Polestar Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

Registered
Dual motor - Plus & Pilot
Michelin states they saw an average of 30 miles gained during testing. Remains to be seen.
Could you please tell the sources of these statements? Yes, Michelin states that the difference can be as great as 30 miles = benchmark is a tire with very poor rolling resistance. Based on user experiences, no one has noticed any effect on the range - when compared to other quality tires.
These are certainly high quality tires but not all of the manufacturer鈥檚 praise is worth taking literally.

Registered
My experience with Pilot A/S 3+ was a 10-15% hit on mileage on my eGolf so having an option for not much mileage hit and higher performance is a winner. I have consistently preferred Michelin.

Saying that, I like the Primacy summers on my car. The P*2 is a SM so it is meant for a more relaxed drive. It will be a tough choice when it is time to change tires.

Registered
P*2 LRDM, Snow, Pilot, Plus, 20" wheels (on order)
Have a watch of this video. Skip to 10 mins in where these low rolling resistance tyres designed for EVs are analysed. This suggests the downsides to these tyres are not outweighed by a huge increase in efficiency.

You might be better off with the Mucho Machos 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
Yeah, i must say the concept of EV specific tires does reek like a marketing excercise rather than fact. Are EVs really so different???
Also not sure how you'd make a tire low rolling resistant without compromised cornering grip. I'm hopeful these Michelins will be great but it's totally possible they'll be basically the same as regular tires but $59 more per corner

Registered
2022 Polestar 2 pilot, plus, performance, magnesium.
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yeah, i must say the concept of EV specific tires does reek like a marketing excercise rather than fact. Are EVs really so different???
Also not sure how you'd make a tire low rolling resistant without compromised cornering grip. I'm hopeful these Michelins will be great but it's totally possible they'll be basically the same as regular tires but $59 more per corner
Evs are far heavier then an ICE car and the instant torque they let out both cause tires to wear out far quicker then a normal ICE. Normal cars don't have to bring nearly 3 tons to a complete stop. It's inevitable that a tire on a EV will wear quicker then a tire on an ICE car. So ev dedicated tires will last longer, give more range, and be quieter. Its new technology so it will be awhile.

Registered
I love that Thunder, yeah!
Evs are far heavier then an ICE car and the instant torque they let out both cause tires to wear out far quicker then a normal ICE. Normal cars don't have to bring nearly 3 tons to a complete stop. It's inevitable that a tire on a EV will wear quicker then a tire on an ICE car.
Worth noting that a P*2 isn't close to 3 tons, or even close to 3 tonnes.

Registered
2022 Polestar 2 pilot, plus, performance, magnesium.
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Worth noting that a P*2 isn't close to 3 tons, or even close to 3 tonnes.
Polestar 2 is 4,650lbs close to 2.5 tons my bad, but there are suv ev that are heavier than that so yea. The mach-e is 2.5 tons. The ID 4 is close to 2.5 tons. The E-tron is 5,700 lbs close to 3 tons. So the comment wasn't directed at just the P2 but the entire community.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts