Polestar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Firstly a big thanks to all of the active members on these forums, sharing their stories...whether these be good or bad experiences.

I recently cancelled a TM3 LR and placed my faith in the PS2. I read these forums daily and opted for this car due to the more premium feel and build quality that people have reported. I have not been lucky enough to get a test drive.

I am guessing I am 2-3 weeks to delivery so this is my time to back out or stay? My VIN is 008xx so will seemingly dodge some of the earlier issues. I remain concerned though about less than ideal range, software issues, missing items, some build quality issues etc....are we not in Tesla territory?

Finally for those that own and are currently using these cars in anger...am I right to be so concerned or just to chill?

·
Registered
107 Posts
The Polestar is just great to drive – it has power and grip In bucketfuls. The tech is genuinely interesting – I’ve just got my head round Google and Spotify, and now I’ve downloaded Google Maps to my phone it’s easy to send destinations to the car. The interior is spare and modern with some nice materials – you could call it spartan luxury.

It’s not dissimilar to the Porsche recipe – the emphasis on power and handling, together with adequate comfort. The comparison with Tesla might be TVR – in other words fast and brash but with uneven quality.

Just to get some triangulation, I’ve just been reading some of the XC 40 recharge P8 reviews out this morning. This is the Volvo sister car to the Polestar – a P2 in a bigger frock, if you will - the drivetrain, suspension and tech are the same. The drive and comfort get high scores - Top Gear rates it 9/10.

·
Registered
112 Posts
are we not in Tesla territory?
Tesla territory would be "no recall".

The list of serious known problems not handled by Tesla is scary :
Model S MCU ticking bomb that is bound to fail someday (eMMC failure).
Model Y control arm missing nuts.
Model 3 weak paint problems.
Model 3 rear bumper is a water reservoir.
Shutdowns while driving.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Remember that reading all the social media comments & checking in on this forum gives a skewed and magnified version of any issues.
All cars over the decades will have had their problems. Now we have the ability to hear about
every
single
one
instantly.
This car won’t be as amazing as the most favourable review, but certainly nowhere near as terrible as the worst. Follow your gut

·
Registered
253 Posts
The Polestar is just great to drive – it has power and grip In bucketfuls. The tech is genuinely interesting – I’ve just got my head round Google and Spotify, and now I’ve downloaded Google Maps to my phone it’s easy to send destinations to the car. The interior is spare and modern with some nice materials – you could call it Spartan luxury.

It’s not dissimilar to the Porsche recipe – the emphasis on power and handling, together with adequate comfort. The comparison with Tesla might be TVR – in other words fast and brash but with uneven quality.

Just to get some triangulation, I’ve just been reading some of the XC 40 recharge P8 reviews out this morning. This is the Volvo sister car to the Polestar – a P2 in a bigger frock, if you will - the drivetrain, suspension and tech are the same. The the drive and comfort get high scores - Top Gear rates it 9/10.
This. If you're going to be driving 250+ miles all the time, then maybe Tesla is better for you, but make sure there are convenient Superchargers where you need them.

I've only had my P*2 for 3 days now, but it ticks all the boxes. Had no issues with the newest software version. Charged it on instavolt and granny charger. Very happy with it. The scary headlines and spiralling social media posts are in my personal experience just amplification of the 5% and I think it's a shame people might miss out on this great car because of some initial teething issues.

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the feedback, views and opinions. It’s easy to get wrapped up in some of the negative stuff so I do take the point re issue magnification. I do remain excited about the car but just had that blip after reading a few posts last night.

I’ve just seen Polestars YouTube update on an almost identical car to mine and this has reduced some of the fears. In a few weeks time I can do my own formal review.

Reactions: rgledhill

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't think that buying a Tesla is the answer if you're looking to avoid having a problematic car; that's an automotive Sophie's Choice. So to reframe your decision-making process, you should probably be considering whether there are other non-Tesla BEVs available that are appealing and affordable to you right now, and if not, whether you want to take a chance on the Polestar 2 or wait for the overall EV market to mature a bit more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts