·
Registered
2021 Snow PP, Barley Leather Int., Tow Package
348 Posts

·
Registered
2022 LRSM Thunder/Slate/Plus/Hitch
2,042 Posts
Any, solid state battery would actually be better than what we have now … there are tons of lab scale examples. But I have yet to read at least a validated use case in an actual car mule. Once any of the major OEMs comes up with one, than it will be off to scaled manufacturing challenge.

I also find the writer strangely mentioning that there are 37% of people without an access to an overnight plug … yet there are 63% of population who do, yet EV penetration is what 2-3% …. In another words there are many other issues, but access to plug is clearly not one of them yet. The cost is … so solid state or not, if they cannot scale it much cheaper than Lithium based stuff, it will not move the needle the way the author assumes so.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
so solid state or not, if they cannot scale it much cheaper than Lithium based stuff, it will not move the needle the way the author assumes so.
The needle can be forcefully moved by legislation like in UK where sales of new ICE will be banned from 2030 something.

The other thing is lack of used EVs as majority only buy used vehicles as they are also rare used prices are higher once more come on market it will make an impact for those who buy used and are able to afford them providing the battery packs are healthy enough to last another 5 years.

·
Registered
10,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The needle can be forcefully moved by legislation like in UK where sales of new ICE will be banned from 2030 something.
California has already done this, and other states are likely to follow.

providing the battery packs are healthy enough to last another 5 years.
This has already been demonstrated with Teslas lasting we'll past the warranty period.

·
Registered
2022 LRSM Thunder/Slate/Plus/Hitch
2,042 Posts
In my view, the needle is moved when the ordinary Joe can buy affordable vehicle of their preferred format without worrying where to charge or for how long. Policies never move a needle on its own, they just create environment for things to happen. So it’s all about future costs and specs of the cells/batteries. If the cost is not there, it can charge in 30s to full, and it will not matter, because very few will be able to afford it.

·
Registered
2022 Polestar 2 LRSM, pilot + plus
138 Posts
Good news for future EV buyers. Bad news for the future value of our current Polestars 😂.
It will be at least a few years until this can actually be implemented in cars on production lines.
If we can’t upgrade our current P*2 battery to solid state at a reasonable cost, then I guess I will just drive mine into the ground 😂

·
Registered
190 Posts
Exactly. "....Adden Energy hopes to have a full-size battery within three to five years." The emphasis is on "hopes." And then they have to be developed into a reliable and safe mass produced commodity.
That said, I'd be thrilled to have an aftermarket industry develop ins time for when our batteries start to poop out.

·
Registered
2021 P2, Magnesium/Charcoal, non-pp, 19"
233 Posts
The Ioniq 5 is one of the fastest charging electric cars on the market thanks to its 800V charger compatibility and that means it can charge from 10-80 per cent in about 18 minutes using a super-fast 350kW DC charger.
In that example you need a 1400kW charger to get the Ioniq 5 from 10-80 per cent in about 4,5 minutes, so I guess they need a lot higher voltage than 800V, and you probably need one of the new modular nuclear plants next to the charging station to power it 😊

1 - 15 of 15 Posts