Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So as many of you now I took delivery on Friday last week. I went for the Non-PP Snow with Slate.

On receiving the car, within 10min's I'd taken it around the local country back roads. It had been raining heavily and there were some large puddles, one of which I went through at speed, with the result being when I returned home:-

The back roads around our way are not nice, the car handled the situation very well. Was firm but not to the point of being bounced around.

The car defiantly needs mud flaps. In addition my Ceramic Coating in being applied next week (w/c 23rd). This will help out a lot with the above, but imho it needs mud flaps.

OK Saturday, it was pouring down with heavy rain, but I was determined to take it for a spin and there was hope the rain would stop. I took the car on the A414 from Harlow to Chelmsford.

It's a really good mix of twist country lanes and long stretches for over takings. The trip out was uneventful as sometimes you can just get in a long chain of cars doing just below the speed limit, which was fine as it was raining cats and dogs. We went to a park the other side of Chelmsford and as the rain had stopped we went for a 15min walk.

On the return trip though we was stuck behind a Transit van who was behind a car with it's Hazards going doing 30-40mph (it's a 50/60 zone). The Van had tried to overtake twice, but had to cancel as they had no acceleration and/or an oncoming car had appeared. I waited patiently until I saw an opening a floored it to overtake both of them on a clear stretch. OMG the kick caught me out! Now I've floored it like 4-5 times combined during the test drive and my 2 little drives with car ... but somehow it still caught me out and I ended up having to swerve a bit sharper or I may have hit the rear of the van!

All the family loved the car ... my son especially, as in the Stinger the rear seats were a little too long from bum to knee, so he either slouched in the seat so his knees bent over the end, or he sat up and his calf's rested on the edge of the seat, so I made him use his booster seat so he sat correctly and safely. In the P*2 the seat is about an inch sorter so he can sit in without a booster seat. He had the heated seat on max level the hole trip 馃槀

Charged the car up Saturday night to make sure I had 90% charge for Sunday. The Scheduled Charger on the Andersen A2 worked perfectly, and I even opened and closed the car a lot ... messed about etc.. before leaving it for the night. It didn't pass the 90% limit I had set. Hopefully this problem is now resolved for others who found it goes past 90%.

Note: When the car was delivered the chap made me set the limit to 32A. However returning on Saturday it still said 6A and I could not change it. Knowing I was only charging a few % anyway, I just left it. It still charged at 7kW. I've not checked it since.

Sunday, I had to take a ton of stuff to my mum's house which is 60 miles away (120mile round trip). I filled the boot up with everything and was happy to see it all just about fitted! Seeing it all on my living room floor I was worried that it wouldn't or I'd need to use the back seats as well. I forgot to take a picture but there was a lot of room in there.

If you want to read my journey data and consumption please click HERE

One thing I didn't mention was two issues on the journey. The first thing happened just after I left the house. There was a series of continuous beeps ... I checked the Drivers Display for a warning ... nothing. I checked the main screen ... nothing. I pulled over into a hard shoulder and tried to find what was going on ... It was my new phone timer alarm (I'd Set for 30min's to remind me the pre-heating was going to turn off). I felt like an idiot 馃槀

The second problem was as I joined the M25 I booted it hard. The road was family empty and it was so fast to go from 40 to XXXmph ... holly cow! However there was a really loud buzzing coming from behind me ... sounded like the roof. I started to worry and dropped my speed to 60mp, clicked ACC / LKA on so I could see if I could see anything moving or rain coming in from the roof ... nothing. I increased the speed and the noise got louder ... if I slow down it got fainter ... something defiantly was flapping around causing a vibration/flapping. After another minute of two I noticed a small leaf stuck to the roof window .... and that the stalk was flapping about like a wing on a wasp! So that was the noise 馃槀

Man what a drive this morning! The rest of the drive was at uneventful but a 120mile trip with a few min break in the middle and I didn't feel my back sweaty, uncomfortable, or had any issues at all. At 70mph on the right road surface it's really is quiet.

Questions :

1. I couldn't see a way set the AC Fan to Auto. It seems the fan speed isn't automated ... and I can alter the fan speed while the orange light around the Auto button is still on. I know you can short and long press this button, but either way the fan speed can be altered.

2. Very loud clicking noise when I get in the car at the start. I assume this is normal and maybe the relays clicking into life?

3. Is there a way to set a default Audio App? I have the radio and Spotify installed ... and when I ask Google to Play Radio 1 sometimes it would ask Spotify and others the Radio App. I can force Spotify by adding "on Spotify" to the end of the request, but cannot do the same for the Radio - I ended up with one search being "Asking Spotify to play Radio 1 on Radio".

Small quirks and "features" to get used to, but overall I'm very happy and can't wait to plan more long drives with it!

Registered
Super write up @GDank. Very enjoyable!!

Reactions: ProfessorCook

Registered
Glad you are enjoying it, they are really nice cars and very comfortable on a long run.
The rear camera is not good at night when reversing probably because the reversing lights are so small.
I found touching the brake pedal to put the brake lights on helps.
I set my car to 32kW at at some stage it changed itself to 6kW but was charging at nearly 11kW and wouldn't let me change it. However it seems to have changed back to 32kW all on its own so no idea what that is.
Can't wait to get mine back, the Volvo XC60 T8 they lent me is nice but only has about 20 miles range on battery and is averaging around 20 mpg on petrol! I am glad I didn't bother with a hybrid as you seem to get the worst of both, poor battery range and poor fuel consumption. It did show 108 mpg one the way home when the battery was charged but personally I don't want to be connecting it every time I stop. I don't think I will complain about the P2 range in future.

Registered
The loud clicking is just the various electrical relays turning on/off - you'll notice it when turning on things like the heated seats/steering wheel too. I guess some of them must be placed in/around the cabin area...and with no engine noise to disguise them they seem more obvious.

I did some driving at the weekend and drove through a big-ish puddle - I immediately got a headlight related warning appear on the dashboard which was slightly worrying but the headlights seemed to work fine and it didn't reappear the next time I drove the car. It handles well through puddles at speed though - I guess because it's a pretty heavy car?

I agree about the mud/wet - the rear bumper is pretty filthy from the mud/spray after <100 miles of driving.

Registered
The fan speed is automatic except the first (off) and last (max) settings. Even if you have it set on the lowest one for example, it will still blast hard if a lot of heating or cooling is needed. So just pick one of the middle five based upon your comfort. It'll still ramp up and down as needed.

Registered
Great write up. I understand the thought about mud flaps, but remember that they alter air flow and will impact your range.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Great write up. I understand the thought about mud flaps, but remember that they alter air flow and will impact your range.
I'll sacrifice some range for less dirt! I'll see what happens after I get it Ceramic coated. If that can keep it cleaner for longer then I'll ok with it, however my Stinger it helped but not enough, once I fitted mud flaps it was able to stay much cleaner for many days longer.

Registered
Good rightup.

Mine used to be stuck on 6 amp charging limit until I plugged it in, then it would change to what it was last set on and I could change it sitting in the car. That changed with the recall so I assume they did an update.

3 is a good question but I fear it is Google doing the thinking and sometimes it falls short. Sometimes when I ask for a song it says things like sorry I can't play a video. I don't k ow if Google ai will make improvements over time as I hope it realises when you ask the same question 5 times in different ways it has failed for the last 4 attempts.

Premium Member
What's a ceramic coating, in relation to keeping the car cleaner?
See a thread I started on ceramic coatings and whether they're worth it.

Registered
Polestar 2, Snow, non-PP, Tow bar.
Finally had a proper drive on my PS2 on day three. Spotted some odd behaviour on Amps. During hand over the guy set it to 32A. I charged a few hours on my home three pin plug (13A) as I don't yet have my me charger installed (coming soon). Today I found a 43kW AC charger (it also has a 50kW DC plug) locally and plugged in. I didn't bother checking on screen if the car was still set to 32A. Came back from the supermarket and noticed I was only getting 32 MPH charging. Checked the Amps and it was back at 6A! Huh? Now switched back to 32A again and enjoying around 120MPH charging (it's cold tonight).

Registered
Hmmh, the max. Amp setting should not affect DC charging?
Edit: My bad, only read 50kW DC. Missed the 43kW AC part. Surprised you used the AC port, as it will only give you 11kW max.

Super Moderator
Correct, the current limit is for a.c. charging only. The d.c. charging current is dependent only the charger's capability, the car's requirements and the battery temperature and state of charge.

Reactions: krheinwald and JRRF

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
I found even when it was on 6A and I couldn't adjust it, it still charged at 30-31A on my home 7kW charger.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Went out for a 45mile (90 miles round trip) to Wimpole National Trust. Last time I was there is was a muddy car park in a field for a few pounds. Then a free walk around the park / estate. Grounds / Gardens, etc.. was additional.

So they have added a new car park with loads (like 20+) 7.2kW chargers for free! So ideal for a drive and walk I thought ... plus I could test out my EV Cable I brought. Perfect!

We get there and the car park is free ... charging took 10 seconds to handshake, and I was getting 31A in the car ... awesome! Cable worked and a Free Charge! (ok was probably going to get 10-15% max extra, but still free!)

However, where before the car park cost a few quid ... to get into the park / estate for a walk around was 拢25! I know they need the money for maintenance and upkeep etc.. but still for a "Walk in the Park" it was a massive blow. Considering we used to go here a lot I paid for the Family pass for 4 of us for 拢25.

After an Hour I'd got 9% back in, it was turning cold and dark so we headed home.

Overall 22% there and 24% return with no preheating (Outside 12deg / 8deg), and doing "outside lane" typical speeds, with 35+ miles of the 45mile trip on the M11.

Super Moderator
We went there just as they were building that massive new car park and the chargers weren't activated yet, but we parked in front of one on principle :) I assume that cost is for non-NT members?

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
We went there just as they were building that massive new car park and the chargers weren't activated yet, but we parked in front of one on principle :) I assume that cost is for non-NT members?
Correct ... although ours expired about 6 months ago, and this was the first NT place we have visited in a long time.

Super Moderator
My wife and I were lucky enough to be bought a lifetime joint membership as an engagement present and it's done us incredibly well ever since. We're near Charlecote Park, and they're in the process of putting in a bunch of chargers in the new car park, so that's a convenient place for a coffee and top-up!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts