Polestar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
Discussion Starter #1
How do you think the shape of the Polestar 2 will age over time?
Don't get me wrong, I love it. I'm into well-built, understated functionality (just look at the homemade flashing codpiece in my profile pic). But it (the P*2) is a bit blocky. And when every other car has caught up & got LED light shows etc, is our car going to look dated before it's time?
I'm not looking to start a fight so stay calm. It is very subjective of course.

Registered
Yeah good Q.

I'm not a massive fan of the rear already from some angles. I know it's a packaging challenge but the waist rises a bit too high towards the back IMO, and as you say, the blocky rear profile sometimes jars with me. Only so much you can be distracted by the LEDs!

Don't get me wrong, the whole design is much more coherent than say, um, the Tesla M3! 馃槈

The front is quite classically handsome and will probably age ok. Just don't walk round the back in 5 years. 馃檲

Reactions: boakham

Registered
How do you think the shape of the Polestar 2 will age over time?
Don't get me wrong, I love it. I'm into well-built, understated functionality (just look at the homemade flashing codpiece in my profile pic). But it (the P*2) is a bit blocky. And when every other car has caught up & got LED light shows etc, is our car going to look dated before it's time?
I'm not looking to start a fight so stay calm. It is very subjective of course.
Can鈥檛 answer the question.. too busy laughing at your profile pic. 馃ぃ

Super Moderator
I think the front will age well, as will the haunchy stance. The rear already looks like any (other) Volvo saloon to me - classy but anonymous. But that's just my humble opinion!

Reactions: polerad

Registered
I think inside will age faster than the outside.

It was funny ... my Kia Stinger was awesome inside and out ... imho of course. I had Napa leather, a decent infotainment screen, and all the gadgets you could ask for.

Yet after the test drive I got back inside and felt the interior looked dated. It still looked amazing from the outside.

This is how I feel the Polestar will be. Tech jumps in leaps and bounds in a few years ... good outside styling will very rarely look bad.

Registered
Yet after the test drive I got back inside and felt the interior looked dated.
Retro!

Until I looked at this forum I did not realise people loved the look of their cars. I am more a utilitarian. So four-wheel drive, I can drive across fields. Plastic interiors, great they clean better.

So my love is the Rivian, or maybe the Cyber Truck. That does look cool to me.

The Tesla 3 is boring, the Polestar a little more classy. But the truth is I would prefer a truck, but I am not allowed one.

So it's a boring saloon car for me!

Registered
'21 2 | Palo Alto, CA
Retro!

Until I looked at this forum I did not realise people loved the look of their cars. I am more a utilitarian. So four-wheel drive, I can drive across fields. Plastic interiors, great they clean better.

So my love is the Rivian, or maybe the Cyber Truck. That does look cool to me.

The Tesla 3 is boring, the Polestar a little more classy. But the truth is I would prefer a truck, but I am not allowed one.

So it's a boring saloon car for me!
which proper EV truck actually makes it to market first? Rivian, Tesla, Ford, Hummer, Bollinger, Nikola (ha!), Chinese company TBD?

Registered
I've got my deposit still on the Cybertruck ... maybe 2025 I'll might be able to start the pre-order process.
I thought I heard on the recent Tesla battery day presentation that the Cybertruck will be North America only. Mind you, they have the road width for it unlike UK/Europe. So no pre-order for you:confused:

Registered
I think it's likely the Polestar 3 will adopt a similar design language to the Polestar 2 and the Polestar 1, so this design language will still look current for at least 3 or 4 years ahead when it will be time for Polestar to adopt new design cues.

I think in years to come we will see more automakers embrace the no-grille look featured on the latest Model S and Model 3. So the black grille insert on the front of the Polestar 2 will eventually date the car to that time period when automakers were still trying to appease the average car buyer with a faux grille applique on the front.

In a similar vein, have you noticed how car front ends have overall become much more exaggerated in recent years with enormous grille openings? These latest model years of cars are going to age horribly as soon as the no-grille trend sets in. Cars from the late 2000s that were designed with restrained detailing will look better.

This will look dated:

This will look current longer:

Registered
I thought I heard on the recent Tesla battery day presentation that the Cybertruck will be North America only. Mind you, they have the road width for it unlike UK/Europe. So no pre-order for you:confused:
Haven't watch that. Seems still to open for preorders in the UK. https://www.tesla.com/en_gb/cybertruck/design#battery But auto-express does not believe it's coming here, except in a small version. Tesla Cybertruck unlikely to come to UK, but a smaller version could | Auto Express

Registered
I wasn't a massive fan of the looks from the start, couldn't see why people were raving. Now mine has arrived i like it better.

How will it age? The surfaces are simple and not too fashionable so may date slowly. A neighbour has a 25 year old volvo estate and it looks great. That being said, the slant nose Volve 480 of the same era looks terrible these days. Just odd. To my eye at least.

I think it will date ok. In 10 years people will probably still wonder why it rides so high 馃檮

Registered
'21 2 | Palo Alto, CA
I think it's likely the Polestar 3 will adopt a similar design language to the Polestar 2 and the Polestar 1, so this design language will still look current for at least 3 or 4 years ahead when it will be time for Polestar to adopt new design cues.

I think in years to come we will see more automakers embrace the no-grille look featured on the latest Model S and Model 3. So the black grille insert on the front of the Polestar 2 will eventually date the car to that time period when automakers were still trying to appease the average car buyer with a faux grille applique on the front.

In a similar vein, have you noticed how car front ends have overall become much more exaggerated in recent years with enormous grille openings? These latest model years of cars are going to age horribly as soon as the no-grille trend sets in. Cars from the late 2000s that were designed with restrained detailing will look better.

This will look dated:
View attachment 876

This will look current longer:
View attachment 877
The Polestar 3 is meant to be on the Volvo SPA platform and take design cues from the Precept (which itself was announced to be going into production???).
So I'm picturing the Polestar 3 as the love-child of the XC90 and the Precept. I'm guessing the Polestar 2 will be the last Polestar with a faux grille.

I think the Polestar 2 will look fresher in 10 years than the Model 3, which to me already looks stale, maybe because of its ubiquity around here. In contrast, I think the Model S still looks great - just wish its interior matched!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts