Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this was interesting. We have permanent magnet electric motors. 'Turns out, they're the right ones to have with efficiencies above 90%.

Our practical range (90% to 10% of battery use) is turning out to be about 150 miles in winter, right? So that's about (150 miles)/0.8(72 kWh) = 2.6 miles/kWh give or take. (I'm using 72 kWh as a guess as to what Polestar engineers decided to use as the useable battery. I hope to determine this myself soon.)

Contrast this with gasoline. 1 gallon of gasoline yields about 33 kWh of energy. My last car got about 28 miles per gallon. (28 miles/gallon)/(33 kWh/gallon) = 0.85 miles/kWh.

Where did all that wasted energy go? Lots of heat directly from combustion and lots of heat from friction and hundreds of moving parts.

And, of course, we do get some energy back when braking whereas ICE cars lose all of that kinetic energy in rotor heat and pad wear.

Registered
It is no surprise that Tesla cars do their best not to turn on the async induction motor. But when they do turn them on, for example, on winding hilly roads, hard acceleration, to produce heat for the battery and when rear wheels have poor traction, energy consumption goes up substantially. I noticed it during my test drive of Model 3 when I took it for a spin on some hills, and is also supported by both physics and independent evaluation by motor journalists.

Registered
I can get 200(ish) miles in 0-1deg C and I now think the battery is 75kWh usable based on DC & AC charging % kWH delivered etc... but still an educated guess.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can get 200(ish) miles in 0-1deg C and I now think the battery is 75kWh usable based on DC & AC charging % kWH delivered etc... but still an educated guess.
The bottom line is that, in addition to lots of other benefits, in winter, our BEVs use about 1/3 the energy of an ICE vehicle to get from here to there. In summer, I'm thinking it will be more like 1/4. I guess I've done a rudimentary MPGe calculation. Here's the tag for my car...

3x(28 mpg) = 84... 4x(28 mpg) = 112... so the official number of 92 MPGe for the Polestar 2 matches my calculation pretty well.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well whaddaya know? I scanned that QR code and it came up as a 2021 Volvo S60 AWD PHEV, but the numbers that come up for that vehicle don't match the numbers on this sticker. Should I be surprised?

Here's the full sticker. 'Might be interesting for our European brethren to see.

Reactions: Terran

Registered
The bottom line is that, in addition to lots of other benefits, in winter, our BEVs use about 1/3 the energy of an ICE vehicle to get from here to there. In summer, I'm thinking it will be more like 1/4. I guess I've done a rudimentary MPGe calculation. Here's the tag for my car...
Dude, I wasn't arguing or disputing you ;-)

Reactions: ProfessorCook

Registered
magnesium/slate/19"/tow/18xxx
On the 'where are the motors made' discussion... If the motors are branded Valeo-Siemens, aren't they German regardless of where they are assembled?

Registered
The Polestar 2 is designed in Sweden by Polestar and manufactured in China.
The iPhone is designed in California by Apple and manufactured in China.

Dare I say that we're typing these messages on a Chinese smartphone?

Registered
The Polestar 2 is designed in Sweden by Polestar and manufactured in China.
The iPhone is designed in California by Apple and manufactured in China.

Dare I say that we're typing these messages on a Chinese smartphone?
I get your point, but there is a slight difference in that Apple is American owned, whilst polestar is Chinese owned. The owners can have a strong influence in the way a company is run so the apple/polestar comparison isn't quite apples for apples.

Practically though, you are right, design and development is here in Gothenburg with a heavy influence from Volvo culture. Most of the car is actually developed by Volvo engineers employed by Volvo who are developing features and ECUs which are common to both brands.

From a quality perspective, I couldn't care less that the car is Chinese made. Yes china has a reputation for low quality goods, but they are perfectly capable of operating high quality production too. Just look at the American vs Chinese Teslas, Far fewer problems with the Chinese ones.

Registered
Fully agree @Snood
  • investors and shareholders have a heavy influence on a company, it really depends on how and on what they want to exert it. In case of Geely influencing Volvo, it turned out to make Volvo blossom and become a growing premium brand. competing with the German triumvirate now. So when it comes to Chinese ownership I agree and am even glad it's Geely in this case.
  • development: I think we will be pleasantly surprised that there is a level of internal competition to develop features, e.g. on the AAOS platform. I rest assured that a few juxtapositions will quickly lead to fantastic products for both brands
  • quality: resting assured as well. Look at how it went with Japan. At first we laughed at them, now we learn from them when it comes to quality & design. If Chinese culture wants it, they will get there, if it isn't already the case.

Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
Heated windscreen wipers? Now that's cool :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts