Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
That looks great! And while the blanking is obviously the headline feature, it looks like the headlights also follow the road on tight turns very well.

Does anyone know how crippled this feature will be in the USA? The website says that the dimming for oncoming traffic isn't available (because stupid laws), but will the turn-following work?

·
Registered
88 Posts
ABL (automatic bending lights) is a standard Volvo feature, so if Volvos have this in the US then I expect you will have it as well.

I have heard that US lighting laws forbid the automatic dip function before - is there are a valid reason for it?

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
Auto dipping is OK. Fancy matrix shadowing isn't. At least, that's my understanding.

Shouldn't be a problem tracking curves.

Reactions: joshuamj

·
Registered
30 Posts
That looks great! And while the blanking is obviously the headline feature, it looks like the headlights also follow the road on tight turns very well.

Does anyone know how crippled this feature will be in the USA? The website says that the dimming for oncoming traffic isn't available (because stupid laws), but will the turn-following work?
The “turn-following” lights work by illuminating the LED fog lamps as you turn the wheel. It does a great job and I’m sure that would be ok in the US.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Two different things. ABL used to be mechanical turning of the headlight lens (I suspect this is electronic steering now) and operates at any speed. The cornering lights only operate at low speed and are designed to illuminate the area to the side, for turning into a drive for example. As you say, these use the front fog lights. (This used to be done using a sideways facing bulb in the headlight cluster of my old XC60).

These are all great safety features and I am pleased they have been carried over to the PS2

·
Registered
88 Posts
The video by Bjorn shows just how much out of alignment my headlights are :) Must get onto my local Volvo garage to get them adjusted with winter coming on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Two different things. ABL used to be mechanical turning of the headlight lens (I suspect this is electronic steering now) and operates at any speed. The cornering lights only operate at low speed and are designed to illuminate the area to the side, for turning into a drive for example. As you say, these use the front fog lights. (This used to be done using a sideways facing bulb in the headlight cluster of my old XC60).

These are all great safety features and I am pleased they have been carried over to the PS2
Cool, another feature I didn’t know about. Not done much driving in unlit areas since I got the car. I’ll need to look out for that....

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am really bummed North America wont be getting these features, looks really cool! Maybe they will be a way for us to unlock?🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I am really bummed North America wont be getting these features, looks really cool! Maybe they will be a way for us to unlock?🤷‍♂️
This is a country where you use break lights as indicators instead of a separate light. Also you love your Junctions over roundabouts even though this saves lives and keeps traffic flowing, and extremely rarely does someone plough straight through a roundabout.

So yeah ... can't see it happening ... sorry. :(

Although you do allow people to turn right at a red light ... that is good!

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is a country where you use break lights as indicators instead of a separate light. Also you love your Junctions over roundabouts even though this saves lives and keeps traffic flowing, and extremely rarely does someone plough straight through a roundabout.

So yeah ... can't see it happening ... sorry. :(

Although you do allow people to turn right at a red light ... that is good!
Some cities don’t even allow right at red lights. Yes, we have some weird laws here

·
Registered
287 Posts
Some cities don’t even allow right at red lights. Yes, we have some weird laws here
Just to keep it sporty, some cities (e.g., San Francisco) allow left turn on red. Has to be at a one-way to one-way intersection though.

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
If our laws change, we should be able to get the pixel blanking via an OTA upgrade. But that's a big if.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here's the proposal from 2018 and it's stuck in red tape.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have the same dark band on my P3 as Bjorn shows in his video. About 15-20m in front. Anyone else noticed this? I'm not sure whether its a fault or a feature!

·
Super Moderator
677 Posts
I get so much deja vu reading the SpeakEV forum and this forum - the above question was asked by the same person in each, and then answered identically by the same person in each ;).

Reactions: toscal353

·
Registered
279 Posts
So I took delivery of my car today. So far so good, but with one minor glitch with the Matrix headlights. They were working great and then I got behind an Ambulance with high-vis reflective paint all the way up the back. The auto high beams seemed to keep getting confused and lit up the back super bright and then dimmed and back a few times. I backed off to try and help them out and then the ambulance pulled over into a layby. I was a bit slow on the take and only realised after I'd passed that they thought I was trying to flag them down and saw some angry flashing lights from them in the rearview mirror. :eek:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts