Polestar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the DK is (mostly) working, I got thinking about how, in general, the car behaves when multiple keys are in range or in the car. What does the car do if two "keys" are found? Which one takes priority (and thus loads a profile, etc.)? Does one need to be physically shielded (foil or RFID-safe bag, etc.) to prevent a collision of keys?

For example, I have a profile in the car and a "key" linked to that profile with all of my settings. If I'm going to Valet my car or take it in for service, I might have that one key fob on me and hand that fob to the dealer/service or valet. But, I instead might want to have a second fob that is linked to a "guest" profile and hand that guest fob to the service/valet so that if they mess with any settings, it doesn't impact my profile.

Or now that the DK is (mostly) working, I would never want to give my phone to the service/valet person so I would need to bring a key fob with me to provide to that person and thus keep my phone with me.

In either case (phone with a guest fob or 1 primary and 1 guest fob), what happens when those 2 keys are detected and which one takes priority to drive the car and set the active profile? What happens to that second key once the first one is used to unlock and drive the car?

I did RTFM and found some information about what profile is made active if the key detected is not linked to a profile (Admin profile or the last-used), but it's not easy finding information about the multiple keys question. I apologize for the forum spam(tm) if this was answered before or I missed it in the manual.

Registered
The physical keys have very low range so the car doesn't seem to get confused easily which key is being used when the driver's door is opened, unless the other physical key is also super close (in which case it does get confused). The digital key has a higher range than physical keys but even then, my experience is that the car is able to mostly figure out which key is next to the car when the driver's door is opened. In the latter case, I have noticed some instances of confusion where the car loaded the wrong profile but haven't been able to figure out the exact root cause of that.

Registered
I drove around with my phone and all 3 keys the other day, no issues. lol, I drove home when I picked up the car with all three keys, so...

Probably worth posing the question to Polestar in the group. How does the car know which key is the "driver" if multiple keys are in the car.

Registered
The Key that is closest to the drivers door when the car is unlocked takes priority.

Reactions: ProfessorCook

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Key that is closest to the drivers door when the car is unlocked takes priority.
Since the "closest" aspect is probably determined by radio signal strength between the car and the key, there is no way to predicting which "key" (fob or phone) is recognized as "closest." I recall there being an indication in the car to say "Key fob 1" or "Bob's Phone" was the recognized "primary" key, either.

Registered
2021 P2 PP Snow
Negative. No matter who鈥檚 closer to driver side the car seem to always prefer my wife鈥檚 key and profile. It s been like that since day one. I haven鈥檛 tried DK yet.

Registered
They answered his question in the group:

"The car will always pay attention to the key fob before your Digital Key (beta). If you鈥檝e got two key fobs with you that are connected to different profiles, the key that was used latest will be detected first."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts