Polestar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there are many threads about Pilot Assist (PA) and the Lane-Keeping Aid (LKA). However, I have a very specific comment/question about LKA, so starting a new thread here. Note that my text below is written from a left-hand-drive perspective.

Here's the issue: In my car, LKA activates under specific conditions, even when LKA is completely turned off.

Specifically, on any straight section of road with a well-defined white line on the edge of the road, LKA will activate if I allow the car to drift towards the shoulder. The orange LKA icon temporarily illuminates, and the car nudges itself away from the white line. If there is a curve approaching this doesn't happen, consistent with the expected behavior for LKA. I can reliably make LKA activate any time I want on a straight section of road, simply by intentionally allowing the car to drift towards the line.

Question: Have other people noticed the same type of LKA activation even when they have LKA turned off?

There are times where I would like to turn this behavior off, particularly on a long straight stretch of road where there are bicycles in the shoulder of the oncoming lane, and I move the car to the right to give oncoming traffic room to cross the yellow line in order to give adequate spacing for the bikes. I'm assuming this is not possible, and that this is perhaps some fundamental safety feature? I can't seem to find it documented anywhere.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Do you mean disable LKA in the Assist settings? I leave it enabled but just push through the nudge when I need to.

·
Registered
71 Posts
This is a safety feature to prevent you leaving the lane and is active above 40mph indicated by the white lines on the road symbol and orange when activating. If you have turned this off, out of interest does it do it if you indicate as this is supposed to deactivate LKA.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To be clear, I have LKA completely disabled in the Assist settings. Which, at least on my car, means that it is only partially disabled. In the disabled mode, LKA is almost always inactive except for the situation I described in the original post. On long straightaways, it becomes mysteriously active (to the point of displaying the orange lane icon in the dash) if I let the car drift to the white line near the shoulder. Again, as I said, entirely repeatable - not just a random thing. If nobody else has this, I can make a video.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It will always protect you crossing a fixed line, even with LKA turned off. Its kind of an "Stay On Road Assist" which cannot be disabled.

·
Registered
Ordered MY 2022 on Friday 13th of August! Long Range Dual-Motor, Snow/Nappa, Pilot, Plus, Tow hitch
293 Posts
I noticed this in the loaner (still don't have my car). I like to place the car very specifically on certain types of bends and in certain conditions, and even with the LKA turned off, I found the car "helping me" against my wishes on several occasions. During the weekend I had the car, I was unable to completely identify the boundary conditions for when the car did this, but it was very noticeable. Possibly the car noticed me approaching a white or yellow line and decided to prevent me from crossing it.

On straight sections where the width of the lane (distance between the lines) changes, I find that LKA drags me to the centre of the new lane, even if the wider section is very short and even on motorways, where the end of slip-roads is unmarked. Unfortunately, in Norway we have a lot of roads with uneven lane width and the behaviour is very annoying. On motorways, where LKA is maybe at its most useful, it's downright dangerous. I do hope something will be done about that.

Reactions: KRS and JPC

·
Registered
71 Posts
So I checked this out today. Middle lane on a three lane carriage way LKA on, car corrects with steering if drifting towards other lanes. LKA off and it doesn’t. But in the outer lane it steers me back into the lane thus preventing me leaving the road. For me it was subtle and could override the steering so I’m happy with this behaviour.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So I checked this out today. Middle lane on a three lane carriage way LKA on, car corrects with steering if drifting towards other lanes. LKA off and it doesn’t. But in the outer lane it steers me back into the lane thus preventing me leaving the road. For me it was subtle and could override the steering so I’m happy with this behaviour.
That should be expected behavior as Run-off Road Mitigation is a separate feature to Lane Keep Assist. Driver assistance systems | Volvo Cars

I've never found LKA to be super consistent, but it also seems to me it doesn't intervene with deliberate movements over the lines (such as moving over for bicycles), but I suspect that's me correlating the inconsistent behavior. I've also never tired turning it off though, but I imagine you can't turn it off 100%.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the report. Yes, for me it has always been in the outer lane with a solid line. So, as @lawe said, with LKA tuned off you still have SORA (Stay on Road Assist). :)

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Snow, non-PP, Tow bar
370 Posts
In the situation where you're trying to give cyclists a wide birth and you need to cross over the line in the road, what happens if you use the indicator before crossing the line? Does LKA still try to nudge you back? Assuming you're doing 40MPH or higher.

·
Registered
49 Posts
In the situation where you're trying to give cyclists a wide birth and you need to cross over the line in the road, what happens if you use the indicator before crossing the line? Does LKA still try to nudge you back? Assuming you're doing 40MPH or higher.
It shouldn't since the blinker disables LKA, and I think it stays disabled until centered in the lines again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts