Polestar Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Great recap Mick and congrats! Does this fault part concern you and did it happen to you again since? Meanwhile I'll live vicariously through you while my car is "stuck in customs" according to James, despite being approved for financing for almost a month now. :cautious:

After a bit longer than 30 minutes, Jeff and James showed up and introduced themselves and then informed us that there had been a fault on the display and they wanted to clear it first and test drive it to be sure it was OK. Thus began a two hour additional wait.[ /QUOTE]

Reactions: Mick

·
Registered
811 Posts
Thanks Mick - greatly enjoyed reading about your adventure!!!

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks for the responses all! Yes, I did outline and then author the writeup in a doc first and then cut and pasted it into the thread. A long career in consulting helps with understanding the importance of draft/prep work before creating deliverable docs. :)

I hope you have many years of trouble free driving. Where’s the nearest service centre for you just in case?
Thanks! Unfortunately, for now the closest service center is where I picked up the car: New York! Let's hope more get opened. If they do open in Atlanta that would only be a 6 hour drive, not quite as bad. I'm just hoping Polestar US works out a service deal with Volvo North America, then I'd have one close by.

BTW, ALL cars are much less efficient at high speeds... We just don't pay attention in ICE cars.
True, but it seems much more pronounced in a BEV - it's all physics. Electric motors are at top efficiency at all speeds whereas ICE's have an extremely variable efficiency curve...that actually doesn't align to the power curve. So the "sweet spot" for efficiency has many more factors in an ICE vehicle whereas a BEV is simply aerodynamic resistance (drag), rolling resistance, and mechanical loss. BTW, I wonder if truckers will start disliking and actively discouraging BEV's tucked into their slipstream as there becomes more of us who understand the massive benefits of getting that tow.

Great recap Mick and congrats! Does this fault part concern you and did it happen to you again since? Meanwhile I'll live vicariously through you while my car is "stuck in customs" according to James, despite being approved for financing for almost a month now. :cautious:
I had no issues at all - it seemed the fault was something pretty minor. The only anomaly I saw on the trip is the infotainment system did a full restart at one point as I started to pull away from a charge...actually the last charge on the J1772 slow charger. The car did not stop and continued to drive normally, and the system recovered with it's state intact - even remembered where I was in my YT Music playlist. The only, possibly related, issue is now my online manual doesn't come up other than the first index page. It worked correctly in New York when I picked up the car.

·
Registered
California
706 Posts
BTW, ALL cars are much less efficient at high speeds... We just don't pay attention in ICE cars.
Also almost all BEVs lack multi-speed transmission! I imagine some day that engineering will be worked out. ZF has a two-speed one on the horizon, so there are good signs.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
3,059 Posts
The Porsche Taycan uses a two speed transmission for at least one of its motors to achieve good acceleration and then good economy and high top speed.

·
Registered
California
706 Posts
The Porsche Taycan uses a two speed transmission for at least one of its motors to achieve good acceleration and then good economy and high top speed.
From what I’ve read the Taycan’s first gear is typically only engaged in Sport mode(s). It’s otherwise mostly using the second gear most of the time. So I think they were aiming more for oomph than for the highway efficiency we’re talking about 😅

And, I think, rightfully so. I love that they overengineered the heck out of it to ensure they could beat the Model S in a straight line. There’s an extra little knife twist that they’ve shipped an EV transmission at all, given that Tesla spent a good few years failing to get a working transmission in the Roadster.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
From what I’ve read the Taycan’s first gear is typically only engaged in Sport mode(s). It’s otherwise mostly using the second gear most of the time. So I think they were aiming more for oomph than for the highway efficiency we’re talking about 😅

And, I think, rightfully so. I love that they overengineered the heck out of it to ensure they could beat the Model S in a straight line. There’s an extra little knife twist that they’ve shipped an EV transmission at all, given that Tesla spent a good few years failing to get a working transmission in the Roadster.
Rimac has gone back and forth on using transmissions and in the C_two they seem to be going with single gears for each of their 4 motors. Rimac says this is for reduced weight and improved efficiency; that they put in a lot of effort to get rid of the transmission (and hardware differentials!) for those reasons. Given Rimac consults for Porsche I wouldn’t be surprised if similar concepts come out in the next versions of the Taycan and other Porsche electric models.

the Mondays with Mate series is pretty great:

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
One more photo from today. Was vacuuming and replacing the floor mats in the shop and decided to photograph my last two new car purchases. 25 years apart. And I love them both. :D

·
Registered
641 Posts
One more photo from today. Was vacuuming and replacing the floor mats in the shop and decided to photograph my last two new car purchases. 25 years apart. And I love them both. :D
Sweet setup! Given some recent pics uploaded maybe we'll need a "what does your garage look like" thread soon!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi @Mick! Congratulations and thank you for sharing! I'm a bit new to the forum as I'm getting my bearings around here before I hopefully take delivery in a few days (fingers crossed). This was a great read and happy for you overall.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hi @Mick! Congratulations and thank you for sharing! I'm a bit new to the forum as I'm getting my bearings around here before I hopefully take delivery in a few days (fingers crossed). This was a great read and happy for you overall.
Thanks, @Thunderstruck (AC/DC fan? 😉 )! It was quite the epic adventure. The car is well worth it. I actually drove my wife and grandson to get drive-thru fast food tonight even though I didn't want any. Just so I could go out and drive. Hopefully you love your car as much as I do mine - I'm confident you will.

·
Registered
2021, P2, Midnight,19"
81 Posts

·
Registered
2021, P2, Midnight,19"
81 Posts
Great write up and detail of your experience. Sad that the EA experience wasn’t better on your maiden voyage. Hope that has changed now. My first EA experience, albeit days ago, was flawless on all 3 chargers I used

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Great write up and detail of your experience. Sad that the EA experience wasn’t better on your maiden voyage. Hope that has changed now. My first EA experience, albeit days ago, was flawless on all 3 chargers I used
Yes, the EA Signet charging issues seem to have been resolved. Needless to say, I learned a TON on this trip and also gained a lot of confidence that I could make this my every day car as well as reasonably road trip with it even though our EV infrastructure is still early days.

·
Registered
2021, P2, Midnight,19"
81 Posts
Yes, the EA Signet charging issues seem to have been resolved. Needless to say, I learned a TON on this trip and also gained a lot of confidence that I could make this my every day car as well as reasonably road trip with it even though our EV infrastructure is still early days.
As I said as well in my post about my recent road trip, range anxiety, NON Tesla charging infrastructure, became a non issue to me instantly. I have no doubt this car will continue to impress on a daily basis.
Glad they worked out those kinks.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts