Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I've seen the treads asking technical comparisons of both for people transitioning from other services. My question is much more basic... Given that the car doesn't have Sirius/XM (been a subscriber for a LONG time), I need to sign up for either YouTube Music or Spotify (would sign up for either paid version). Which one is better-integrated into Android Automotive and thus works more seamlessly in the Polestar 2's infotainment system? I would presume that YT Music, being a Google product, would be better integrated, but Spotify is the more popular service and the one that is mentioned more often.

So... which one to get specifically for music in the Polestar 2, or are they so closely matched that it doesn't matter?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yeah, I've seen the treads asking technical comparisons of both for people transitioning from other services. My question is much more basic... Given that the car doesn't have Sirius/XM (been a subscriber for a LONG time), I need to sign up for either YouTube Music or Spotify (would sign up for either paid version). Which one is better-integrated into Android Automotive and thus works more seamlessly in the Polestar 2's infotainment system? I would presume that YT Music, being a Google product, would be better integrated, but Spotify is the more popular service and the one that is mentioned more often.

So... which one to get specifically for music in the Polestar 2, or are they so closely matched that it doesn't matter?
Spotify is a better service in the car and overall outside the car as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I was hoping that there was no benefit to either because YouTube Premium includes both ad-free videos and the premium music; and I wanted the ad-free youtube video, too.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If you only want to listen to music you already own, you can upload that to YTM and listen to it for free - that's what I'm currently doing until Apple Music hopefully gets supported by Android Automotive (c'mon Apple!)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Streaming is OK for now (until CarPlay and/or the Apple Music APP is available). Until then, I would like to al least be able to easily request music by voice, navigate music (playlists, searches, etc.) and see the "now playing" album art and music info on the Infotainment, etc.. I'm sure both YTM and Spotify do that, but figured that YTM would be a tad more baked in due to the Google ownership.

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
I have no experience with YouTube Music, but Spotify works great and I've been enjoying searching for old albums I remember from my youth and college years. (Unfortunately, many of those old albums were fantastic as I remembered them, but not quite so good listening to them for the first time in decades.)

The one quibble I have with Spotify, and this is based on conjecture, not known facts, it seems that when you ask for some old tune by some artist, Spotify will default to a live version or such if it exists, but not the original version that became a hit. I speculate this is a way to save on fees for them. The original tunes are there, but sometimes you have to search a bit to find them or be very specific about how to ask for them.

I dropped Pandora and got Spotify premium when I got the car. I can now say that I much prefer Spotify. It's been great. And I do almost all of my requests via voice commands and I've been impressed about how well Google figures out what I'm saying.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Streaming is OK for now (until CarPlay and/or the Apple Music APP is available). Until then, I would like to al least be able to easily request music by voice, navigate music (playlists, searches, etc.) and see the "now playing" album art and music info on the Infotainment, etc.. I'm sure both YTM and Spotify do that, but figured that YTM would be a tad more baked in due to the Google ownership.
I wouldn't assume YTM would be better because it's owned by Google. Apple is a bit better (or worse, depending on your perspective) at tightly integrating services and keeping some functionality to themselves to improve user experience. Google apps tend to be constrained by the same rules as other third parties, with a few exceptions (like system apps).

Pick the service you prefer and has the artists and songs you like. I think both have free options you can try out.

Reactions: gadgeTT

·
Registered
621 Posts
I use YT Music and it works well for me for the most part, but I still miss Google Play Music - it actually worked much better for me. I don't know why Google kills some of their best stuff.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Is there a difference between quality, YTM vs Spotify? I use Spotify but my son use the same account.
If both are installed, which one will Google use when you ask for music?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Is there a difference between quality, YTM vs Spotify? I use Spotify but my son use the same account.
If both are installed, which one will Google use when you ask for music?
You can set a preferred option in the assistant settings, you can also specify the service in the voice command.

I don't know if you can set the music default from the car, you can do it using the Google Home app on your phone though.

Reactions: Omaniac

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
And you can specify the quality of the Spotify music in the settings. I put it on high and it sounds great to me. On older music, I'd say there's little difference due to the quality of the source recordings.

Reactions: Joel S.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I use YT Music, I already had a YT Premium account as I watch quite a lot of YouTube videos and I ended up realising that I'd rather pay for no ads than have my time wasted watching ads.... Its what they want of course, but that's how it is.

I set the highest quality as soon as I got the car and it sounds just fine to me.

Haven't tried the Spotify app but I've always been able find what I want in YT anyway.

·
Registered
720 Posts
And you can specify the quality of the Spotify music in the settings. I put it on high and it sounds great to me. On older music, I'd say there's little difference due to the quality of the source recordings.
For some reason this reminded me that I really need to get a record player for my collection...

I wonder if they've begun re-encoding any of the old recordings considering the increased number of higher quality streaming services out there. Did that with HD/4K, and some older movies shot on film do look pretty great.

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For some reason this reminded me that I really need to get a record player for my collection...

I wonder if they've begun re-encoding any of the old recordings considering the increased number of higher quality streaming services out there. Did that with HD/4K, and some older movies shot on film do look pretty great.
Totally OT, but FWIW, film (optical) is higher resolution than UHD/4k ;-). A good transfer of an old movie from film stock can look better than a more recent film shot on a lower-resolution digital format.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Totally OT, but FWIW, film (optical) is higher resolution than UHD/4k ;-). A good transfer of an old movie from film stock can look better than a more recent film shot on a lower-resolution digital format.
Yup, just like analog audio recordings are higher "resolution" than even high bitrate "master" digital recordings.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,085 Posts
I'm still on free Spotify and can use it well in the car. YT seems to require Premium service to be usable in the car in the US, as far as I can tell. So might as well try out Spotify since it's free (just set codec to highest quality as default) and if you like it can pay for the premium features?
Oddly, even with google so heavily integrated, the car seems to be built more around Spotify than YT

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is there an audio quality difference b/w the platforms tho? I'd like as hi res as possible, so I guess Tidal is best?
I tried Tidal twice (separated by about a year) and found that their catalog is heavily skewed to recent music. Their sound quality was great by I, personally, prefer New Wave (80's electronic) and that was not as prevalent in their catalog.

Reactions: gypsymoth

·
Registered
69 Posts
I tried Tidal twice (separated by about a year) and found that their catalog is heavily skewed to recent music. Their sound quality was great by I, personally, prefer New Wave (80's electronic) and that was not as prevalent in their catalog.
Cheers - yeah I sense Tidal wont be heavy on the detroit techno, jazz fusion or psych-rock I enjoy!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Tidal hasn't been great in the car for me. It doesn't do a good job of handling the fact the infotainment boots without an internet connection, just says "error playing" until I completely close the app and re-open it. So I switched to using Spotify in the car.

I haven't checked to see if they've fixed the issue recently, to be fair.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts