Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking into charging networks, and how to charge sensibly on the move without paying through the nose. (Yes, I'm a Yorkshireman)

Looking at IONITY, you can pay by mobile app at 0.69 GBP / kWh or with a RFID issued via your Mobility Service Provider.

There's
  1. PolarPlus (BP Charge Master)
  2. InstaVolt
  3. IONITY
  4. ECOTRICTY
  5. Shell EV Charging
Not come across a MSP in the UK, anyone got any ideas or experience with charging networks?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You do get access to plugsurfing by default as part of the P*2 purchase, however its not that cheap as it uses the networks above and adds its own surcharge...
Ah ok, just checked the IONITY Rapid Charger charge rates in Cornwall, and they are 0.92 GBP Per kWh so nice little margin there!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ah ok, just checked the IONITY Rapid Charger charge rates in Cornwall, and they are 0.92 GBP Per kWh so nice little margin there!
yep, I'm going for a PodPoint home charger as they have a decent network of 7KW chargers which you can use for free, so I'm hoping to be able to use them most of the time, if I can leave the car there for a few hours...

·
Super Moderator
677 Posts
Ionity are for desperate charging only! Fast but very pricey and very often out of service.
InstaVolt are far and away the most reliable and quite reasonable at about 35p/kWh.
Ecotricity are to be avoided at all costs as their chargers are largely ancient and unreliable.
Shell EV Recharge are quite pricey but very quick and very reliable.
PolarPlus / BP Chargemaster are somewhat inconsistent - good ones seem reliable and they are rolling out 150kW chargers and most now have contactless; however they are poor at fixing ones that break down regularly or cannot get reliable network reception for payments.
Engenie have been reliable.

Hope this helps! It's based on my own experiences, reading the feedback on ZapMap, and hearing what others are saying from the last few years with my Kona (same CCS charging).

·
Registered
196 Posts
I recommend downloading the Zap map App. Seems to list all charging points. Just click on any you want to find out about. They give you cost, availability, provider and run you through the process for each. I have downloaded the following apps. Podpoint. Chargepoint. Shell Recharge.
I have used 50kw by CCS connector with Instavolt (Chargepoint). They take an up front payment of £10. Worked fine 35p kw. Max charge rate was only 40kw however.
Podpoint seem to have a lot of untethered 7kw chargers at shopping outlets. The P2 cable will only allow 3.7kw due to the 16amp rating.
Rgldhill covers the same points really! 😇

·
Super Moderator
677 Posts
I'd uninstall the Chargepoint app as it "grabs" the charge payment for Instavolt. If you uninstall it, you can pay at InstaVolt chargers using contactless on your phone. In any case you can use a credit card or debit card on InstaVolt - no need for any up-front payment nonsense.
InstaVolt chargers will charge as fast as the car is able, up to about 49kW (had 47kW or better on the Kona every time) - remember the car sets the charge limit and that dips below 50kW at higher states of charge. There are a few newer InstaVolt chargers which offer up to 125kW (up to max the car will take).
Generally my advice is steer clear of anything that requires up-front payment on an account; then avoid any that require apps if possible.

·
Super Moderator
677 Posts
Which is why I'm going for an untethered home charging point and investing £150 in a 32A 3phase cable to cover all possible options :)
We will take the Type 2 cable that came with the wife's Zoe, as that will do up to 22kW, so has capacity to spare :)

Reactions: AngloDude

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, just to confirm then. People avoid the Plugsurfing option as it's just more expensive?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks, just to confirm then. People avoid the Plugsurfing option as it's just more expensive?
Yep, seems to be between 18 and 25p per Kwh more for the pleasure of using their app. Might be different on the continent as they seem to be much more widespread over there and have their own network

·
Registered
582 Posts
Question for those with cars that actually recommend charging points en-route when necessary (mine doesn't) -
Does the car display 'all' chargers, or only those who (for example) are affiliated to the map/route provider, and can you limit that display to, for example, only show Rapids?

·
Registered
274 Posts
The car lists all chargers and no, you can't filter. Neither on charging speed, nor on network.

BTW, 50kW chargers are listed as fast :rolleyes: And IIRC, 11kW as medium.

·
Super Moderator
677 Posts
It's also worth knowing that Octopus Energy are offering a new RFID card that covers 6 providers (I forget which ones, sorry) and they simply add it to your electricity bill which is great! I have one but not had chance to use it yet as it's so new, plus I basically only ever bother using Instavolts...

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'd uninstall the Chargepoint app as it "grabs" the charge payment for Instavolt. If you uninstall it, you can pay at InstaVolt chargers using contactless on your phone. In any case you can use a credit card or debit card on InstaVolt - no need for any up-front payment nonsense.
Well, I went contrary to this advice because, in the absence of the actual Polestar app, using the Chargepoint app means you can remotely check on the charge and you get a little graph showing the charge history. I thought, on balance, it was only a tenner and I'll use it at some point.

·
Super Moderator
677 Posts
A fair point. I have an old Android phone which I leave in the car for the few occasions I charge it while out and about. It runs EVNotify, connected to an OBDII dongle, which uploads lots of information to the EVNotify server for me to access via the same app running on my phone. This means I can get lots of charging details irrespective of where I am, including battery temperatures and so on as well. I also get full charge logs and lots more. And it's free!

... and not available on the Polestar 2 yet :( So when I get the Polestar I might yet do what you've described, as I hadn't realised the Chargepoint app gives you remote status like that. Thanks (y)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yeah, it's really nice - shows kW in real time and plots it against a graph. Worth a tenner - it's not like you 'lose' the tenner anyway.

·
Super Moderator
677 Posts
That depends how often you charge! I've only rapid-charged three times in the last 12 months, though to be fair the total cost was probably £25 or so. I just have a pathological dislike of companies that sit on my cash...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts