Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2022 LRSM Thunder/Slate/Plus/Hitch
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out today, that apparently, at least in Ontario, all LRSM MY2022 are being registered with blue plates only, instead of green plate for all BEVs. The reason behind this according to Space Toronto, is a glitch and Polestar Canada as well as government officials are aware of it. No timeline for a fix has been offered …. My sense out of the email exchange was, that it could be fixed already this minute or it could take months and months…

I am assuming this is a problem made in Ontario … or if you are from a different province with the same issue pls chime in. Just to have an idea of the scope …

For some buyers, this will be no issue, for others like me, it is quite a concern, since HOV is heavily utilized daily and one of few reasons we have had EV for some time (with a green plate … 😂).

I think at the very least they should offer something official on a letterhead for the time being, so we can keep using HOV, and if stopped by OPP, I would take chances presenting the letter …. Or something along the lines.

I still think it’s kind of crazy, but I guess anything is possible these days in the upside down market. They have had such a long time since knowing they will import LRSM‘s and after they are finally here, they tell me it will be delivered wth a wrong plate type? Honestly, I wonder what else is hiding around the corner from them? …. Maybe this is one of many signs … “Don’t buy the car!” … 🙄

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am surprised they sold you the car ... I guess they don't care, the registration is your problem. But expect blue plates, unless it's fixed by then.

123 Posts
I am surprised they sold you the car ... I guess they don't care, the registration is your problem. But expect blue plates, unless it's fixed by then.
I found out today, that apparently, at least in Ontario, all LRSM MY2022 are being registered with blue plates only, instead of green plate for all BEVs. The reason behind this according to Space Toronto, is a glitch and Polestar Canada as well as government officials are aware of it. No timeline for a fix has been offered …. My sense out of the email exchange was, that it could be fixed already this minute or it could take months and months…

I am assuming this is a problem made in Ontario … or if you are from a different province with the same issue pls chime in. Just to have an idea of the scope …

For some buyers, this will be no issue, for others like me, it is quite a concern, since HOV is heavily utilized daily and one of few reasons we have had EV for some time (with a green plate … 😂).

I think at the very least they should offer something official on a letterhead for the time being, so we can keep using HOV, and if stopped by OPP, I would take chances presenting the letter …. Or something along the lines.

I still think it’s kind of crazy, but I guess anything is possible these days in the upside down market. They have had such a long time since knowing they will import LRSM‘s and after they are finally here, they tell me it will be delivered wth a wrong plate type? Honestly, I wonder what else is hiding around the corner from them? …. Maybe this is one of many signs … “Don’t buy the car!” … 🙄
That is bullshit. Technically the single motor is more green that the dual.

They only upside is that there will be less people in the hov lanes for my wife's daily commute :)

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It is not about greener or not, or that it is even disputed or seriously suggested that this vehicle is not BEV as defined by the law in Ontario….it’s about someone’s incompetence to make sure that paper pushers did their job properly and make sure the vehicle is ready to be received and registered by MTO, insurance companies etc. …. Something has obviously fallen through the cracks, and it’s the consumer now asked to deal with the consequences…and yes, that particular part is BS.

·
Registered
419 Posts
That's weird, the gov't web site states all P*2 models and trims are eligible?

View attachment 13528
patience. Just like the delay in getting the SM released from port.

I have my green plate ready from my prior car. Even ifI have to pay the extra costs to register it, the plate easily makes up for the time saved in the future. Delayed gratification.

in the short term I will curse the time sitting in traffic watching others zip by but happily stare at the $5k saved and 0.99% with the amount owing

·
Registered
P2, Snow, Slate, PP, Hitch, Nextbase Dashcam, 20% Tint, Polestar, give us more regen. breaking!
478 Posts

I suggest using the HOV lane as you wish. Cops who police cars should know cars. You drive a fully electric car, you shouldn't have to prove that with the colour of your plates. A cop isn't going to pull a Tesla over with regular plates. "BTW I thought the Blue Plates were discontinued now?". Anyway I wanted a personalized plate so I got one. I am fortunate to not have to rely on the HOV lanes.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I suggest using the HOV lane as you wish. Cops who police cars should know cars. You drive a fully electric car, you shouldn't have to prove that with the colour of your plates. A cop isn't going to pull a Tesla over with regular plates. "BTW I thought the Blue Plates were discontinued now?". Anyway I wanted a personalized plate so I got one. I am fortunate to not have to rely on the HOV lanes.
Polestar dealer kept calling them blue plates. I was confused as I still had an older white plate with blue lettering

I am debating about putting my green plates on since it will eventually be that plate. But that mismatch would cause me issues if I was pulled over for another infraction. The rule is clearly noted on the HOV. Best to be a good citizen until the car qualifies.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
That's weird, the gov't web site states all P*2 models and trims are eligible?

View attachment 13528
You misunderstood, it has nothing to do with eligibility, it’s not disputed …. It’s rather a glitch in MTOs database nobody has fixed yet, for months…and nobody bothers to tell the customers who are just about to receive their cars either.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I had some official paper from Polestar or MTO … something like “ a temporary green plate in waiting”…. Yes, sure. But I don't have time to waste with a ticket or a zealous cop, who quite frankly could easily determine it is electric, but that is not what the law says is required to use HOV … it’s minimum either a green plate or +2 people in a car.

I am just really peeved with Polestar, period.

·
Registered
P2, Snow, Slate, PP, Hitch, Nextbase Dashcam, 20% Tint, Polestar, give us more regen. breaking!
478 Posts
If I had some official paper from Polestar or MTO … something like “ a temporary green plate in waiting”…. Yes, sure. But I don't have time to waste with a ticket or a zealous cop, who quite frankly could easily determine it is electric, but that is not what the law says is required to use HOV … it’s minimum either a green plate or +2 people in a car.

I am just really peeved with Polestar, period.
Food point. The ticket would be a slap in the face. Have you tried contacting service Ontario directly?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don’t have anything yet to go there with, and I think a phone would be useless waste of waiting time … I think @focal tried, if I am not mistaken.

·
Registered
P2PPP
313 Posts
I suggest using the HOV lane as you wish. Cops who police cars should know cars.
That is not a good advice. Having an electric car does not make you eligible for HOV lanes with a single occupant. Green plates do, MTO rules are very specific about that. We've had multiple reports of EV drivers ticketed with blue plates over HOV use.

·
Registered
478 Posts
That is not a good advice. Having an electric car does not make you eligible for HOV lanes with a single occupant. Green plates do, MTO rules are very specific about that. We've had multiple reports of EV drivers ticketed with blue plates over HOV use.
You also aren't legally allowed to drive when you realize you forgot your wallet in your other jacket. Rules only work if they make sense. Let's let the cops chase the folks with a mannequin in the passenger seat.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That’s a non-moving violation you can get removed easily once you present your license and registration or most cops will simply not bother if they pull your name and see a clean record.

Also, the chunk of hwy we use the HVO at is policed quite frequently, so it’s not like we have never seen anyone being pulled.

At any rate, Polestar needs to get this fixed and fast, because I don’t understand why after months and months waiting for my car, their VIN is still not decoded correctly by MTO.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Days later, still no update on car or situation with the plates …. I am seriously thinking of cancelling since they are clearly not fulfilling their side of the agreement. This buying experience has been absolutely the worst I have ever experienced buying any car, and most cars I have bought new were not higher end, so that tells you how low the bar is. I don’t blame just the particular Space, but Polestar Canada as well as they are supposed to deliver the car to the dealer shop and make sure it’s ready to be green plated at MTO From compliance standpoint.

It‘s really hard for me to recommend this brand to anyone I know right now if you live in GTA …. I could not do it with a straight face. They are simply not ready, the operation is a joke. It’s truly sad …. And everyone hides behind logistics and pandemic and who knows what else, while this is just about good old customer service and doing their job, returning calls and making you actually feel like a customer.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I wouldn’t go to the extreme as you. in the end, I stayed patient and the car got delivered. not having the green plate will be a huge time waste but I will give it to the end of the year to sort out.
As for the car, you will love it. Solid and comfortable. Not a speed machine (Single motor) but very capable.

I just took my toy car out and it is so different now that I have lived with EV for a few years. ICE days are ending.
There aren’t many alternative EVs right now that you can deliver. The P*2 is worth it. Stay patient.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I hear you ... but this is getting way too much … I simply cannot except constantly delayed delivery ( the car has been reportedly sitting at the Toronto railhead for over a week), with a blue plate without knowing when a green plate will be sorted and pay handsome, apparently, non-negotiable 750$ admin fee …. sorry, that’s just not gonna happen. It feels like they don’t really know how to sell cars to customers….🙄

I understand most people like the car, but at the end of the day, it’s just a car …. if they don’t want to sell and deliver to me the car they advertise, there will be someone sooner or later who will. Not an end of the world.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts