Polestar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
‘22 P2 LRDM, Thunder, PP, Pilot, & Plus
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took possession Monday of a MY22 preconfigured pilot, plus, performance, thunder/slate.

TL: DR - P* website is not the best for communications, Space staff can make or break the experience, but the car is a sublime experiment.

Over the summer I had been contemplating the jump to electric from ICE. I was driving a 2015 BMW 328i (which I have always thoroughly enjoyed, even if I also always regretted not getting xDrive), but a new job doubled my commute from ~20 miles to ~40 miles each way, combined with gas prices stabilizing at or above $4 (in the Pacific NW), thus time to make the jump. I started by driving the BMW i4 and I thoroughly enjoyed that car. I hesitated to put money down and perhaps missed an opportunity as BMW pretty quickly developed a long waiting list AND jumped prices and jumbled packages. Thus to get into an AWD vehicle required an investment north of $75K. So I drove the P* (LOVE the drive at home test drive experience), the Ford Mach-E, Ford Lightning, and Audi Q4 eTron in fairly quick succession. Never was interested in a Tesla for a variety of reasons.

The P* was great, even if it lacked the luxe polish of the BMW. The Mach-E (lower trim) was rather underwhelming and felt like a "Ford". The Lightning was amazing and I would buy one of those in a heartbeat, however, the better half really didn't want a full-size truck sitting in the driveway (wouldn't fit in the garage) and the dealership was charging $15K over MSRP (no thanks). The Q4 eTron was a strong contender as a comfortable ride with nice Luxe interior and styling (fastback version). However, supply would have been a lengthy delay and dealership wanted $5K over MSRP. In addition, a feature set that included nav would have pushed the very edge of my budget.

Thus I returned to P*. I did a second at-home test drive so the better half could drive as well. She really enjoyed it. So I configured a MY23, midnight, pilot, plus. Put my $500 down and set about waiting. Delivery would projected for March of 2023. But then the mind takes over. After about a week of waiting I got antsy. Started to poke around the P* website and noticed more preconfigured cars arriving at various Spaces. I briefly thought about getting one from the San Jose Space but out of state purchases can get wonky (bought my last car out of state and it was quite a hassle). Then several interesting configurations started showing up on the website at my local Space (Portland). I missed out one that was nearly identical to what I had built, panicked a little bit and had a conversation with the good folks at the Portland Space. It appeared that there were two ships crossing in the night (literally). One with MY23 and one with MY22. Given that there were no significant mechanical differences between the 22 and 23 cars I set about searching for MY22 close to my desired feature set.

A MY22 would save me ~$3500 up front just from the price increase to MY23. In addition, it would provide me with 2 years of EA charging (not a dealmaker, but a nice perk as I do drive mid-distance (~200 miles RT) road trips 1x week). I ended up refreshing the inventory 2-3X daily on the website as the week I was looking it did seem to change quite frequently. I then found the configuration listed at the top. While I was not originally looking to add the Performance pack as it just seemed spendy to me for what you get, I was willing to go with it in this config as there were no LRDM MY22 preconfigured cars with Pilot & Plus. Many with one or no packages, and two eventually with all three packages. As well, I rationalized that sticking with MY22 bought a little more than half the upcharge for the Performance Pack. So I put my $500 down on the preconfigured car and it said it would be at the Space by Mid-October. Well, the car must not have been far as the Space called and indicated the car would actually be there by end of September. Sure enough, I took possession on Monday, 9/26. Could have actually taken possession on Thursday or Friday of the previous week but was out of town.

Impressions of the car? Love it so far! Tech (AAOS) is a little sticky and will benefit from further upgrades and refinement as bugs get worked out (and new bugs found). On demand electric power is addictive and intoxicating. I need the adaptive cruise to save me from more traffic citations. Weather is turning here so I can't pass judgement on the glass roof/heat issue. I really like the seats and the weave tech, but I can see where they will be less than breathable in hotter weather. I am so glad I go the Performance Pack. The look is so much more refined with the 20" wheels and Brembo brakes and I really do love the gold seat belts actually. Holding judgement on the suspension until I can get it on more variety of roads. Clearly going to need a L2 charger in the garage as a trickle charge won't suffice. Cockpit is a little cramped with the center console and the mixed materials in said center console could stand further refinement to eliminate hard/sharp edges.

I still think this car is a transitional car until EV tech can get a 400 mile range into a 50-60K car. But I can see where this one will suit my needs for several years to come. It has a quiet refinement that is just comfortable to live with. Getting used to one-pedal driving and I have been going back and forth between creep and non-creep (currently leaning to creep mode). But overall, I really couldn't be happier with the jump to EV. In the next two weeks I have a drive to Seattle (~200 miles each way, flat) and a drive to Bend (~185 miles each way, +5000 ft). Really excited to test the range and see if I can make both of those with a top up (100%) charge before pulling out of the driveway.

Long post and just one driver's experience.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The folks at the Portland space are great.
Yes, Duncan and crew were responsive and bent over backwards to get me the car as soon as possible but at my convenience. Plus there is a great spot for drinks and snack across the street.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

· Registered
174 Posts
Great read! We have updated the preconfig page for months now, but now our car soon arrives, but still look at the page 😂

and dont try and make the trips on one charge, drive as you like instead and have more stops, thats the best way to drive evs on longer trips I think.
but of course depends on infrastructure…

· Registered
2023 P2 LRDM Midnight, Plus, Pilot, Nappa Leather Zinc
90 Posts
Congrats! Out of curiosity, when did you place your original order for the MY23? I also placed a similar order for a MY23 on Aug. 24 - midnight, 19" wheels, nappa leather, plus and pilot packs. My current estimate also shows "March 2023" although the actual estimated date when inspecting the order page in Chrome and confirmed by my Space is Feb. 13, 2023. I have been checking the pre-configured cars daily as well. However, even many of those are also showing February. There a few near me I could get earlier, but I think I really want the midnight color, although I would consider Jupiter as a second choice. I also really want the nappa leather as I live in Texas and the cooled seats sound like a must for me. Finally, almost all preconfiugred cars I see have the 20" (non-performance pack) wheels, which I just don't like the look of, and, like you, I don't think the performance pack adds a whole lot for $5000 more. Crossing my fingers mine will be a reliable car as my current car has been very reliable, i.e., I have never had to do anything to it behind a new set of wheels and regular service/oil changes.

Anyway, happy for you and I hope the car continues to be a great car for you and that you have no issues!

· Registered
2022 Magnesium, slate, PP, Pilot, Plus
36 Posts
Beautiful car, enjoy! I also had ordered a ‘23 midnight (though with performance, plus) , given a nebulous timeframe of after November. Did the daily webpage check as well and wound up with 22 that’s getting picked up Monday. the webpage needs an overhaul , it’s pretty buggy.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I placed my original MY23 order on August 10. Found the preconfigured MY22 on Sept. 11. I kept both orders for about a week and then canceled the MY23 when I felt comfortable that the 22 was indeed arriving. At that time stock online was changing almost daily. I saw one that identically matched my original order but it was gone a few hours later. Monitoring stock, not much has changed the last couple weeks, so I am guessing that was due to a shipment hitting the port and inventory taking several days to input.

Also, yes, website needs work. It was weird to be told that my order was being delivered on Dec. 31, 1969! But, while the staff at the Space were really helpful, they did say that they generally don't get any sort of advance notice of the preconfigured cars that get assigned to their Space online. So if looking that direction, just continue to scan. Someone out there coded a nice inventory tracker if you are looking at multiple Spaces.

Reactions: KSTAccel

· Registered
47 Posts
Yes, Duncan and crew were responsive and bent over backwards to get me the car as soon as possible but at my convenience. Plus there is a great spot for drinks and snack across the street.
I'm glad you're enjoying your car David :) , New Seasons is nice for trying to grab some quick groceries and Queue has some nice coffee as well right across our space.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts