Polestar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

Love the car, only had it 2 days, but noticed something that I'm not sure is intentional or not. Twice, driving in the snow, at low speed, the car steering wheel seems to take its own control, and the vehicle suddenly brakes and the car skids and judders on the snow to a stop, like its collision avoidance but theres nothing there to avoid. First time I was just coming up to a roundabout with nothing else around, second time this morning could of been parked cars on the left causing it, but yeah both times nothing to avoid.

Took it for my first ever EV charge this morning. about 15 minutes of faffing it was with the app in the freezing cold, but successfully connected in the end. Left it for 1.5hrs on a 44kw public charger in a car park, came back and I'd only got 15% increase in charge in that time. Unfortunately not able to home charge, and this is the only charger in town. Attempting some other chargers out of town tomorrow, and I really hope I can get some decent charge speeds!

Other than the above, all seems ok so far. 4G / LTE working fine after I accepted T-mobile terms and conditions in the settings. Delivery guy gave me some line about polestar needing to activate it, so I did that in front of him. He seemed to know about it, not sure why he didn't suggest it.

Only things I don't like, is the surgical type of cabin lighting when parked or opening the door. Or the silver trim under the grill on the front. I'm void non pp. Oh and the range, 85% delivered, 100 miles of A roads and down to 25%. It's freezing weather though

·
Registered
P2 Moon Jan 2021
95 Posts
Hi great to hear you love the car, congratulation on getting the Polestar, no home charger hope you can get something organised there, not had that problem is the snow, must admit i have been impressed with how it handles the snow

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
867 Posts
Hi there

Love the car, only had it 2 days, but noticed something that I'm not sure is intentional or not. Twice, driving in the snow, at low speed, the car steering wheel seems to take its own control, and the vehicle suddenly brakes and the car skids and judders on the snow to a stop, like its collision avoidance but theres nothing there to avoid. First time I was just coming up to a roundabout with nothing else around, second time this morning could of been parked cars on the left causing it, but yeah both times nothing to avoid.

Took it for my first ever EV charge this morning. about 15 minutes of faffing it was with the app in the freezing cold, but successfully connected in the end. Left it for 1.5hrs on a 44kw public charger in a car park, came back and I'd only got 15% increase in charge in that time. Unfortunately not able to home charge, and this is the only charger in town. Attempting some other chargers out of town tomorrow, and I really hope I can get some decent charge speeds!

Other than the above, all seems ok so far. 4G / LTE working fine after I accepted T-mobile terms and conditions in the settings. Delivery guy gave me some line about polestar needing to activate it, so I did that in front of him. He seemed to know about it, not sure why he didn't suggest it.

Only things I don't like, is the surgical type of cabin lighting when parked or opening the door. Or the silver trim under the grill on the front. I'm void non pp. Oh and the range, 85% delivered, 100 miles of A roads and down to 25%. It's freezing weather though
Looks like you used an AC charger, that’s not going to be faster than a home charger, it’s an overnight job. Did it have more than one cable you could use? Many also offer DC charging but from a separate cable.

Given the option only use CCS, anything else is an overnight job.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,867 Posts
Yep, 15% of 76kWh over 1.5 hours is about, well, 7.6kW charge rate (minus losses, I know, I know, I'm just approximating). It may even have been an a.c. charger capable of 44kw a.c. and trying to pump in 11kW a.c. but due to low temperatures and charging conversion losses associated with a.c. charging, you only got a net 8kW or so in, on average over the time period.

Basically it's CCS only for rapid charging as @kkonstan says.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
867 Posts
Yep, 15% of 76kWh over 1.5 hours is about, well, 7.6kW charge rate (minus losses, I know, I know, I'm just approximating). It may even have been an a.c. charger capable of 44kw a.c. and trying to pump in 11kW a.c. but due to low temperatures and charging conversion losses associated with a.c. charging, you only got a net 8kW or so in, on average over the time period.

Basically it's CCS only for rapid charging as @kkonstan says.
Is there anything other than the Zoe that can AC charge at more than 11kW anyway? What’s the point of those chargers I wonder!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Is there anything other than the Zoe that can AC charge at more than 11kW anyway? What’s the point of those chargers I wonder!
Right now it's all older cars ... nothing new that I know off uses more than 22kW AC, even the 2020+ Zoe I think comes with CCS as standard.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,867 Posts
The ZE40 would do up to 43kW a.c., as you say. The Zoe ZE50 comes with CCS as an option for about £500, but now maxes out at 22kW a.c. charging capability on all models. The eTron has been updated for the 2022 model year (so mid 2021 deliveries) to support 22kW a.c. charging, compared to the 11kW it was previously, so it's likely that most Audis (and therefore probably Porsches too) will support 22kW from now on or at least have it as a cost option on the car. It could trickle down to the ID.3 and ID.4 but currently they're advertised as 11kW max on a.c.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts