Polestar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having received our Polestar 2 on Wednesday 7th October we set off on Saturday 10th to the Isle of Skye, stopping off on the way for 1 night as Luss on the banks of Loch Lomond.
Having been used to the long range of a diesel this was a new experience for us as EV newbies.
Setting off with around 85% charge we headed north up the A1 and across the A66 towards the M6.
We stopped at the Rheged Centre near Penrith at a 50 kW charger and had a picnic lunch whilst charging to around 80% again in around 45 minutes so no problem so far but not achieving the range we expected, more like 170 - 180 on the motorway.
We decided to charge again around Glasgow as not many fast chargers nearer Luss so we could set off with some charge in the morning. This took a bit of searching as many of the chargers were not working which added to the journey time.
Day 2 saw us heading towards Skye but to be safe we stopped at Crianlarich where there is a fast charger in the car park where there were also public toilets so worth a stop if you are heading that way.
heading into the hills we had one strange moment where the centre console screen went blank as did the satnav and Spotify but all resumed within a minute so I assume we just lost 4G in the hills as we never encountered this again.
Most chargers in Scotland are free to use which is a nice bonus but you have to register first.
We were staying at Portree on Skye where there was a 50kW charger shown in the car park near the harbour. Unfortunately when we arrived we discovered they were redoing the car park and had removed the charger! A bit of a panic then as only about 60 miles range and there aren't many fast chargers on Skye.
Day 3 saw us change our plans and head for a fast charge at Uig but that didn't work either and couldn't be activated remotely as there was no signal. Rang anxiety surfaced and we headed back to Portree to a slower charger to top up.
2 hours later (and a long walk) we had enough charge to get to Dunvegan where there was a fast charger where we took it to 90% and then visited the castle gardens which are well worth a visit.
Day 4 onwards we had no problems as we learnt to charge the car on the way back from our day out so we were all ready for the next day and could relax.
Day 5 saw us head back on the ferry from Skye to Mallaig where we headed past Fort William and recharged at Crianlarich again before stopping overnight at St Fillans.
Day 6 we headed home stopping to try the 350kW Ionity chargers on the way.
Pictures attached showing the consumption each day and the glorious weather we had on Skye.
It is possible to do a 1,200 mile round trip in 1 week without too much stress in an EV as you soon learn about the chargers and adapt your driving style etc.
The P2 was very comfortable with next to no wind noise and not much road noise and attracted an awful lot of attention. The overtaking power is fantastic, the only thing to watch out for is your speed can creep up without realising as there is no engine noise. Once you realise that the claimed range of 292 miles is unrealistic because you rarely start from 100% and take it to 0% you say around 200 miles is more realistic depending on driving and conditions. Most people will not charge much below 20% unless they know there is a working charger nearby. We achieved an average of 34.8kWh/100 miles for the trip with best of just under 30 on slower windy roads using regen. This technically would give over 200 miles which for a lot of journeys is fine.
This journey showed us we can do longer runs, just plan a little better.
20201011_185516_resized.jpg
20201012_180322_resized.jpg
20201013_174439_resized.jpg
20201014_183626_resized.jpg
20201016_170554_resized.jpg

·
Registered
61 Posts

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
667 Posts
I've never noticed before how deep those scoops appear in the bonnet when looking head on (see your last pic) yet are barely noticable from the side (or for that matter in different lights).

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have to give the credit to my wife for the last picture. Taken on her Huawei P20 which takes very impressive pictures but the weather and scenery helps! We never expected October weather up there to be as good, just hit lucky. Best bit is due to free charging we only spent about £20 on filling the car!

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
Thank you very much for taking the time to do such a detailed writeup. People have mentioned that you have to change your philosophy of a road trip a bit, and it sounds like this is true and that you adapted successfully and quickly.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We decided to try a long first trip when we weren't in a rush. It was quite a steep learning curve but you pick up quite a lot by talking to other EV owners who are charging and the P2 was certainly a talking point.
If I do a long business trip it will certainly help me plan it better and know what to look for. We found some fast chargers very close to well known cheap hotels. If you plan you don't even need to worry if someone else is charging as you can charge later in the evening. We certainly found it helped to charge the night before so you had the whole day ahead the following morning without having to worry about charging.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I don't know if Thunder shows things up more. I am always amazed how it can look so different in various lights. Certainly glad I picked this colour.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Great trip review. I can't think of a better car or better scenery to learn how to do a long EV trip in the UK. You've certainly shown it's perfectly possible once you've adapted your approach to a different way of travelling.

·
Registered
California | 2
60 Posts
A few years ago I rented a diesel V40 for a similar trip to Skye. Appreciate seeing the comparison and reading the thoughts.

Edit: For this audience, I believe I meant “hired” instead of “rented"

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We ended up so relaxed that are planning on the North Coast 500 next year. It would be easy in the P2 as there look to be plenty of fast chargers on the route. It will depend when we go as the alternative is a convertible. I understand some of the roads are single track and there are plenty of Motorhomes doing the route now (just like Skye), many of which are rented and don't like to reverse.
That is the one good thing to come out of Covid 19, we explore our own country which has some beautiful places and roads. All too often we go abroad when we have it on our own doorstep and I am sure that applies everywhere. We need to step back and enjoy what we have. Too often we are rushing around like headless chickens and complaining about too short a range or not fast enough.... Many new EV owners will find that you are forced to slow down in life a bit due to the charging but it does give you the opportunity to explore more places too. Sometimes it can be frustrating if you have a deadline but mainly you will adapt and actually be less stressed. For most people a realistic 200 mile range is sufficient for 95% of their driving.
For those of you unsure whether you have made the right decision or not with the P2 I can assure you that you have and you won't regret it. I have always been a petrolhead and never envisaged an EV but went down the route due to the tax reasons and have been very pleasantly surprised. We still have ICE cars so have the choice but are happy with the P2.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I understand some of the roads are single track and there are plenty of Motorhomes doing the route now (just like Skye), many of which are rented and don't like to reverse We still have ICE cars so have the choice but are happy with the P2.
I have my VW T5 campervan and have yet to go to Skye. Maybe next year.

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
Careful, 968, this is hardly the place for well reasoned, considerate, philosophical ramblings. We can let this go now and then, but we'll expect compensating glib remarks about hoodies out of you in the near future.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
T5 is the best sort of size, the main roads are fine but some of the smaller ones are single track and when you get to the tourist places the car parks are not big and not too good. They are busy building more car parks at the main attractions which shows you how busy it is becoming. Bear in mind the midges are out in force between May and September. It was still busy in October as it was Scottish holiday but a lot quieter than summer. Even so car parks were often full if you don't get there early. Sligachan is a good place to stay as fairly central, good reasonably priced hotel and I think they had spots for campers too. Portree also good position for more northern parts.
There are some lovely roads on the way to Skye as well as Skye which are well suited to the P2. We spent 4 nights on Skye which you will need if you are to see enough + some walking.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Careful, 968, this is hardly the place for well reasoned, considerate, philosophical ramblings. We can let this go now and then, but we'll expect compensating glib remarks about hoodies out of you in the near future.
Sorry Prof, will try to do better in future! :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
T5 is the best sort of size, the main roads are fine but some of the smaller ones are single track and when you get to the tourist places the car parks are not big and not too good. They are busy building more car parks at the main attractions which shows you how busy it is becoming. Bear in mind the midges are out in force between May and September. It was still busy in October as it was Scottish holiday but a lot quieter than summer. Even so car parks were often full if you don't get there early. Sligachan is a good place to stay as fairly central, good reasonably priced hotel and I think they had spots for campers too. Portree also good position for more northern parts.
There are some lovely roads on the way to Skye as well as Skye which are well suited to the P2. We spent 4 nights on Skye which you will need if you are to see enough + some walking.
I remember the midge on the West Coast on family summer holidays back in the late 60's Went to Ayrshire a couple of years ago in September (good weather) and then headed to Inverness. University friend lives there.

Definitely will be travelling out of season. The main summertime from June to end of August is reserved for music festivals. Now with the vaccine on the horizon, I am definitely hoping 2021 will go ahead. I have three festivals booked.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts