Polestar Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
non PP - Snow - Ordered Sep 20 - Delivery 01 Dec 20
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for peoples thoughts and personal experience living with a P2 (or indeed any EV) without having the ability to charge at home.

The P2 is my first EV which I've had since Jan 21. Due to covid we haven't done any trips longer than the range so we have done all our charging on the driveway. However, we are looking to buy a new house which isn't ready yet so may have to move into rented for 6 or so months. EV charging is just not a thing that rented offer.
Living off the public grid day to day just seems a massive inconvenience and waste of time.
I recognise the cost is also a thing but for me, it's the thought of spending a weekday night driving to a nearby instavolt and sitting in a car park doing nothing.
Charging at work would be ideal but to say me and the landlord at work don't get on is an understatement. There is slim to no chance they will allow me to install a charging point, especially because utilities are included in the rent.

Appreciate any thoughts.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I actually had a good conversation about this with friends on Saturday night after they had circled my P* and taken a good look. One couple don't live in a house where there is off street parking and were making this exact point - how does the EV revolution take off considering the vast number of houses in the UK without off street parking?

Sorry, this hasn't really helped your cause, but I thought it was a good topic to discuss.

Regarding your situation - are there no public chargers nearish to work that you could park the car at? Also would it have to be every day?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Regarding your situation - are there no public chargers nearish to work that you could park the car at? Also would it have to be every day?
I agree it's a huge barrier to those without off-street parking. It only really hits home when you end up in that situation yourself.
No, it doesn't have to be every day but will need to be at least a couple a week depending.
I work in a city centre and the days of free parking when charging are well gone so talking on average £8 a day to park and charge, which considering I have a free space at work grates but as you say it won't have to be every day so your right it's looking like my better option.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I agree it's a huge barrier to those without off-street parking. It only really hits home when you end up in that situation yourself.
No, it doesn't have to be every day but will need to be at least a couple a week depending.
I work in a city centre and the days of free parking when charging are well gone so talking on average £8 a day to park and charge, which considering I have a free space at work grates but as you say it won't have to be every day so your right it's looking like my better option.
And I accept don't know your scenario or town/city set-up, but can you not do short charge (maybe a couple of hours) and then move the car maybe at lunchtime? Would be cheaper, no?

·
Registered
Snow non-PP w/tow hook
149 Posts
Here it's not a problem, the chargers down the road are rarely full, and just 5 min walk from where I live, at work, if I checked in there, we have charging spots as well

·
Registered
15 Posts
I live in a flat in central Glasgow so no home charging - and haven't had a major inconvenience with charging yet (3 months ownership).
Both my wife and I will take the P* to work where we can charge, which I realise is different to your situation. Topping up to 90% at work means we typically have 70-80% parked outside. I do a fair bit of running and there are chargers near some good trails a short drive away so I'll often get a 1-2hr AC charge at the weekend during a long run. I think I've only actually sat in the car at a rapid on one occasion after a longer work journey - so I would have the extra charge available for the next day's trip.

Are there other offices or workplace car parks in the vicinity of your office? I ask as the director of a neighbouring business in our industrial estate has been using our spare charging port for his EQC while he got sorted with home charging - a bit of digging around and you might find someone with a work charger available which is underused during Covid wfh.

Before getting the P*, range was a big factor and the planning of where and when I might charge was a big consideration. In practice I don't think I've been below 40% more than once. I don't know your own circumstances but suspect you won't find it as big an issue as it feels when used to setting off with a full charge.
The cost factor is somewhat negated as most charging in Scotland is still free - although this is changing at pace now the councils have realised people might actually use the infrastructure...

·
Registered
61 Posts
The first thing I would do is have a look on ZapMap and Just Park and see if there are any residential chargers on there which you can use. You might be able to find a local charger within walking distance where you can leave the car overnight etc. Another option might be to just walk around and see if there is a charger on someone's house and knock on the door. Most EV owners are a friendly bunch because we all know the limitations, and you might be able to come up with some kind of arrangement.

·
Registered
Void, Slate, Non-PP on 19's
125 Posts
I am in a similar ish situation. I work away from home and have a rental flat for the week. I asked the management company through my estate agent about having a 13A socket put next to my parking spot in the garage that could be charged to me (there is shared power in the garage, but I don't think it fair to charge all the other flat owners for my fuel). They stated that they are aware this issue is coming and they'll have to address it at some point, but basically said no! I don't drive much in the working week, so 13A charging over about 40 hrs wouldn't present that much of a problem. I now am thinking about stringing a capable out of my window at night and trickling in what I can, moving the car during the day.

However, when I planned through getting the car, I also thought through my options, which includes a reasonably priced Lidl 50kw charger just 3 miles away. For my drives home for the weekend I plan to top up there whilst eating a sandwich on a Friday night before setting off, with possibly a top up on the way. I had factored all that into my costings, so happy it is an option.

I think the recommendations from @awatson500 and @smithers197 of figuring out if you can charge and do something else at the same time (eat lunch, go for a run, whatever) are good ones, if you can make that work. It might also be worth contacting the local council about them installing street chargers, if you don't ask you won't get! I know that in Richmond and Brighton they have 7kW chargers in street lights/lamp posts. You might just catch them already planning to give it a go.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your pointers.
I suppose the big take away for me is when home charging isn't an option EVs don't become unfeasible but do require some thought and some planning. Home charging is so easy, easier than filling the ICE car at a petrol station but public charging does then put the EV below ICE in terms of inconvenience.
None of this by the way would ever make me go back to ICE and things are only set to get better and easier with time.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Thanks everyone for your pointers.
I suppose the big take away for me is when home charging isn't an option EVs don't become unfeasible but do require some thought and some planning. Home charging is so easy, easier than filling the ICE car at a petrol station but public charging does then put the EV below ICE in terms of inconvenience.
None of this by the way would ever make me go back to ICE and things are only set to get better and easier with time.
Thanks again.
I think like with longer journeys it is a change in mindset, that is the key for me after three or some months of ownership.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
873 Posts
I do about 1000 miles a month, and I have a home charger and used it nightly for the first couple of months. I then realised that the best use of the £450 credit I got from Polestar for an early order is to charge at the 50kW charger at the pub near my house during the free 12-month membership for 15p/kWh, before the price shots up at 30p/kWh.

It's extremely unlikely I'll need to charge on the road more than a couple of times a month, and I wouldn't want to have to track a BP specifically, so for the past few months I treated my car like an ICE, I charge it up for an hour every 5-6 days, to take it from 20-30% to 80-90% and use the credit.

So far it worked fine for me, no complaints. It is of course about 50 mins more than it takes to fill up my petrol car, but I usually go for a quick shop or walk in the village centre while at it.

Based on that experience, I think I'd be fine using this approach long term if I could not have a charger, but YMMV.

To be honest, waking up to a fully (or 90%) charged car every morning ahead of the commute is an improvement from my petrol days where I'd usually have to go out of my way and waste time to refuel once or twice a week. Not having to do this frees time up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't have my P2 yet and have never driven a BEV, so I clearly have no experience.
But having said that, I just can't imagine driving a BEV without home charging, or at least a public charger very close to home or work.
Could deal with it if there was a charger at work, but would really limit weekend travels.
One thing that seems constant on all the reviews, is the multitude of possible issues with public charging, and honestly the time wasted on waiting there.
I would never consider an electric vehicle without the security of a home charger, as for me it would add so much anxiety to BEV ownership, it would never work.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,868 Posts
I drive 16k miles/year.
I have a home but no charger.
I charge at work about 3 times per week.
I public charge on average 2 out of 3 weekends.
I have dropped below 10% level of charge once.
I have my trusted chargers. It works fine for me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I guess the important thing about charging and range, is to do your homework before you buy any BEV.
It is either going to be possible and work for you, or not, and plan accordingly.
I know I would need a home charger, so I got one, would not have spent the money if I knew I had other convenient options available.

I've always wondered, here in Canada, why Costco doesn't get some DCFC's. They would surely make them money fast.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
873 Posts
Ultimately it depends on one's use case and infrastructure in their area.

While I was using a home charger it was more convenient than an ICE unless I needed to do more than 200 miles in a day (very, very rare).

During the last few months were I'm using only 50kW chargers (choice of 2 a few mins from my house, not an issue for me) it's a similar experience with an ICE refueling, just takes longer.

I highly recommend a home charger if you can get one, but if you have a few reliable chargers near where you live or at work like @dave it's still going to be fine just like an ICE is.

For me the only compromise is doing long road trips and having to add charging time and schedule around the not so dense yet network of >150kW chargers. I'd always pick my petrol car for such uses to avoid the hassle, but I'm sure this will be a solved problem in a few years due to a combination of denser network, higher capacity batteries and faster charge times.

·
Registered
535 Posts
If they're looking for mass adoption of EV's then considering most people don't have off street parking they're going to have to solve it. There are already early signs of solutions such as charging from streetlamps (London has 1300, after a successful pilot scheme) and pop up chargers (such as these) too that sit flush with the pavement and rise like bollards

·
Registered
Void non-PP Tow Bar
258 Posts
Definitely worth working out what chargers are around the proposed location.
I have 11kw chargers I regularly leave my car at foR a couple of hours, about a 5 minute walk. There is a 50kw charger 15 minute walk away, so when using I just go for a walk.
I rarely use my home charger due to the current free charging in Scotland.
Definitely doable, it will be like long journey planning, just requires a bit more research than with an ICE.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mr. PS 2 and I work at the same place and they have an amazingly low monthly plan for employees to charge up to 4 hours a day any day, even weekends. Because of that, we haven't had the need for a home charger yet. Of course it may be more difficult after Covid when more people are back at our office and we have to compete for chargers, but there's a reservation system so we just need to plan around that. But there's also a free 7kw charger up the road in case of urgent need (typically taken up by Teslas, so much for their amazing supercharger network). Our second car is an ICE as well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm now one month into living with no home charger since I moved house. I have to say it has been a piece of cake.
At first, I was paying to park in a multi-level car park near work and using my free BP pulse card. So I was getting a full charge once a week for £8. We topped up on a rapid charger every now and again if needed and if convenient. Life was easy.
Then it got even easier. I discovered a three-pin socket in the garage of my newly rented house. I cut the zip ties to my granny charger that I haven't even given a second look to the past 6 months and gave it a whirl. Yes, it's slow but when parked in the same spot for 12 hours every evening (longer at weekends) it more than covers what we need.
Yes, you have to try and plug in every time you get home but it's no hassle at all. I'm so impressed I don't think I'll be in a rush to re-install my home charger when we do move into our new house as I know the garage has installed a 3 pin supply. I'd need to trench in a new supply back to the meter/consumer unit across my garden, so I don't think I'll bother, not until I'm digging up the garden for another reason.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts