Polestar Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone else had signed up to this good idea?
I heard the app developer being interviewed on an EV podcast some time ago and signed up before I even had my car, as it seems the neighbourly way of behaving within the community.

TLDR: You sign up, put a "Tax Disk" type note on your windscreen.
You are charging and someone else arrives in a hurry and they can use their app to ask you if you could swap places.
Alternatively, you are desperate for a quick charge and find an occupied charger with a sticker in the car, so you could ask them.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sounds like an idea if it rolls out on a very big scale. But it's the typical chicken and egg problem of such apps. Nobody uses it because nobody uses it...

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
An Interesting idea.

However the rude people that leave their car plugged in all day at Tesco's, or the PHEV using up an Eccotricity bay on the M1 for 2 hours, etc.. wont' bother with this in the first place. These tend to be the people we would need to move in the first place.

99% of us are sensible users but as EV's expand more people that are either naïve or careless will get EV's and thus the examples above will become more frequent.

The bigger hope is more chargers are made available and thus solve the problem in the first place.

However until then, this is probably the best solution ... I'll sign up ... not sure about putting the disc in my window ... maybe I'll just pull out the paper from the glove compartment when I'm charging.

·
Registered
Void non-PP Tow Bar
257 Posts
Looks like a good thing, think i will sign up once i get the car. Especially if someone (or yourself) are at 0% and there is no free charger.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Sounds like an idea if it rolls out on a very big scale. But it's the typical chicken and egg problem of such apps. Nobody uses it because nobody uses it...
The system is aimed more at nice people like us, who would get the app, register, and then display this in our windows.

The person coming along who needs a charge you are currently using can then just message you ... they don't even need the app.

Hopefully they would then see this is a bonus and benefit for all and then get registered and display their own disc when they are on charge.

But you will always get those people who just use the app to get others to move and not for people to ask them to move.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,877 Posts
There have been a few around over the years, they come up every year or two. ChargeBump springs to mind, which was maintained for a few years and then abandoned due to lack of use. Fundamentally it's a nice idea but depends on a high percentage of people using it, and sadly those who leave their cars on the charger for hours on end are also the ones who will not use the app or take kindly to being requested to move on.

·
Super Moderator
1,357 Posts
Nail on head there... The sort of people who would block a charger all day are the very people who wouldn't give a toss about registering for a scheme like this.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Nail on head there... The sort of people who would block a charger all day are the very people who wouldn't give a toss about registering for a scheme like this.
I don't disagree ... in fact I said as much above :D

However, this seems to be aimed at people who do care and that anyone can contact them. So let's say I pull up to a 50kWh charger ... I might leave it there for a good hour or more if I'm eating inside a restaurant etc.. but I might only need 30-45mins to get the charge I need.

I can now leave this disc in my window, and if you come along and need the charger immediately or just want to know how long I'll be until my return, you have a way to contact me - even without the app or signing up for anything.

If we won't use a system like just because some people are selfish jerks, wouldn't that make us the same as them? :unsure:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Fully agree that it would make us same as them and I'm going to sign up today! Also fully agree that the exact people leaving their car for hours and not caring for others will not care about this but if the majority care and use it, then it could make EV users life easier and better.

“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.” (Mahatma Gandhi)

If that does not work in the end by lack of usage, at least we would have tried.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,877 Posts
Good point! I only recently uninstalled ChargeBump and did stick with it for 5 years (without a single request). I might join as well - the point was well made above that it's better for some people to use it, than no-one to use it. (y)

I've taken to having an A4 sheet of paper in the windscreen with something like "If you need to charge, please call me on xxxxxxxxxxx, or if the car has stopped charging you are welcome to remove the cable and plug it into your car." because the Kona would release the CCS cable at the max charge point which I generally set to 80%.

Does the Polestar automatically release the CCS cable in the same way at the max charge point, does anyone know? I don't think it does but am probably wrong.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
871 Posts
Good point! I only recently uninstalled ChargeBump and did stick with it for 5 years (without a single request). I might join as well - the point was well made above that it's better for some people to use it, than no-one to use it. (y)

I've taken to having an A4 sheet of paper in the windscreen with something like "If you need to charge, please call me on xxxxxxxxxxx, or if the car has stopped charging you are welcome to remove the cable and plug it into your car." because the Kona would release the CCS cable at the max charge point which I generally set to 80%.

Does the Polestar automatically release the CCS cable in the same way at the max charge point, does anyone know? I don't think it does but am probably wrong.
Definitely keeps it locked when on an AC charger (which makes sense), haven't checked what happens on DC, it would make sense to release it though.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Signing up now. Since I rarely charge away from home, I don't know that it will ever matter, but in a show of good faith and community...

·
Registered
PS2, Void, non PP, 20" Wheels
24 Posts
Sounds like a good idea if it gets the uptake.

As a relatively new EV driver, what is good etiquette when it comes to time spent at a charge point - 1 hour?

I was sat at a quiet BP Pulse charger this week (getting my free charge) and was aiming to get the car to 90% SoC however after about 50 minutes an angry e-tron driver pulled up and kept pacing backwards and forwards next to me. Knowing he could see my charge duration on the app I waited until I got to 1hr (82% SoC) and then left.

·
Super Moderator
1,396 Posts
I wouldn't use time as the cut-off, but SoC. 80% is where most EVs - including the PS - drastically cut down the charging current and charge over time drops significantly. Keep that in mind as well when fast charging while travelling.

This limit can be adjusted based on someone coming in to charge depending on the circumstances: Someone asking nicely could drop it significantly and vice versa. In the situation you described, I might instantaniously have decided to need 100% :devilish:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Sounds like a good idea if it gets the uptake.

As a relatively new EV driver, what is good etiquette when it comes to time spent at a charge point - 1 hour?

I was sat at a quiet BP Pulse charger this week (getting my free charge) and was aiming to get the car to 90% SoC however after about 50 minutes an angry e-tron driver pulled up and kept pacing backwards and forwards next to me. Knowing he could see my charge duration on the app I waited until I got to 1hr (82% SoC) and then left.
Put yourself in their position. If you were waiting for a charge at a rapid and watching someone charging at a very low speed because they were over 80% SOC would you be happy?

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
No. It's rude and inefficient to charge over 80% at a public charger unless there's another charger available alongside you. Even if you think nobody's waiting, remember you show up as occupying that charger on apps... You're affecting others you don't know about.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts