption by type: HVAC, battery conditioning, right foot related, etc
The MachE has something promised along these lines and it looks pretty useful for us data junkies!

#178 ·
The Kona had this, giving a percentage of energy used for each of the various different drains, i.e. driving, HVAC, general cabin electronics, and even battery care (i.e. a bit of load balancing)!

#179 ·
Pulling in @rgledhill suggestion for a “city” or “low distance” mode that can be specified so the car doesn’t spend so many kWh to needlessly warm the battery to max, which you don’t realize the benefit of for anything <30mi or so.

I know they don’t want modes but I would love these modes:
Eco - max range with everything thirsty turned off or minimized (already in feature list)
City/short trip - current config except doesn’t warm the battery so aggressively, wasting kWh
Normal/long trip - the current default config
Sport - ESC off/minimized; more sensitive and linear throttle response, esp at low speeds (kind of already in the feature requests); basically max performance kWh be damned

and for each mode to be accessible by “hey Google”

#181 ·
1. Ability to completely deactivate collision avoidance.
2. Redesign of charging port light so it lights the actual port and doesn’t blind you, reducing you vision!
3. GSuite accounts.

#191 ·
Now people have had some time with their new cars, I thought it might be good to add a list of future updates we as Polestar Owners would like to see. As always I'll try and keep this updated.

I'm going to break this down into three sections. Google Apps - I know Polestar has no direct control on this, but the list might be seen or forwarded to the right people. Polestar 2 OTA Updates - Anything that could be added by a software update, and Future Models Requests - Physical things that can't be changed on this model, but maybe make it into the next one.

In addition please do not list anything already on the Roadmap here: Pure progressive performance | Polestar

Google Apps we would like to see added.
  • Waze
  • Google News or a news apps.
  • A Better Route Planner
  • Zap-Map
  • TomTom
  • Netflix's
  • YouTube
  • Disney+
  • Amazon Prime
  • Amazon Music
  • Audible
  • Qobuz
  • Coyotte
  • Google Map Updates
    • Add a Satellite Viewing Option.
    • Make storing addresses easier.
    • Add option for multiple recharge stops en-route.
    • Map Filter for Charging Stations with a Save mode - kWs, Exclusive, Non & Preferred Networks, permanently show them option, etc..
    • Always display current traffic levels, even when no planned route is showing.

Polestar OTA Updates
  • Show charging on AC/DC as kW! - Let us have the option of MPH or kWh info for charging.
  • A screen that shows charging curves, current charge rate, etc.. plus reason for the charge being slow ... i.e. Low Temperature / Battery nearly full, etc..
  • A "Dog Mode" - A way to keep the AC going while the car is locked, with the Display showing it's in "Dog Mode".
  • A "Campsite Mode" - A way to keep the HVAC going while the driver seat is unoccupied.
  • Battery preconditioning - A feature you can turn on before leaving on a Journey, or before stopping at a Rapid 150kW Charger to maximise charge speeds.
  • Audio balance controls (left / right / front / back).
  • Full Audio controls (equalizer, fade, balance, speed sensitive volume on/off, location, etc.)
  • Independent control of the screen/dash display brightness and the accent lighting (currently seems yoked; unclear if can be unyoked).
  • Add option to prioritise FM or DAB when using voice to request station.
  • Add option to retune all radio stations.
  • OTA onboard manual updates.
  • OTA release notes for updates as applied.
  • Error messages logged onboard and recallable as option on car status screen. i.e. A way to send Polestar our error message log(s).
  • Redesign the driver performance screen to show more relevant information. i.e. Actual Usage in kW.
  • Add option to show current usage as miles per kWh or kWh/100 in driver display screen
  • Sport Mode - Where the accelerator peddle is more responsive (especially early) and keeps ESC turned OFF / Change Drivers Screen to more sporty mode.
  • Eco Mode - Where AC is limited (like the i-Pace), all power to USB's are turned off, max acceleration & speed limited, etc... to maximise range.
  • Have an option to use the steering wheel up/down buttons to adjust Regenerative Braking setting.
  • An Auditable Alarm you left your phone in the wireless charger.
  • Android Auto
  • Adding a phone list option to scroll through with missed and placed calls.
  • Operating, scrolling and entering the main console via the buttons on the steering wheel.
  • An option to deactivate the Charging Cable Release button next to the socket.
  • Your Spec Polestar (colour, wheels, P-Pack) is reflected in the infotainment screen (or at least an option to custom the car car/spec on display).
  • The ability to separately adjust the brightness on the main screen and drivers display.
  • To be able to change the "Parked PreHeating/Cooling" temperature!
  • Improvements to the Pilot Assist, especially the Lane Guidance - better positioning in the middle of the lane, and less aggressive with smoother transitions where it's possible.
  • Option On/Off for the car to automatically stop on a Red Parking Sensor - maybe an override on the drivers screen.
  • TPMS: show air pressure status for each tire on the infotainment system.
  • Make volume modulation with speed less abrupt - right now it's a step-wise change in volume past certain speeds. If that could be made more gradual, or turned off, that would be less jarring
  • Noise Cancelling Feature to dull the tyre noise in the cabin.
  • Shortcut system on the infotainment. It's five touches just to get to the equaliser for example. Or at least a shortcut to the equaliser - maybe touch the volume bar if it's on screen or something.
  • Volume up on the steering wheel should do the same as hitting play if the system isn't already playing.
  • Pushing left should enable LIM, pushing right should enable ACC/CC. It's bonkers that they've split these two functions out onto two separate buttons but you still need to fiddle around with the touchscreen to change. Also, minimum speed can be set to any speed.
  • Automatic Audio Restart option (on/off) in the settings. So when you get in the car the music starts without an input required.

App Features (once released)
  • Find my Polestar (a la Apple's Find My... functions)

Future Polestar's (either standard or as an option)
  • Heat Pump.
  • Built in Dash Cam's with a Sentry Mode.
  • Redesign centre console:
    • No piano black - anywhere!
    • Cover the sides flares in squishier/softer plastic/fabric so it's nicer to rest your knee and arm there and to give softer edge on the medial side of the flare where plastic transitions to wood accent
    • Fit in a proper 2nd cup holder (maybe move the DNR to a stalk on the steering wheel?)
  • Redesign side door bins to be bigger a la the XC40
  • Enable battery upgrading when more energy dense (Wh/kg and Wh/L) batteries come out.
  • Enable data transfer via USB ports so audiophiles can stream or pre-load music via a wired connection faster/better than Bluetooth allows, and so we can side-load apps and for file storage
  • A Flatter Drivers Floor
  • Kid friendly option pack with Screens in the back of the front seats, having full access to Google play games & video from youtube/netflix even while driving, for rear seat passengers only.
  • Radio: A better FM radio, current model is very poor quality.
  • Accelerometer added to the car for 0-60 times / plus track timer option screen - for people who want to put their cars on the track!
  • 40/60 folding seats controllable from the trunk
  • Digital Display Rear View Mirror
  • Clearer markings on the steering wheel buttons
  • Higher Resolution Cameras
  • Mud flaps
  • Camera's become dirty very easily - better placement or protection required.
  • Dual wireless charger for both driver and passenger
  • Heads Up Display
  • A rear wiper
  • A button to open the front boot (ie. a powered front boot)
  • Integrated SunBlinds for Rear Windows.
  • A more advanced 360 camera, where you can spin the view in 360deg.
  • Self parking
  • 240v Domestic Socket in the boot.
  • Bespoke Steering wheel design, so doesn't look like a rebranded Volvo one.
  • Brighter Ambient Lighting - also colour option and all configurable via the main screen.
  • A Real Vegan Leather Option, so you can have Ventilated Seats without needing real leather seats.
  • Boot Cargo Cover - A Fabric Retractable Option.
  • Rear seat back pockets: replace the rather cheap looking nets with real pockets, or even better, have something cool like removable slim satchels or laptop-like bags.
  • Metal Pedals Option.
  • Frunk: an interior light would be nice.
  • HVAC: offer an air ionizer to improve air quality and neutralize odours inside and from outside.
  • Sunroof: offer a power retractable sun shade.
  • Accessories: offer cool lifestyle accessories such as an air compressor, powered cooler, fitted bags or luggage; fitted rechargable flashlight, snow brush/ice scrapper, and umbrella in the trunk or frunk; a tasteful trunk or roof spoiler.
  • Greater Interior Trim options.
    • Wood Inserts without buying the Leather Seats.
    • Different Material / patterns.

Future Polestar Models / Variants
  • Wagon/Estate version!!! Bonus points if allows jump seats like in my parents' old Volvo wagon!
  • Convertible
Seats lower and move back on exit/entrance. Makes it easier to get in/out for tall people.

#193 ·
Not sure if others have mentioned these---I did a quick search and didn't see anything. I also don't know if others will agree with these, so feel free to discuss and/or reject.

(1) Ability to put the time of day on the instrument panel display (probably up next to the temperature). I don't like having to look at the center display to see what time it is.

(2) Add ETA to the navigation screen on the instrument panel. Currently ETA only shows up on the center display. I like putting the navigation on the instrument panel display (at least for in-town driving) and using the center display for music or whatever. But then I lose the ETA info.

(3) Add the ability to turn off the center display for night driving when you don't need it and you want better visibility. Right now you can hack this via the "screen cleaning" function (holding the home button) but that's pretty inelegant since you then get the screen cleaning message on the display.

#194 ·
re #3, I use the dial by the trunk open/close button to turn down the interior lighting, including display, for night backwoods driving

And would love if #1/2 were implemented too - along with including estd % battery left at the end of the route!

#196 ·
I must be weird - the center display has never bothered me. I did try dimming with the thumbwheel, but I ended up brightening it back up to near max. I guess it's a person to person thing. However I agree the more configuration options the better...with intelligent defaults of course.

#197 ·
After 2000 miles of the P*2 here are my suggestions, overall really loving the vehicle. Apologies if they’ve already been covered in some way, that’s my current list.
1. Enable OTA bug/error reporting so that Polestar have a real view of what’s happening along with data for vehicle software issues and glitches. It’s mentioned in the Polestar privacy menu in settings and would change their awareness of what’s going on and how to fix things.
2. Improve the phone function to be able to save and dial conference call codes after the main number is dialled (including from imported phone book entries)
3. Video apps such as YouTube, Netflix etc to allow some entertainment when sitting on a rapid charger. Internet browser function for same reason.
4. Enable left steering wheel button to allow intuitive switching between cruise control/ autopilot modes.
5. Display charge at destination amount in
the Google maps top level display so it can be seen in the main 4 tile menu without opening Google maps.
6. Introduce driver performance displays that shows energy usage over time as well as showing required energy to get to destination on current route.
7. Improved charging displays that show charge rate in KWh and ideally a time history of the charge.
8. Audio off on door opening rather than when driver leaves seat. Re enable audio in reverse manner when getting back in to car.
9. Option to disable speed compensation function in audio.
10. A recognised Polestar Portal/website where we can feed these future ideas in and get Polestar’s feedback.
11. The ability to talk to a Polestar technical expert through customer service rather than just a customer service rep.

#199 ·
Would definitely be interesting to find out if a Google bug report is fed to Polestar, I’m guessing the only way to find out is to try. CS were saying a few days ago that the only way for them to get info on problems is to download at the dealer which (if it’s true) is missing the point. I’ll ask them again vs the Google bug report to see what they say.