Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
3,323 Posts
Hi. What does everyone think the chances are for some significant upgrades and/or a refresh for the MY24 Polestar 2? I am on the fence whether to jump in now on a 23 or wait. Thank you!
You will be waiting a long long time since 23 deliveries haven’t even started.

Significant upgrades? Zilch
Refresh? Zilch

The only significant upgrades that they could bring is the 800v architecture which won’t happen, that would require a complete redesign of the innards of the car. Increased range? Range is great already more important is charging speeds and for that it needs 800v architecture.

Design refresh after 3 years you might see bits and bobs changing but nothing significant, maybe MY25 will have a refresh.

The software is continually being improved and continually being downgraded due to bugs, I’ve had mine 8 months or so and bugs have been removed with new bugs introduced, but I am not unhappy with my car or Polestar I still love getting in and going for a drive. As long as it drives, as long as it charges I’m happy, I don’t need my car to scrub my back or was my dishes I just need it to go from a to b safely.

· Registered
142 Posts
Their model is Porsche = long refresh cycles on the body. Colors and interiors can change every year or two, as can wheel options. This is the secret to higher levels of profitability, change cosmetics more frequently and mechanical/body (outside of plastic nose/end caps) less regularly.

Keep in mind Polestar is aiming to get the 3 to production this year in a new factory and then the 4 and 5 in subsequent years so odds are we’ll continue to see slight changes - again colors, wheel styles and interiors - during the next two years. Suspect a full refresh of the 2 comes after the 3, 4, 5 are out so we’re looking at 2025 at the earliest for a mild update and I’d wager not really before 2026-7 since it really launched in 2021. If you use BMW’s six model years per body then a full refresh won’t happen before 2027. Keep in mind Tesla is 10 years into the Model S body and will be starting model year #6 on the Model 3 shortly.

Just a guess, I have no inside info, but the math works.

· Registered
1,705 Posts
There's only a few things I could see them revising/offering on the exterior, other than wheel designs, which they've already done.

1. Offer body painted cladding, like the BST Edition.

2. A smooth, body colored, grill like the XC40/C40. Though I'm not sure how they'd integrate the radar unit for the Polestar.

3. Redesigned/Resculpted front and rear bumpers.

· Registered
P*2 DMLR Midnight Plus+Pilot lite
116 Posts
I read that MY23 got a processor bump (up from the previous Apollo lake series), so in theory at least the head unit should run AAOS more smoothly. Not sure if this is true, however...

· Registered
954 Posts
MY’23 seems to have got some significant updates already (interior/exterior colors, wheels, performance package, supposed infotainment guts). It’s also aligned with the XC40’s mid-cycle makeover (not much to write home about). So I guess what I’m saying is, this may or not have been it.

· Registered
2022 LRSM Thunder/Slate/Plus/Hitch
2,045 Posts
It will be just cosmetic stuff (from my point of view), even though to some people it could be significant, like colors, wheels, or maybe infotainment processor change … depends what you consider significant.

· Registered
'22 Void I Performance I Plus I Leather
361 Posts
You will be waiting a long long time since 23 deliveries haven’t even started.

Significant upgrades? Zilch
Refresh? Zilch

The only significant upgrades that they could bring is the 800v architecture which won’t happen, that would require a complete redesign of the innards of the car. Increased range? Range is great already more important is charging speeds and for that it needs 800v architecture.

Design refresh after 3 years you might see bits and bobs changing but nothing significant, maybe MY25 will have a refresh.
Agreed. I doubt there will be any significant refresh of this platform since production volumes would not make this cost-effective and I suspect Polestar will move any future 2 (if there will even be one) to the new bespoke EV platform.
The best thing that could be done is to modify the charge curve to be more aggressive to lower DCFC times. However, I suspect there are limits to what can be done as the car seems to be very sensitive to thermal stresses.

· Registered
Magnesium/Nappa/LRDM/Full Monty - Delivery Late November 2022
414 Posts
Their model is Porsche = long refresh cycles on the body. Colors and interiors can change every year or two, as can wheel options. This is the secret to higher levels of profitability, change cosmetics more frequently and mechanical/body (outside of plastic nose/end caps) less regularly.

Keep in mind Polestar is aiming to get the 3 to production this year in a new factory and then the 4 and 5 in subsequent years so odds are we’ll continue to see slight changes - again colors, wheel styles and interiors - during the next two years. Suspect a full refresh of the 2 comes after the 3, 4, 5 are out so we’re looking at 2025 at the earliest for a mild update and I’d wager not really before 2026-7 since it really launched in 2021. If you use BMW’s six model years per body then a full refresh won’t happen before 2027. Keep in mind Tesla is 10 years into the Model S body and will be starting model year #6 on the Model 3 shortly.

Just a guess, I have no inside info, but the math works.
FWIW ... my guess is that there will not be any sort of refresh ...and especially not in the next few years, where Polestar's focus is going to be on the P*3 etc.

To be honest I would wager that when they get around to changing the P*2 it will look nothing like the current model, but rather will be more aligned style-wise (externally and internally) with teh design direction that they are following across the P*2, P*4, P*5 etc. So that's more "swoopy" and less "chunky" on the outside and a greater emphasis on technology on the inside.

But hey, what do I know ¯\(ツ)

· Registered
4,724 Posts
I fully expect like @Mick and @goulash1971 said that the P*2 refresh will actually be something like a P*5/Precept scaled down to the size class of a P*2, on an EV dedicated platform (maybe the PMA platform of the P*4?).

Only question is if they call it the P*6 or leave it as the P*2. My guess is they call it the P*6, then bring the O2 concept in as the P*7, and keep up the pattern of odds being expensive $80-150k+ models and evens being more plebeian $45-75k levels.

· Registered
14 Posts
An massively updated P2 will be a killer car. It's in the "affordable" range, so if they later change the looks to be more like the future lineup, it will sell like crazy. And, I'd imagine they would put LIDAR tech in it, or at least an upper trim model of it for more $ but still cost around today's prices due to batteries etc getting cheaper over time.

· Registered
77 Posts
This is what I’m saying, I can’t even imagine owning this thing that long as I guarantee something important will be revised by MY2025. Hearing that the processor has been potentially upgraded is interesting as I felt that Google Maps was a little sluggish at times. Maybe at that point I would be okay financing one instead. I would personally like more wheel choices as the local space is offering powder coated black outs for all wheels as a nifty upgrade! See a Magnesium with Pilot here I just looked at with the whole set done and 25% tint.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

1 - 20 of 34 Posts