Polestar Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Registered
422 Posts
I have said this elsewhere, but I find the idea that the CPU has been upgraded in the 2023 model year to be at best unfounded and probably highly unlikely. Now, there is a possibility that it's shifted to a different CPU because of a supply chain issues but that's not necessarily going to be any better than what we have. One of the actual GOOD things about them picking an x86 platform for our cars is that sourcing CPU's becomes much easier so long as you're flexible with your specs.

Given that Android is designed to run on slow, low-power CPU's I don't think we'd see nearly the improvement in performance we think we might. I don't have the specific CPU that's in our cars but I have a very similar-specced CPU here among my bits and parts that I actually do run Android on for development purposes. It's plenty fast... in fact it still thrashes almost everything else I've played with that runs Android except in very corner use cases. The main difference between my dev board and the one in our cars is actually memory space; mine has 8GB of RAM while I seem to recall the one in our cars has 4. Now, even that shouldn't make a huge difference because while a low memory situation will cause some performance degradation, 4GB of RAM is almost certainly more than enough for the application sets we're running on the cars. And because of the nature of the car systems we're not trying to run 12 different apps at once along with some random game... automotive systems are FAR more focused and if you think it through we're not running more than 3-4 apps at a time.

The only app I've tried to run where a significant slowdown is noticeable is ABRP. However, I suspect that's actually a combination of slow storage and an app that's really not optimized properly for the Intel platform because it was originally targeted for ARM. I have noticed it's getting better with each new release too, so I suspect they're working on it. The storage in our cars again I'm not sure but in these classes of boards is usually eMMC rather than an SSD because it's usually more cost effective. I might be wrong on this but it would seem to make sense. The occasional slowdowns in Google Maps are probably equal parts LTE drops/reconnects and the aforementioned slow storage. Nothing else I've noticed would indicate that the CPU is in any way constrained running the apps we have. In fact the fact that the Vivaldi browser works so well could well be attributed to the car having plenty of horsepower to spare.

I realize most of this is conjecture but I spent MANY years working in embedded systems and know a lot about how these work and also the business decisions behind upgrades and modifications. And besides, this thread is all about conjecture, isn't it? :)

· Registered
43 Posts
You will be waiting a long long time since 23 deliveries haven’t even started.

Significant upgrades? Zilch
Refresh? Zilch

The only significant upgrades that they could bring is the 800v architecture which won’t happen, that would require a complete redesign of the innards of the car. Increased range? Range is great already more important is charging speeds and for that it needs 800v architecture.

Design refresh after 3 years you might see bits and bobs changing but nothing significant, maybe MY25 will have a refresh.

The software is continually being improved and continually being downgraded due to bugs, I’ve had mine 8 months or so and bugs have been removed with new bugs introduced, but I am not unhappy with my car or Polestar I still love getting in and going for a drive. As long as it drives, as long as it charges I’m happy, I don’t need my car to scrub my back or was my dishes I just need it to go from a to b safely.
So agree with you. I just want to drive my car if anything else is not working I don’t car as long as it doesn’t interfere with going from a to b

· Registered
1,704 Posts
I think people are conflating refresh/face-lift and redesign. (Refresh is also referred to as "mid-cycle refresh" sometimes)

If Polestar follows Volvo, which seems likely, then you'd expect a mid-cycle refresh for the 5th model year of production. So for Polestar that would be model year 2025.

Part of me wonders if that's also why Polestar really pressed 39 month leases in and around the summer/fall of 2021. That would set people up to roll over to a MY25 Polestar 2, which they might be more interested in doing, rather than getting into a MY24, which might be virtually the same as their MY21....and so they might shop elsewhere.

· Registered
217 Posts
This whole time I thought the MY23 was a "refresh," but that Polestar was only making incremental changes. MY23 gets new wheels and color choices, as many 'mid-cycle refreshes' do. Figured there wouldn't be much after that outside OTA updates.

· Registered
1,704 Posts
This whole time I thought the MY23 was a "refresh," but that Polestar was only making incremental changes. MY23 gets new wheels and color choices, as many 'mid-cycle refreshes' do. Figured there wouldn't be much after that outside OTA updates.
Volvo has introduced wheels outside of the regular refresh cycle before, so nothing odd about that, plus the MY21-22 Polestar 2 wheels (non-PP ones) looked like they were carried over directly from Volvo's design studio, and weren't particularly unique or aerodynamic. It's obvious Polestar wanted to remedy both of those issues with the new MY23 wheels. Volvo also has a nasty habit of reducing the color palette around year 2 or 3, however since Polestar started with such a drab palette, all they could do is reintroduce a new black and beige. :p

· Registered
MY24 SM LR, Pilot Plus Nappa
6 Posts
Hi. What does everyone think the chances are for some significant upgrades and/or a refresh for the MY24 Polestar 2? I am on the fence whether to jump in now on a 23 or wait. Thank you!
What they are going to do in the Belgian Volvo C40:
-82 kWh battery with a single motor.
-Rear drive.
-Consumption of 16.5 with great increase in autonomy.
-Central console better used as in Volvo.
-Central aerators.

· Registered
575 Posts
Volvo has announced a change in the drivetrain and battery sizes for the (X)C40 MY24 recharge cars.
Wouldn’t be surprised if these changes also make it to the 24 P2:

· Administrator
2,862 Posts
What they are going to do in the Belgian Volvo C40:
-82 kWh battery with a single motor.
-Rear drive.
-Consumption of 16.5 with great increase in autonomy.
-Central console better used as in Volvo.
-Central aerators.
- Weaker asynchronous front motor (163 PS vs. 245 PS) which can be turned off in cruise for the AWD models.

· Registered
46 Posts
Well, the biggest upgrade will be the transformation from a FWD to a RWD-based car (as Volvo already announced for the (X)C40) and more range due to changes in battery-packs and software. One can expect a more capable entertainment system, but I don't think it will be brought on par with the Polestar 3. I do however expect a much better AAOS experience as the installer base is growing and more capable apps are coming (like Waze, YouTube, etc)!!

To summarise: the looks will be more or less the same, but the experience will be even better for the single motor models (will not affect dual motor obviously). We will all profit from software developments so that is not a real argument to wait any longer :).

21 - 34 of 34 Posts