Polestar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered my Magnesium PS2 non PP with 20” alloys a couple of weeks ago with a May “estimated” delivery date.

I’m a total EV newbie & have to say a massive thank you for everyone’s tips & advice on here, it’s a great resource for someone like me who is a little apprehensive about switching to fully electric. 😬

Already I have learned so much through the buying process but have a few more questions!

My main complication funnily enough has been the wall charger. I have an old house with archaic electrics along with a looped supply. Has anyone been in a similar position & had any success with their electricity supplier in upgrading so it’s suitable for a wall charger? What was the process?

Another complication is I will probably moving home next year... has anyone done this and moved their wall charger to the new property? What were the costs involved with this?

Finally, what is the best way to track delivery? As discussed the estimate I got when ordering was May. Do we know if they are meeting these estimates or is it impossible to say?

Cheers

·
Registered
Non PP, Midnight, Load Bars
138 Posts
I ordered my Magnesium PS2 non PP with 20” alloys a couple of weeks ago with a May “estimated” delivery date.

I’m a total EV newbie & have to say a massive thank you for everyone’s tips & advice on here, it’s a great resource for someone like me who is a little apprehensive about switching to fully electric. 😬

Already I have learned so much through the buying process but have a few more questions!

My main complication funnily enough has been the wall charger. I have an old house with archaic electrics along with a looped supply. Has anyone been in a similar position & had any success with their electricity supplier in upgrading so it’s suitable for a wall charger? What was the process?

Another complication is I will probably moving home next year... has anyone done this and moved their wall charger to the new property? What were the costs involved with this?

Finally, what is the best way to track delivery? As discussed the estimate I got when ordering was May. Do we know if they are meeting these estimates or is it impossible to say?

Cheers
Good Morning @Big al, I would suggest saving your grant money and installing the charger at the new house. If you can, make do with the 13amp charger. It is slow but works well enough. My POD Point was installed with no problems. It was a complete solution from Consumer unit to new breaker box to wiring. Most Charger installers will ask some questions about your supply first. Have you chosen your charger yet? The only "tracking" i got for my car was a phone call then the agreed date and time appeared in my order summary. On the day i got a call from the delivery driver to give me an estimate.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @MarkG47 for the speedy response.

Good idea...however the problem with the 13amp charger is that I’ve had to oversell the convenience and simplicity of an EV to get the sign off from the wife!

A 37 hour charge just won’t be workable when (or if!) we come out of lockdown and we start using the car more.

I’ll leave it as a last resort & explore re-installation costs when moving.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,357 Posts
Some considerations...

It'll cost you just as much as the initial install, if not more, moving the charger. You won't be able to claim the OLEV grant twice either unless your other half gets an EV at the new address - so you'll have to absorb the hit at the time of the move. Personally unless you know you're -definitely- going to move, maybe not much point on dwelling on the future and just get it sorted.

An alternative would be to have an electrician install an EV compliant commando socket, then sign up to Octopus Energy and take advantage of their offer of an Ohme charger for £199. You can then take the cable with you to the new place and just have another commando socket installed. Depending on the complexity of the installation, this will be somewhere in the region of £300-600. So overall this is still way cheaper than a 'subsidised' OLEV install and then having it moved.

But I would say that a 37 hour charge on the granny is unlikely because you'd never run it completely flat. You'd generally be topping up overnight each day. You won't be putting 75kWh in it daily!

Unlooping isn't something you shouldn't need to worry about. Just contact your DNO and request it. There's no charge.

Use this tool to find your DNO:-

-edit- typo above, I wrote should, not shouldn't!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks @stevelup... the Ohme cable sounds like quite an elegant solution, would the commando socket bring a similar rate of charging than the granny? (I need to do learn some electricity basics ASAP!)

I know there’s a few 5kw chargers on my road if I ever need to charge more quickly...but don’t fancy leaving a brand new PS2 on the street at the mercy of London’s unique style of on-street Parking! Parked my S4 there one evening when we had friends staying overnight (remember those days!) and the door was keyed 🤬

·
Super Moderator
1,357 Posts
Nope, Ohme via commando will give you the full 7.2kW - just the same as a permanently installed charger. More than three times the speed of the granny.

·
Super Moderator
1,357 Posts
ps, in my reply about unlooping, I meant to write shouldn't, not should which totally changed the meaning of the sentence! Unlooping is nothing to worry about usually.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't worry I got the jist!
Well this is a game changer... perfect solution if I can get the commando socket installed at a decent price. Hopefully won't have to 'un-loop' with this option as well. 👏

·
Super Moderator
1,357 Posts
Well, that is indeed a very interesting question... No-one is going to force you to unloop in these circumstances, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't still be done. It's dodgy ground - you're still supposed to notify the DNO if you intend on connecting a load like this - doesn't matter what the load is.

Are you the first in the loop or somewhere downstream?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts