Polestar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I recently discovered this community and decided to jump onboard. Looking forward to updates. Although I admire the Tesla Model 3 and think they're great cars, I prefer the design of the Polestar 2 and can't wait to sit in one and actually take one for a drive.

Has anyone here had an opportunity to drive one yet? Here in the US, there are not any demo Polestar 2 to try.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are there other EVs you're considering? Or is your main focus the Polestar 2?
Polestar 2 and the Volvo XC40 Recharge are the leading contenders for me. I was briefly considering a Tesla Model Y, but all the reports about issues with Model Y build quality have led me elsewhere.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There's an ENORMOUS drawback to the Polestar 2 in the US - despite their original promises, Polestar isn't using most Volvo dealers for service. The only way to get service is to be within 150 miles of a Polestar Space in LA, SF or NYC. If you're not within 150 miles of these cities (I'm guessing you're not), its impossible to get your car repaired under warranty without towing the car to one of these cities at YOUR expense. I love the look of the Polestar 2, but I'd really recommend against ordering one unless Polestar backtracks on this disaster of a policy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Welcome @MajesticMachine1
It seems like mid-2021 is when things will really pickup and most of us might reconsider:

"While reserving your Polestar 2, you will need to select the Polestar Space nearest you and confirm your preferred payment method. There will be a Polestar Space in Los Angeles, New York City, and two in the Bay Area this year, with additional Spaces expected to open in Boston, Denver, Texas, Washington D.C., and Florida in the first half of 2021. For anyone who wants to order a Polestar 2 and doesn’t live near one of our launch cities, please select the closest retailer to you and that Polestar Space will work with you to provide the most convenient solution."
(quote taken from this thread: Order mess)

How much longer are you willing to wait?

Any other EV's you are looking at currently?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, sounds like things might get a little better during 2021, but we all know how plans can change. Even then it's still a significantly smaller network than other manufacturers.

If only their parent company had a nationwide network of service centers they could leverage, one that is already tooling up to service an almost identical EV. Oh well, I guess there's no solution.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's an ENORMOUS drawback to the Polestar 2 in the US - despite their original promises, Polestar isn't using most Volvo dealers for service. The only way to get service is to be within 150 miles of a Polestar Space in LA, SF or NYC. If you're not within 150 miles of these cities (I'm guessing you're not), its impossible to get your car repaired under warranty without towing the car to one of these cities at YOUR expense. I love the look of the Polestar 2, but I'd really recommend against ordering one unless Polestar backtracks on this disaster of a policy.
Thanks for sharing all this info. I've learned from your posts already.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If only their parent company had a nationwide network of service centers they could leverage, one that is already tooling up to service an almost identical EV. Oh well, I guess there's no solution.
I don't understand why Polestar is not leaning more on the Volvo dealer network, at least while the brand is getting started. Volvo offers a premium experience at their dealers, so the quality of dealer service should not be an issue. Polestar, Volvo, and Lotus all have the same corporate parent right? Why not leverage that entire network, especially when it's mostly deliveries and signing paperwork to hand over cars for the time being? Major issues should be far and few between.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeah, sounds like things might get a little better during 2021, but we all know how plans can change. Even then it's still a significantly smaller network than other manufacturers.

I guess Polestar doesn't want big brother to come in and save them or something. Seems like a pride thing rather than a logistics one.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Welcome @MajesticMachine1
It seems like mid-2021 is when things will really pickup and most of us might reconsider:

"While reserving your Polestar 2, you will need to select the Polestar Space nearest you and confirm your preferred payment method. There will be a Polestar Space in Los Angeles, New York City, and two in the Bay Area this year, with additional Spaces expected to open in Boston, Denver, Texas, Washington D.C., and Florida in the first half of 2021. For anyone who wants to order a Polestar 2 and doesn’t live near one of our launch cities, please select the closest retailer to you and that Polestar Space will work with you to provide the most convenient solution."
(quote taken from this thread: Order mess)

How much longer are you willing to wait?

Any other EV's you are looking at currently?
The expanded dealer network can't come soon enough, especially if they're this hellbent on not getting help from Volvo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
They're using the Volvo network for servicing in all other countries. There seems to be something specific about the US Volvo dealer network that they're trying to jettison. I have a feeling it could be related to this idiotic situation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts