Polestar Forum banner

Never have I ever...

• Had an OTA update in my time with the car (had car for 6 months+)

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Had an OTA update in my time with the car (had car for 6 months or less)

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • Had any problems with the OTA update since they started

Votes: 17 30.9%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the car since Mid September so not a new car - 4xxx series VIN - and have never had an update OTA. Every software update has been a trip to the dealer.

Just wondering - how common is this?

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
3,127 Posts
It depends if you've had to take it into the dealer for any other reason as they will routinely put any new software versions on. Mine's been in once to fix a squeak and rattle problem and once for air conditioning refusing to blow cold air. Each time it coincided with new software being available. This will be my first OTA, when it happens...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK clarification - the car did not get the OTA update even when prepared to do so during the "Recall but we'll fix it over the air" times recently. After over a month following receipt of the instruction to allow the car to update itself Polestar booked it in for a software upgrade because it hadn't updated. It got the recent update on 21st April which was a few days too early to get the current software.

So the car has had ample opportunity to download updates and hasn't. It had ample opportunity being driven too - including a sorta naught 170 mile trip for a coffee during lockdown.

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2
637 Posts
Mine has had an OTA previously and quite soon after release of the software. We are only on day 2 of the UK release and like you I’ve been driving around for quite a bit over the past 2 days. Not quite sure the packet size of the update and it’s quite frustrating not to see any degree of activity to indicate something is being downloaded in the background...this is one key suggestion for PS.

As I’ve posted elsewhere CS suggest all UK cars should be updated before Saturday. It’s actually good to get an OTA downloaded and installed as it gives confidence it actually works!!

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
according to friend face. No uk updates planned today 😔
View attachment 5378
fwiw no US planned for Tuesday either, but that's when I got mine. Wasn't there late Monday (was I obsessively checking? perhaps...) but showed up during a mid-AM drive.
So..... sit tight!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fwiw no US planned for Tuesday either, but that's when I got mine.
The dates are likely when a VIN has the software released to it. When it actually gets to download and make it available to the driver after that will depend on other factors such as how often the car is used, mobile network speed, time zones, etc.

What I’m intrigued to know is why it is being done by country and not a selection across all regions with a gradual ramping up of volumes.

·
Registered
Void non-PP Tow Bar
311 Posts
fwiw no US planned for Tuesday either, but that's when I got mine. Wasn't there late Monday (was I obsessively checking? perhaps...) but showed up during a mid-AM drive.
So..... sit tight!
I'm guessing the 'number in each region' are the VIN's that have been given the green light to down load the update. That doesn't mean your car will be ready to update on that day, all depends on how much you drive, if you actually have LTE :p, signal strength etc etc.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
3,127 Posts
Exactly... we did about an hour's driving last night (to the jab place and back for the wife) and still no sign. We'll see if it grabs it over the weekend. Apparently Customer Services can "push" the update again, if the car somehow got a notification that the update is available but had a senior moment and forgot to actually do it (much like my shopping trips these days...).

·
Registered
266 Posts
After a 70 minute commute, got the "Ready to install" screen, parked at work and clicked 'Install now', waited 90 minutes went back to the car, unlocked and welcomed by the "Update not installed" screen due to failing the prerequisites. SOC was 37%, too low, needs to be above 40%. Left it plugged in until 43% then clicked 'Try again". Watch this space...

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I've never had any software updates. None. I'm booked in two weeks to take the car in for software updates and the external speaker replacement.

Mike of CS said some cars, including mine, were identified as risky to update OTA. I can see that.

No worries, though. The car's been great.

·
Registered
Oct '20 / VIN47xx. Void, Slate, 20"
560 Posts
Mine alerted me to install it today after driving into Manchester and back for a vaccination jab. The OTA itself installed just fine but the app isn't 100% working for me yet.

I posted over in this thread: Your car is about to get a lot smarter

·
Registered
676 Posts
I've never had any software updates. None. I'm booked in two weeks to take the car in for software updates and the external speaker replacement.

Mike of CS said some cars, including mine, were identified as risky to update OTA. I can see that.

Did Mike give any clue about why you car is “risky” and mine (or others) is not? I’m VIN 13xxx, got mine not too long after you (January). Could hardware have changed that much between our VINs? I find this so weird, and that they recognize the problem, and yet still cars are out there being bricked by this OTA process.

·
Registered
478 Posts

Typo : Mike of CS said some users of the cars, including me, were identified as risky to update OTA. I can see that.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Did Mike give any clue about why you car is “risky” and mine (or others) is not? I’m VIN 13xxx, got mine not too long after you (January). Could hardware have changed that much between our VINs? I find this so weird, and that they recognize the problem, and yet still cars are out there being bricked by this OTA process.
Hmm, my car is actually earlier than the Professors and I've never actually performed an OTA, but I did get the notification with this one that it has downloaded and is available to update when I have a few hours of time when I don't need a car to function. I'm frankly nervous and will be sure the car is parked outside where a flatbed has a straight shot to pick it up. It's not that I wear tin foil hats, and I did get the vaccine as soon as I was eligible, but I'm pretty nervous about running this update.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've never had an OTA SW update either, and my car is currently on a 500 mile journey to have the safety recall SW update done in the nearest service center (now Denver). In the last couple weeks things like maps, cameras, and the google assistant have all gone awry. I got the airbag warning as well, but that didn't stay on. My hope is that OTA works with the next one, because while it is under warranty and the shipping is covered by Polestar, it really changes my perspective on the vehicle being a viable option since OTA is part of what helped me over the risk hurdle being so far from a service location.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So - months and months later. Videos sent to Polestar, car into the dealer to sort it twice. Nothing.

Polestar are apparently treating this as an escalated issue but all I get are platitudes from Customer Something - not sure what the Something is because it aint service or software right now.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just today got feedback from Polestar - they believe that the car's security certificates are revoked or expired and need to be reinstalled along with a full software update.

AND I got them to give me a Polestar 2 as a loan car while they deal with this so I don't have to pay for petrol or diseasel if they screw it up.

If only someone had told them 4 months ago that it was likely a certificate issue - Oh wait! I did! 🤦‍♂️

1 - 20 of 25 Posts