Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So someone on face was brave enough to go below 5%. This is what he said on Facebook.

At 9% battery the colour goes to red. At 5% you get the tortoise showing. Gradually the power available decreases but it’s still enough to drive at 60mph..... it just takes ages to get there!

He mentions he wasn't brave enough to go below 3%

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Found another post where someone went down to 0%. Still had 2 miles range. Again wasn't brave enough to see what happens past that point.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Interesting video here:

Basically Matt Watson driving a lot of the new smaller BEVs until they died. It seems most of them still have about 20 miles left in the tank when they hit zero, so we could have more range than you think... Not keen to try it though :D

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,877 Posts
So that would be able 10 miles on the Polestar due to inefficiencies, which corresponds to 4kWh - that's where pretty much all of the difference is between the 73ishkWh reported usable and 78kWh total capacity. Unless they decide to make it actually stop at 0%, that's why I don't think they can "release" any extra capacity because it simply isn't there.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Interesting video here:

Basically Matt Watson driving a lot of the new smaller BEVs until they died. It seems most of them still have about 20 miles left in the tank when they hit zero, so we could have more range than you think... Not keen to try it though :D

Yes, that was interesting thanks Anglodude. But, putting on my Grinch hat, it's pretty irresponsible of the Carwow
posse to litter the North of England with expired EV's 😲 I think if Matt Watson had blocked my access road, I'd have been less sympathetic! Good research though 👍😉.​

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
I'm surprised that some car mag has not done this with every EV as part of their comprehensive testing.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
if someone will ‘volunteer’ to run beyond 0% then please post your experience of how the car slows/shuts down.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
if someone will ‘volunteer’ to run beyond 0% then please post your experience of how the car slows/shuts down.
I've run gas cars all the way out to see what the gage really means. But I wouldn't do this to a BEV as it might cause a bit of damage to the batteries.

Reactions: Mick

·
Registered
702 Posts
Interesting video here:

They have done two of these, one which was the bigger more expensive EVs and one with the smaller EVs. Interesting observation they had was the inability to move most of them once dead.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I would be worried that once completely dead you wouldn't even be able to charge it again as there is some power required for the charging system to handshake with a charger and such. I guess if the 12V battery still had some juice then that might be what controls that system so it might be OK. I don't plan to ever test it though. 😉

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,877 Posts
The 12V system handles that so it wouldn't be a problem. However it's not possible to move a car with a completely flat battery, no, it will need to be dragged/lifted onto a flat bed and taken to a charger.

Best to bail out if you get to 1% so you have something left to get it onto the flatbed trailer.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,863 Posts
Auto clubs are getting them for sure. PS as part of their roadside assistance will come and give you a charge if you run to zero.
Seriously thinking of getting one of these. Would you advise permanently towing it? Would that affect my range much?

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Seriously thinking of getting one of these. Would you advise permanently towing it? Would that affect my range much?
The same way an auto service can deliver gas to someone who runs out, they are now carrying storage that can give an EV a charge to get to the nearest DC charger. Just as you could carry a gas can in your boot, you could certainly carry a spare battery as well. And yes, it would affect your range ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts