Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

Registered
2021 Swedish Blue/Leather/Tow/19"
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rear ended by a 2003 BMW 745 at a traffic light. My wife was stopped on a red. And of course his insurance expired 6days ago. Wife seems to be ok. Just shaken up a bit, no injuries thanks to Volvo safety.

Doesnt look like much damage. But was a hard hit. My tow hitch is screwed, extends half way and wont retract. Collision center says needs replacement. Question is whether any of the mounting on the frame is damaged.
Top of bumper popped out a bit.
Bottom black part of bumper needs replacement and who know what else will be found when they get into it.
The Volvo certified collision center said parts and prices arent even available yet.

and on my uninsured motorist coverage w

The beemer鈥檚 airbags didnt go off so i assume was previously wrecked. And he broke my Ohio State Buckeyes frames. 馃が
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive tire Grille
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Grille Bumper
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting Grille

Automotive parking light Hood Car Automotive lighting Grille

Registered
Replacement parts should be a quick order from Gothenburg. I got mine repaired with all new parts and respray in 5 days last december.

Did the rear-end crash protection system kick in?

Registered
In the country I grew up in an accidents involving the tow hitch are sometimes considered high severity since there is a good chance the chassis was affected

Registered
2021 P2, Magnesium/Charcoal, non-pp, 19"
And of course his insurance expired 6days ago.
I don't know how it's other places, but if that happened to me here in Norway, my insurance would cover all repairs, and the insurance company would claim it all back from the other driver.

Registered
Ordered MY 2022 on Friday 13th of August! Long Range Dual-Motor, Snow/Nappa, Pilot, Plus, Tow hitch
..."And of course his insurance expired 6days ago. "

...shouldn't that be a court case?

Registered
Unless he agrees to cover the expenses himself I guess, the police is something else though

Registered
2021 Moon Non-PP 20", Charcoal, Towbar VIN XX6XXX
Sam, that sucks. Lots of uninsured drivers here in CO. Probably everywhere else too. But seems every 6 months with auto ins renewals, my agent keeps saying higher percentage of accidents with un- or underinsured explains any price hikes...

Speedy recovery to your Swedish Blue beauty...

Registered
2021 P2, Magnesium/Charcoal, non-pp, 19"
In Norway they started 3 years ago to fine those without insurance with 150 nok, about $17.3, per day, so it adds up to a lot more than insurance cost quite fast, but still about 0.7% of drivers are without insurance here.

Registered
Rear ended by a 2003 BMW 745 at a traffic light. My wife was stopped on a red. And of course his insurance expired 6days ago. Wife seems to be ok. Just shaken up a bit, no injuries thanks to Volvo safety.

Doesnt look like much damage. But was a hard hit. My tow hitch is screwed, extends half way and wont retract. Collision center says needs replacement. Question is whether any of the mounting on the frame is damaged.
Top of bumper popped out a bit.
Bottom black part of bumper needs replacement and who know what else will be found when they get into it.
The Volvo certified collision center said parts and prices arent even available yet.

and on my uninsured motorist coverage w

The beemer鈥檚 airbags didnt go off so i assume was previously wrecked. And he broke my Ohio State Buckeyes frames. 馃が
View attachment 7433 View attachment 7434 View attachment 7435
View attachment 7436
Go Bucks! Big game tomorrow! Still in Ohio? Grew up there. P2 in Ohio would get lots of attention I imagine.

Shame about the car, hope it's not too bad in the end

Registered
In the country I grew up in an accidents involving the tow hitch are sometimes considered high severity since there is a good chance the chassis was affected
Agreed! Lets hope that the lack of obvious serious damage doesn't mean there are hidden structural issues.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Did the rear-end crash protection system kick in?
My wife was driving. I think everything did work. I assume the rear blinkers came on, because other driver's passenger tried to say my wife stopped suddenly (she was stopped the whole time at the red light). Possibly the blinkers made the other lady think my wife just stopped. My wife has no injuries, no neck or back issues, so WHIPS must have absorbed a lot of the impact. She said it was like being hit by a high speed bumper car. And the car didnt move (so RCW must have held the brakes for her).

Ya know... I am praying they say chassis/frame damage and just give me a new one.

I don't know how it's other places, but if that happened to me here in Norway, my insurance would cover all repairs, and the insurance company would claim it all back from the other driver.
Yes, of course my insurance will cover it, but I have to pay my $1000 deductible. The other driver claims he cover some money, but I wont hold my breath. I can cover the deductible if needed. Still this pisses me off, drive a car? get insured. I wish every country does what Norway does with a daily fine for no insurance. Then the fine can fund a national insurer for such cases.

Thanks for condolences everyone. Yes it really sucks.
But glad to see the car performs well in a rear end crash.
Between driving home from hot yoga, and RCW + WHIPS she doesnt even feel like she was in a wreck.

Will update result of claim.

PS: my son said, lets get a different color if the car is totalled and we have to buy a new one :ROFLMAO:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Sam, that sucks. Lots of uninsured drivers here in CO. Probably everywhere else too. But seems every 6 months with auto ins renewals, my agent keeps saying higher percentage of accidents with un- or underinsured explains any price hikes...

I know Al...
Makes me wonder now, every >5yr old car on our roads, how many are un-insured...
And why we allow auctioneers to sell cars like the one he was driving. ODO said exempt on his title.
His airbags obviously wasnt repaired from previous deployment. His title said registered in Jan 2021.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Unless he agrees to cover the expenses himself I guess, the police is something else though
I am leveraging a police report to get some cash from him to cover my deductible.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Go Bucks! Big game tomorrow! Still in Ohio? Grew up there. P2 in Ohio would get lots of attention I imagine.
Shame about the car, hope it's not too bad in the end
I am in CO now. Went to school there. Cant believe we lost to the Ducks today!

Registered
The only times I've been hit have been by uninsured motorist. It's why these idiots don't have insurance - because they can't drive! 馃が I hope your car is fixed soon. I really think your wife's back will be hurting soon. That BMW is worth at least 1k at auction and that should cover your deductible nicely 馃槈

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Latest update. My insurance adjuster couldnt quote the repair 馃ぃ
He called P*/Volvo and was advised to let them handle it.
McDonald Volvo Collision says they are getting schematics and parts info from P*. Will be a while before they get everything sorted.
Thank goodness the car is still in driving condition. 馃槄

Registered

Yes I could save like 240$ On my car ins and per car without uninsured coverage, though it is optional to have it in CO, I had my share of vandalism and hit and run incidents on my cars. Just freaking scared . Few months ago a maniac near Louisville tried crashing into my Tesla. He was stopping at red and as soon as he saw me he came on to me like a clown, he even broke the red for that. Don鈥檛 know if it鈥檚 Tesla or just EV

1 - 20 of 40 Posts