Polestar Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah, I've seen the treads asking technical comparisons of both for people transitioning from other services. My question is much more basic... Given that the car doesn't have Sirius/XM (been a subscriber for a LONG time), I need to sign up for either YouTube Music or Spotify (would sign up for either paid version). Which one is better-integrated into Android Automotive and thus works more seamlessly in the Polestar 2's infotainment system? I would presume that YT Music, being a Google product, would be better integrated, but Spotify is the more popular service and the one that is mentioned more often.

So... which one to get specifically for music in the Polestar 2, or are they so closely matched that it doesn't matter?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I decided to stay with Spotify. Better sound quality and a better selection of older music. Bought a duo membership so I don’t mix up my listening with my sons.

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Midnight, no PP
8 Posts
I already had a YT premium membership before getting my car so I just used that, but there are a few noticeable annoying “features” of the car app compared to the mobile app:
  • If you tap on an album or playlist, it starts playing automatically. I sometimes would just like to see the list of tracks to choose one, which doesn’t seem to be possible.
  • If you play an album or playlist with more than x tracks in it, where x is a number I haven’t worked out exactly but is definitely less than 20, it only plays the first x tracks
  • After finishing playing a track, album or playlist you selected, it automatically starts playing random suggested tracks. This is especially annoying when combined with the previous point - I have a carefully curated playlist of music more than long enough to cover my longest trips, but it doesn’t play it all and instead starts playing random stuff part way through.
This may all get fixed in future app updates of course, but it is strange that it behaves so differently to the mobile app.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I got my car yesterday and tried the music apps. I am profoundly disappointed by the user experience.

In my V60,
  • I have a small selection of albums handpicked for driving, on a USB stick.
  • My files all contain the right album cover image and meta tags.
  • I can select an album by scrolling with the thumbwheel
  • At any time, I can press exit and select a new album
  • Everything can be done with both hands on the wheel.

In the Polestar 2,
  • YouTube Music contains my entire library, scrolling through it is ridiculous, impossible
  • Album covers and tagging have been mangled in the transfer
  • Impossible to select an album without touching the screen, the up and down buttons control the volume (wtf?)
  • Voice recognition is useless to select an album

Music is a really big downside of this car for me, at the moment.

·
Registered
P2 Snow non-PP w/tow hook
49 Posts
In that regard, I can see the frustration, I think the focus here has been on people like me who have gone all-in on music streaming as their one and only way of listening to music, with that, people like you got forgotten or not catered to.

Spotify, in my experience, works well, I can use voice commands to get the playlists I want, and can generally get the songs I want (except for eg. "The Hu" as a band, which google mistakenly understand as "The Who")

·
Registered
293 Posts
In that regard, I can see the frustration, I think the focus here has been on people like me who have gone all-in on music streaming as their one and only way of listening to music, with that, people like you got forgotten or not catered to.

Spotify, in my experience, works well, I can use voice commands to get the playlists I want, and can generally get the songs I want (except for eg. "The Hu" as a band, which google mistakenly understand as "The Who")
Same here, I had the free spotify for about 3 days until I worked out it only played a couple of album tracks and there was limited options and lots of adverts. Went for a 3 month trial and was sold after the first 3 hour drive! :)

Had no trouble with my globe trotting accent (Born in Hull, spent 6 years in Sunderland, then 9 years in Australia) and hey google finding both the artist and album I wanted them to play. Sound quality is good to my ears (on the highest fidelity setting) and haven't had any problems finding artists and albums.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Same here, I had the free spotify for about 3 days until I worked out it only played a couple of album tracks and there was limited options and lots of adverts. Went for a 3 month trial and was sold after the first 3 hour drive! :)
Based on my experience I think what it does is inject other tracks into the album you have chosen to play, and annoyingly it always injects a couple at the beginning. It does play the full album eventually, but does seem to add other "stuff" in that they think you might like. I have been using it on a free account forever but in more anger since I got my P* in January. I have to say my listening MO has more and more turned into listening to suggested playlists, but I have hardly done any long journeys, if I do I probably will BT from my phone as I am not sufficiently bothered by the way it works to pay the fee. My son also suggested to me that the free account only gets a limited number of skips a day, can't say I have experienced that so far, but maybe I haven't kipped enough. It has actually got me using it on my home SONOS system also and on the TV, something I never did before.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Sorry, I just can't find any argument to justify paying 10$ a month to listen to 17000$+ worth of music I already own and paid for.
I got my car yesterday and tried the music apps. I am profoundly disappointed by the user experience.

In my V60,
  • I have a small selection of albums handpicked for driving, on a USB stick.
  • My files all contain the right album cover image and meta tags.
  • I can select an album by scrolling with the thumbwheel
  • At any time, I can press exit and select a new album
  • Everything can be done with both hands on the wheel.

In the Polestar 2,
  • YouTube Music contains my entire library, scrolling through it is ridiculous, impossible
  • Album covers and tagging have been mangled in the transfer
  • Impossible to select an album without touching the screen, the up and down buttons control the volume (wtf?)
  • Voice recognition is useless to select an album

Music is a really big downside of this car for me, at the moment.
Why I cautioned against believing YT Music would be better than Spotify because it's "first party."

My collection is in YT, but I primarily use Spotify. The selling point for me is I like to discover new music, and my music moods change, so I enjoy the daily/weekly playlists. I'm going to tinker with YT out of curiosity.

They need a media player, wild it's taken this long.

Reactions: polerad

·
Registered
P2 Snow non-PP w/tow hook
49 Posts
Sorry, I just can't find any argument to justify paying 10$ a month to listen to 17000$+ worth of music I already own and paid for.
If you got a smartphone, use that in the meantime, it's sub-par, but at least you'll get to use your collection

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Polestar just delivered a car for me to test drive for the weekend. So far, it's awesome! I'm a complete RTFM freak, so I'm also reading the documents that were left in the glove box of the test car. There's a card in there announcing that the SiriusXM app is coming soon! The main reason I started this thread was to investigate alternatives since SXM was not available. While I'll probably continue using either YTM or Spotify at least until SXM is available, it's great to know that I'll soon be able to just use my existing SXM subscription.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have a couple of massive YT Music playlists also and have all my music ripped and uploaded - was originally to Google Play Music (which I really miss!) but is now transferred to YTM. I also have the same "first handful of songs" issue with a large playlist, and as I'll often shuffle it, it only shuffles those first few songs. A royal PITA. I can sort of work around it by pulling up the queue, jumping to the last song, then hitting the next button and it will load a handful more. If I do this enough times it will eventually get the entire playlist in memory. An awful workaround so I find I end up asking the Assistant to just play by genre and it will pick a decent playlist typically.

But for me I would like to see two improvements: YTM handling large playlists properly, and activation of a USB port for media playing from a USB device. I hope the port with the circle around it is wired properly to be a data device for the infotainment system, but I've never heard a confirmation one way or the other.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,085 Posts
I have a couple of massive YT Music playlists also and have all my music ripped and uploaded - was originally to Google Play Music (which I really miss!) but is now transferred to YTM. I also have the same "first handful of songs" issue with a large playlist, and as I'll often shuffle it, it only shuffles those first few songs. A royal PITA. I can sort of work around it by pulling up the queue, jumping to the last song, then hitting the next button and it will load a handful more. If I do this enough times it will eventually get the entire playlist in memory. An awful workaround so I find I end up asking the Assistant to just play by genre and it will pick a decent playlist typically.

But for me I would like to see two improvements: YTM handling large playlists properly, and activation of a USB port for media playing from a USB device. I hope the port with the circle around it is wired properly to be a data device for the infotainment system, but I've never heard a confirmation one way or the other.
IIRC @stevelup saw evidence that the circled port indeed looked wired differently to maybe indicate it could do data xfer?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts