Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Months ago I told MM to ensure that the front plate bracket was NOT installed. They failed at this and when my car arrived it had the front bracket. As many do, we thought it could be simply removed and color matched bumper plugs put in. So I had my car at my detailer to get PPF and they removed the bracket. The idiots who installed it, drilled large holes and then inserted metal studs that also dug into the surrounding area of the bumper deforming the immediate area. So now my recourse is, put the bracket back on; have them repair and repaint the bumper (~$1800) or try and make Polestar replace the bumper (which I think is what should be done).

Oh and I still don't have registration paperwork and the temp tag ran out 6 days ago...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ugh. I’m so sorry to hear that. Mine is supposed to be loaded onto the truck today, and I told Shari that if the plate bracket is mounted, I will refuse delivery. She swears it won’t be. I hope she’s right.

In other fun, my temp tag will likely expire before I get the car (Shari sent me the same letter to show the cops that others have received) & I’ll have to make my first payment within days of getting the car...even though I have no idea what my account number is or where to send it.

@KRS I hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction. What a pain. Maybe Polestar shouldn’t have made so much hay about “goodbye to dealerships” without having a plan for better customer experience in place...

·
Registered
850 Posts
I took my plate bracket off and it's the same thing. I was NOT promised that it wouldn't be drilled, just that they would do their best to tell the port NOT to drill them. Yes, I need to find a way to cover this up. As there's no way to drill these out and cover with a plug without really messing up the bumper, I will try to find something that I can screw in to the holes and then paint. I measured the mounting screw that came out and it is 6mm diameter, 1mm thread pitch - I'll take it in and be sure. I have a couple of ideas, one is to spend the $30 + shipping/tax to get the bumper plugs mentioned earlier and shave them down if they're too big, or to try to find a flat or button head bolt that will screw in and then use touch-up paint to match the bumper color. Really annoying.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took my plate bracket off and it's the same thing. I was NOT promised that it wouldn't be drilled, just that they would do their best to tell the port NOT to drill them. Yes, I need to find a way to cover this up. As there's no way to drill these out and cover with a plug without really messing up the bumper, I will try to find something that I can screw in to the holes and then paint. I measured the mounting screw that came out and it is 6mm diameter, 1mm thread pitch - I'll take it in and be sure. I have a couple of ideas, one is to spend the $30 + shipping/tax to get the bumper plugs mentioned earlier and shave them down if they're too big, or to try to find a flat or button head bolt that will screw in and then use touch-up paint to match the bumper color. Really annoying.
FYI my detailer told me that they would have to remove the bumper in order to remove these studs so I am guessing there is a nut on the backside. Or do you think you will leave the studs in and then get something to go into the studs?

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Close up of mine, before I washed it.

Note that not only is the rivet location buckled out, but the feet of the plate holder have made impressions into the bumper as well.

·
Registered
850 Posts
FYI my detailer told me that they would have to remove the bumper in order to remove these studs so I am guessing there is a nut on the backside. Or do you think you will leave the studs in and then get something to go into the studs?
Yes, that's exactly what I'm planning. I want to do something that would NOT mess up the studs in case I ever move to a state that requires a front plate (unlikely), or that I sell it (nearly as unlikely), or that TN changes the law to require front plates (who knows?).

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, that's exactly what I'm planning. I want to do something that would NOT mess up the studs in case I ever move to a state that requires a front plate (unlikely), or that I sell it (nearly as unlikely), or that TN changes the law to require front plates (who knows?).
Keep me informed if you come up with anything and I'll do the same!

Reactions: Mick

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Close up of mine, before I washed it.

Note that not only is the rivet location buckled out, but the feet of the plate holder have made impressions into the bumper as well.
OMG! I don't know how much I would freak out if they had done that to mine. Are they replacing your bumper?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Maybe you can use touch up paint to make them look like parking sensors.
Here in the UK we don't have a choice, we have to show the front number plate on a car.

·
Registered
P2, Snow, Slate, PP, Hitch, Nextbase Dashcam, 20% Tint, Polestar, give us more regen. breaking!
308 Posts
Months ago I told MM to ensure that the front plate bracket was NOT installed. They failed at this and when my car arrived it had the front bracket. As many do, we thought it could be simply removed and color matched bumper plugs put in. So I had my car at my detailer to get PPF and they removed the bracket. The idiots who installed it, drilled large holes and then inserted metal studs that also dug into the surrounding area of the bumper deforming the immediate area. So now my recourse is, put the bracket back on; have them repair and repaint the bumper (~$1800) or try and make Polestar replace the bumper (which I think is what should be done).

Oh and I still don't have registration paperwork and the temp tag ran out 6 days ago...

View attachment 3224

View attachment 3225
That is BS KRS, I'm sorry to hear that. I will make sure to ask my rep. what is done at the dealership to prepare the car after transporter delivery.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So update; no update really. After a week I got a response from Jeff and he asked if I had an estimate for repairs (first time this was mentioned). After a day of cooling off (as in, why should I have to run out and get an estimate on something you guys messed up?) and having the wife (who is an attorney) rewrite my response; we put the onus back on "Polestar" and stated that I did not agree to have a portion of my brand new car repainted and that a new bumper should be sent out to a local Volvo dealership (we have 2 in town). My reply was sent over the weekend and there has been no response back as of yet.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After a lengthy delay and many more calls to Manhattan, our new front bumper was finally installed two weeks ago and we then got it back to the detailer to get the PPF and ceramic coating on it. Just a simple 4 month process...

·
Registered
376 Posts
That sucks - especially since I am in the exact situation - confirmed with them numerous times about NOT installing a front license plate and then the car shows up at my home on delivery day with a front plate installed. I'm working directly with Polestar corporate customer support on a repair/replacement of the bumper. I'm not in a huge rush but it has been about 7 weeks since delivery that I've been trying to get it fixed.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
That sucks - especially since I am in the exact situation - confirmed with them numerous times about NOT installing a front license plate and then the car shows up at my home on delivery day with a front plate installed. I'm working directly with Polestar corporate customer support on a repair/replacement of the bumper. I'm not in a huge rush but it has been about 7 weeks since delivery that I've been trying to get it fixed.
I was really nervous about my experience because a lot of the initial orders here through Manhattan Motors weren't exactly smooth. Sucks to see they haven't gotten it together yet.

In CA we need the front plate, but the LA space had the paperwork ready for me to sign in case I didn't want them to drill the holes.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have full confidence in Polestar Corporate Customer Support fixing this issue.... eventually ;-). It's a shame how much that 5-minute screw-up at MM is costing thousands of dollars in support and repair. And worse yet - that they keep making the same screw-up.

Reactions: KRS

·
Registered
850 Posts
Same thing happened to me back in December when I picked up my car in Manhattan, and I ended up just taking it as-is. To be fair they never promised they would not drill the holes when I asked, and it was done at the port, not at the space/Volvo dealership. It could well have been done even before I asked for it not to be. I found (in my large collection of fasteners I've accumulated over the years) a couple of black hex-head bolts that exactly fit the holes and ran them in. It looks much better than empty holes so I think I'll just leave it this way. I know there are some paint-matched plugs that can be obtained but this was easy and free.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts