Polestar Forum banner

How long have you had to queue at a public charger before you can charge your EV?

• Never

Votes: 24 51.1%
  • Up to 15 minutes

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • Between 15-30 mins

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Over 30 minutes

Votes: 1 2.1%
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
Polestar 2 LRSM MY23, thunder, plus pack, pilot lite
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been following a few posts here about people thinking about whether it is right to unplug someone's charger if it's finished charging. I'll soon be receiving my new LRSM and fortunately I have had a Zappi installed at home. But my Newbie question concerns longer trips where I may need to use the UK's EV charging network. I am wondering about where do you queue when waiting for a free charger at larger EV charging sites. Is this like the chaos that occurs when waiting for a free parking space in a full carpark or queuing for a free fuel pump at a petrol station? Also, has anyone experienced queue hopping or charger range? These are my biggest reservations about my move from ICE to EV.

·
Registered
PS2 | Midnight LRDM | Pilot | Plus | Barley | MY2022
56 Posts
I've been following a few posts here about people thinking about whether it is right to unplug someone's charger if it's finished charging. I'll soon be receiving my new LRSM and fortunately I have had a Zappi installed at home. But my Newbie question concerns longer trips where I may need to use the UK's EV charging network. I am wondering about where do you queue when waiting for a free charger at larger EV charging sites. Is this like the chaos that occurs when waiting for a free parking space in a full carpark or queuing for a free fuel pump at a petrol station? Also, has anyone experienced queue hopping or charger range? These are my biggest reservations about my move from ICE to EV.
To be honest, I never wait. If it's full when I arrive I'll find another station. I'm in southern California so there are many around, I realize that's not the case in some parts of the country. Just this last weekend we had a situation where a 10 station Electrify America was completely full when we arrived. Went and had dinner, came back and found a couple empty. 2 days later and the entire location was completely broken (Burbank), 6 stations in Santa Anita were completly full (why are almost all stations in shopping centers, people plug in and go shopping, wth) and just drove 10 minutes away to an Albertsons where there were 4 empty units.

To amend this, none of the stations I've used recently have anywhere to queue, it's total chaos. In Burbank it's infront of the busiest Walmart I've ever seen, doesn't matter when it is.

·
Registered
2022 Polestar 2 LRSM, pilot + plus
79 Posts
At fast chargers where there is a sign at the parking spot that says ‘EV charging only’, if you unplug someone else’s EV, even after they are done charging, they might get a ticket for parking in a EV charging parking spot without being plugged in. So I wouldn’t advise unplugging someone else even if they are done charging.
I’ve queued for fast chargers before, and it is usually chaos, because there is not a designated queueing method. It is not possible to know who arrived first and even if someone is waiting for the charger or not. I’ve almost gotten into fights with other EV drivers before (on a weekend in a touristy area in British Columbia, Canada) because of this…

·
Registered
987 Posts
I find if you avoid Motorway service stations and head for charger/s less than a mile away from the motorway, you rarely have to queue. If you do have to wait/queue it's all very British and civilised for the majority of time (and we are world beating at queuing :cool: ) with informal queuing and polite chat and people taking turns. There will always be a small minority who can be selfish though.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I’ve only had to wait twice for a charger, and one of those wasn’t really a wait as I went to use the gents and on return a charger opened up a few minutes later. It was on a road trip on my way back from Scotland that I had to wait but it wasn’t long and didn’t affect my plans as I have a 2 year old who needs time to work of his energy and get ready to go again. Sometimes he is ready on 40 minutes other times it’s 1hr40.

Its also not possible to unplug someone’s car. You can stop their charge but not unplug as the charger would be locked and you would need their key. Yes if it’s a dual charger that has two connectors you can stop their charge and start your own but if someone did that to me they may end up regretting that decision.

Planning journeys isn’t a must but if you leave when it’s quiet (early morning or late night) it’s a lot easier less traffic and no waiting at chargers.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I’ve almost gotten into fights with other EV drivers before (on a weekend in a touristy area in British Columbia, Canada) because of this…
This is highly unusual. Most of the time the person pulling out knows who's been "idling" and waiting first and they let them in. It's not like someone is going to sweep into a spot in front of you. And most EV drivers are unlike the MAGA crowd that are driving large pickups. 🤣

Yes if it’s a dual charger that has two connectors you can stop their charge and start your own but if someone did that to me they may end up regretting that decision.
Someone on this forum complained that this happened to them once. But this would also be unusual because there would have to be another spot behind/next to the charger where it could reach to your car. I can see a new tik tok challenge now: kids going to charging stations and hitting "stop" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
The best way to remove unnecessary queues is to eliminate completely free fast charging. There should never be a time (beyond emergencies) when fast charging costs less then the prevailing local utility rates. That would still give people a break if they are on a "plan", and prevent locals from tying up local fast chargers to save a couple of bucks. It's amazing that people who can afford a 60-70-100K car are still willing to be inconvenienced to save $3.00 on their electric bill.

·
Registered
MY22 Pilot Plus LRDM on 20s, Magnesium
165 Posts
Milton Keynes Ionity yesterday had a queue of 3 cars waiting with 4 already in the stalls.
15 minutes later and I was connected...........cable, not charge, that was a different battle!! "you are not authorised to start charging" Turns out, plugsurfing and Ionity had issues in the UK yesterday, assuming they are resolved today.

My attitude towards those charging past 90, despite it being seriously annoying.......you should NEVER touch someone elses car! EVER.

·
Registered
79 Posts
This is highly unusual. Most of the time the person pulling out knows who's been "idling" and waiting first and they let them in. It's not like someone is going to sweep into a spot in front of you. And most EV drivers are unlike the MAGA crowd that are driving large pickups. 🤣
It is possible when the driver of actively charging EV is not sitting in their car, and others who pulled up to queue also left their car to go to some place nearby. I got there and saw an EV leaving the charger so I started charging, 5 minutes later another EV driver suddenly ran to me and said they were queuing for that charger before me. There was absolutely no way I would have known that someone else was waiting for that charger.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It is possible when the driver of actively charging EV is not sitting in their car, and others who pulled up to queue also left their car to go to some place nearby. I got there and saw an available charger so I started charging, 5 minutes later another EV driver suddenly ran to me and said they were waiting for that charger before me. There was absolutely no way I would have known that someone else was waiting for that charger.
It seems like that guy didn't know the difference between queuing and waiting. He also thought you where a mind reader.

·
Registered
66 Posts
In busy parking lots where spaces are limited I find too many Teslas that are not charging and thinking that’s an EV spot for them to park. I’d never touch someone else’s car, but I’d happily see those Teslas towed out of spots they are not using.
The main problem that needs to be solved in the near future is cuing in the apps; this would be so easy and I’m not sure why it hasn’t happened. It would also make sense for the other side of the EA chargers work even if half of the max.
I leave the lights of the car on to make sure it’s obvious the car is occupied and waiting.

·
Registered
79 Posts
In Canada, especially on the west coast, I’ve seen a lot of EVs plugged into chargers (fast or slow) and not actually charging (no active session on the charger). This is so that they can use the parking space without paying for a charge.
This is very annoying for EV drivers who actually need to charge, because those chargers will show as available on the app.
I’ve only been in Vancouver for a month and I’ve seen this type of behavior at least 5 times already. Mainland Street streetside chargers and Kitsilano Beach chargers are the worst, because faking charging at these places can get you free parking in otherwise expensive areas to park. I’ve never seen them ticketed.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts

Someone on this forum complained that this happened to them once. But this would also be unusual because there would have to be another spot behind/next to the charger where it could reach to your car. I can see a new tik tok challenge now: kids going to charging stations and hitting "stop" :rolleyes:
In the UK where a charger has a dual connector normally there are two positions for every charger next to each other. Not sure about the rest of the planet. These same chargers eventually will be upgraded to charge two cars at the same time but only at half the max speed if charging 2.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
In Canada, especially on the west coast, I’ve seen a lot of EVs plugged into chargers (fast or slow) and not actually charging (no active session on the charger). This is so that they can use the parking space without paying for a charge.
This is very annoying for EV drivers who actually need to charge, because those chargers will show as available on the app.
I’ve only been in Vancouver for a month and I’ve seen this type of behavior at least 5 times already. Mainland Street streetside chargers and Kitsilano Beach chargers are the worst, because faking charging at these places can get you free parking in otherwise expensive areas to park. I’ve never seen them ticketed.
When I went to Bicester Village the other week the chargers are manned by an attendant and you have to give him your cables and they will connect and start the charge for you. The charger parking slots are coned off and you have to inform the attendant you want to park and charge. It’s a great system especially as the charging and parking is free. Only thing they need to do is keep the car keys so when car is charged they can move it to a parking spot and free up the charger for someone else.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
It would also make sense for the other side of the EA chargers work even if half of the max.
You're essentially asking for more juice to be available at a station. That's more transformers, more readers, etc. Not just more cables. There are stations out there that have two distinct hookups that share the power. So if it's a 62kw station and someone else is at the other charger, you only get 31kw.

·
Registered
2021 Snow PP, Barley Leather Int., Tow Package
330 Posts
The best way to remove unnecessary queues is to eliminate completely free fast charging. There should never be a time (beyond emergencies) when fast charging costs less then the prevailing local utility rates. That would still give people a break if they are on a "plan", and prevent locals from tying up local fast chargers to save a couple of bucks. It's amazing that people who can afford a 60-70-100K car are still willing to be inconvenienced to save $3.00 on their electric bill.
hahaha saving that three bucks every time might have been how they can afford that P2 or Taycan LOL

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
because faking charging at these places can get you free parking in otherwise expensive areas to park.
I've been to parking garages where if you pay for the parking you get free charging (L2). So most people plug in and go to work. I found lots of people fill up before the end of the day but stay plugged in until they leave work. I was there overnight and just waited until the place cleared out at the end of the day.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
hahaha saving that three bucks every time might have been how they can afford that P2 or Taycan LOL
Gas is the same way. Someone in a MB who drives 5 miles out of their way to save 2 cents/gal.

I am willing to admit that I've used free EA charging even when I didn't need to, but only if I had time to kill, and the chargers were open (the one I usually is empty)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts