Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Midnight, 20”
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this happened today. We went to the driving range, husband puts the key in his golf bag. We return to the car, used the foot flick to open, he puts the bags away with the key still in the bag and pressed the shut button (not the trunk lock button). The trunk shuts and locks and since he didn’t unlock the door by touch or key prior we were now locked out.
How is this even possible, shouldn’t the car know the key is inside the car and there for not lock? Did we just create a unique scenario 😱😳

·
Registered
P2 2021, Void, Charcoal, no PP, 19 inch
161 Posts
Maybe the golfsticks or anything in the bag covers the signal??? 🤷‍♂️
i will try it out with my key just in the trunk (and my 2nd key at hand in house)

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,871 Posts
So this happened today. We went to the driving range, husband puts the key in his golf bag. We return to the car, used the foot flick to open, he puts the bags away with the key still in the bag and pressed the shut button (not the trunk lock button). The trunk shuts and locks and since he didn’t unlock the door by touch or key prior we were now locked out.
How is this even possible, shouldn’t the car know the key is inside the car and there for not lock? Did we just create a unique scenario 😱😳
THIS IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!! -your golf clubs are still open? Tennis clubs too? :cry:

·
Registered
P2 2021, Void, Charcoal, no PP, 19 inch
161 Posts
I sort of reproduced this scenario and opened the trunk by foot and put my key in the trunk and then closed the trunk with the button. Then i tried to open the trunk but it did not open. Then i opened the frontdoor and i just could open the door. So i did not get your scenario

·
Super Moderator
1,397 Posts
So i did not get your scenario
IIRC, opening the trunk with a kick also unlocks the doors. Closing the trunk with the left button then leaves the doors unlocked. Or is this maybe configurable in a setting and the OP had configured this differently?

Slightly OT: I had exactly the same thing - ok, no golf clubs involved - happen to me 4 years ago with an A5. Luckily, I had an app which could 'remotly' unlock the car :p And I had internet despite being in the middle of nowwhere and my girl friend still had her phone on her on which I could install the app (mine was also locked into the trunk) and I remembered my credentials to log into my account.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
873 Posts
IIRC, opening the trunk with a kick also unlocks the doors. Closing the trunk with the left button then leaves the doors unlocked. Or is this maybe configurable in a setting and the OP had configured this differently?

Slightly OT: I had exactly the same thing - ok, no golf clubs involved - happen to me 4 years ago with an A5. Luckily, I had an app which could 'remotly' unlock the car :p And I had internet despite being in the middle of nowwhere and my girl friend still had her phone on her on which I could install the app (mine was also locked into the trunk) and I remembered my credentials to log into my account.
wow, there was a lot that could go wrong there - even if I reached that last stage I’d have no chance of remembering my credentials!

·
Super Moderator
1,397 Posts
Yep, I was definitly lucky. CS suggested to either drive home and get a replacment key (nice try, 200km away from home on a quiet beach of the Baltic sea with the next public transport 20km away) or to smash a rear windows (least expensive to replace), crawl into the car and get the key through the rear seat. :rolleyes:

About a year later, someone mentioned on the forum that this as not possible, so I tried again: One key in the trunk, second key out of range. Surprisingly, after repeating the procedure, the trunk opened again immediatly after closing and did not stay closed.

Either Audi installed an update during a service in the meantime, or the phone was too close to the key in my jacket and interfered with the key - this was a known problem when trying to lock/unlock the car.

·
Registered
Midnight, 20”
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok figured it out.
I have the keyless setting set to open single door for safety I’ve always set my car doors to open only the one and then hit the unlock button to open the rest if needed.
Once I changed it to all doors and tried again all doors unlocked upon the trunk kick.

This is the lock out scenario.
l

·
Registered
253 Posts
NOTE
• Be aware of the risk of locking the key in the car.
• A key left in the car will be deactivated when the car is locked and the alarm is armed using another valid key. The "Double lock" function is also deactivated. The key left behind is reactivated when the car is unlocked.
• If the car has been locked while the tailgate is open, be careful not to leave the key in the cargo area when the tailgate is closed and the car is completely locked. 30
• Always try moving closer to the car and making another unlock attempt.

30 if the key is detected inside the car, the tailgate will not lock when it is closed

Saw this in the Key, locks and alarm section of the user manual and was like, "I'm so going to end up doing that..."

·
Registered
873 Posts
NOTE
• Be aware of the risk of locking the key in the car.
• A key left in the car will be deactivated when the car is locked and the alarm is armed using another valid key. The "Double lock" function is also deactivated. The key left behind is reactivated when the car is unlocked.
• If the car has been locked while the tailgate is open, be careful not to leave the key in the cargo area when the tailgate is closed and the car is completely locked. 30
• Always try moving closer to the car and making another unlock attempt.

30 if the key is detected inside the car, the tailgate will not lock when it is closed

Saw this in the Key, locks and alarm section of the user manual and was like, "I'm so going to end up doing that..."
Yeah and since it helpfully deactivates the key, even if you break a glass and somehow reach in and get it, it will not let you start the car!

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
30 if the key is detected inside the car, the tailgate will not lock when it is closed.
These two statements seem to imply that the OG scenario is impossible.

I'm going to assume it's my settings, but when I tried to lock the keys in the trunk(boot) the door would not close with my foot action. It just beeped 3 times and stayed open.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,888 Posts
Yeah and since it helpfully deactivates the key, even if you break a glass and somehow reach in and get it, it will not let you start the car!
Not quite - it only deactivates the key if the alarm is then subsequently armed using another key. So if you lock the key in there, smash the window and grab the key, it will work perfectly.

·
Registered
873 Posts
These two statements seem to imply that the OG scenario is impossible.

I'm going to assume it's my settings, but when I tried to lock the keys in the trunk(boot) the door would not close with my foot action. It just beeped 3 times and stayed open.
Not quite - it only deactivates the key if the alarm is then subsequently armed using another key. So if you lock the key in there, smash the window and grab the key, it will work perfectly.
Oh that would make more sense. So here's a scenario:

- lock with the key or by touching outside a handle, while tailgate is open, then drop it in the back and use the close+lock button (or foot wave) to close it.

according to the manual:
"If the car has been locked while the tailgate is open, be careful not to leave the key in the cargo area when the tailgate is closed and the car is completely locked."

You are right, it most likely will not be deactivated, I was wrong to suggest that, so if you can retrieve the key all is fine.

This kind of contradicts the other point the manual makes though "if the key is detected inside the car, the tailgate will not lock when it is closed."

So if this is true, then the tailgate will not be locked, so you'd just have to open it and get it. This has the sideffect of you potentially not realising it though, and leaving the car with the key in it and the tailgate unlocked, especially in the UK where you can't enable audible confirmation of locking so it's easy to miss this.

If I'm sufficiently bored later today I'll try a few experiments!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts