Polestar Forum banner

How long have you had to queue at a public charger before you can charge your EV?

• Never

Votes: 24 51.1%
  • Up to 15 minutes

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • Between 15-30 mins

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Over 30 minutes

Votes: 1 2.1%
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Administrator
2,504 Posts
When I went to Bicester Village the other week the chargers are manned by an attendant and you have to give him your cables and they will connect and start the charge for you. The charger parking slots are coned off and you have to inform the attendant you want to park and charge. It’s a great system especially as the charging and parking is free. Only thing they need to do is keep the car keys so when car is charged they can move it to a parking spot and free up the charger for someone else.
Valet Parking 2.0

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Not really experienced queuing, saying that I don't like the parking bay system some apply. I much prefer the petrol/gas pump system where you drive in and pick a row of pumps and just fill it up there. That is how a lot of the fast chargers in the Netherlands are setup, avoids that whole who is first issue.

In most places where I publicly charged the cable isn't long enough to take out of one car and put it in another if the driver isn't returned. Besides it is likely locked to the car anyway.

Destination chargers a whole different story. I never even contemplate queuing as they could be there legitimately for days ;)

·
Registered
2022 Polestar 2 LRSM, pilot + plus
75 Posts
I've been to parking garages where if you pay for the parking you get free charging (L2). So most people plug in and go to work. I found lots of people fill up before the end of the day but stay plugged in until they leave work. I was there overnight and just waited until the place cleared out at the end of the day.
Most parking garages I have been to in Eastern Canada and all of the US are like that. But here in Vancouver, a lot of EV chargers have parking and charging fees both built in to the charger’s fees. A great initiative for convenience. The original intent is so that you don’t have to separately pay for parking. However, this can also be easily abused…

·
Registered
236 Posts
The best way to remove unnecessary queues is to eliminate completely free fast charging. There should never be a time (beyond emergencies) when fast charging costs less then the prevailing local utility rates. That would still give people a break if they are on a "plan", and prevent locals from tying up local fast chargers to save a couple of bucks. It's amazing that people who can afford a 60-70-100K car are still willing to be inconvenienced to save $3.00 on their electric bill.
A lot of wealthy people are frugal. Hence the wealth.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Agreed. But if you're really wealthy your time is worth more than these type of savings. 🙂
It is most valuable to me indeed...The convenience of charging on my own driveway far outstrips finding some local destination charger and walk or cycle back, or worse spending time waiting there and moving my vehicle etc. And not just my time that is way more valuable, or the time lost not spending with loved ones...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Agreed. But if you're really wealthy your time is worth more than these type of savings. 🙂
For some it is like an addiction. Why spend a dollar when I don't have to? Why use a 1.5% cash back credit card when I can use a 2.0% one? Why should I stick with this savings account with a 1.4% APY when I can switch to this one for 1.5%? Why subscribe to Netflix when my sister has it an I can just use her account? More money is more money, 100% of the time.

I know someone like this, hence the comments. Not everyone values the same things equally.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Is this like the chaos that occurs when waiting for a free parking space in a full carpark
I voted Never, but I had to wait only once for something like 5 minutes in something very similar to the chaos you describe. This was a charging station in a small town where most people stop on the way from big city 1 to big city 2 hence the impatience.

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
For some it is like an addiction. Why spend a dollar when I don't have to? Why use a 1.5% cash back credit card when I can use a 2.0% one? Why should I stick with this savings account with a 1.4% APY when I can switch to this one for 1.5%? Why subscribe to Netflix when my sister has it an I can just use her account? More money is more money, 100% of the time.

I know someone like this, hence the comments. Not everyone values the same things equally.
Absolutely. I know people like this too. It's like a useless game.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
531 Posts
At fast chargers where there is a sign at the parking spot that says ‘EV charging only’, if you unplug someone else’s EV, even after they are done charging, they might get a ticket for parking in a EV charging parking spot without being plugged in. So I wouldn’t advise unplugging someone else even if they are done charging.
IMO they should get a ticket if their car is sitting there plugged in and 100% full if the network doesn't have an idle fee.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
If that was introduced, wouldn't that effectively reduce everyone who was reliant on public charging's battery capacity by 10%?
In absolute terms yes, but in efficiency and practicality everyone actually gains. It is a bit odd at first but it really is better. Well for the ultrafast chargers, same shouldn't apply for destination chargers.

·
Registered
'22 P*2 dual motor, midnight, charcoal, performance pilot plus
209 Posts
Depends how effectively you multitask. I don't use fast chargers all that often, but most of the time when I do use them I'm sitting in the car checking email or on conference calls...

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
If that was introduced, wouldn't that effectively reduce everyone who was reliant on public charging's battery capacity by 10%?
Absolutely. But they shouldn't be charging to 100% anyway since that's not good for their battery. And as @Bl4ckD0g said, from a practical standpoint it's irrelevant. In two years I've only charged to 100% about 4 times, and even that was not really necessary in the long run.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Absolutely. I know people like this too. It's like a useless game.
"Useless" is a very strong word. The person I'm referring to retired at age 42 as a multimillionaire.

I'd say they just place a much stronger emphasis on money - every red cent of it - over their personal time. But now they have nothing but time, so who can say.

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
"Useless" is a very strong word. The person I'm referring to retired at age 42 as a multimillionaire.

I'd say they just place a much stronger emphasis on money - every red cent of it - over their personal time. But now they have nothing but time, so who can say.
If they are retired that's different. Their time is literally worth nothing. I watch just about every cent, but that never made me a millionaire 😂. If I try to honestly think of all the penny pinching, coupon clipping, scraping and letter writing I've done over my life and try to estimate what I might have gained, maybe an outside number might be $20K. Probably less. I wouldn't change it, but I have to wonder if all the time and headache was really worth it. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
'22 P*2 dual motor, midnight, charcoal, performance pilot plus
209 Posts
Of course. But with that type of efficiency you wouldn't go out of your way to get to that charger.
Yeah, I'm one of the lucky ones with an EA charging station within a 30 second detour of my daily commute. :D

But again, just to be clear, I never do this to save a few dollars on my power bill. I only use fast chargers when I need a top up for a long drive and my granny charger at home isn't up for the task.

·
Registered
MY22 Pilot Plus LRDM on 20s, Magnesium
165 Posts
I love how there's all this talk of EA chargers in the UK sub forum............I WISH we had EA chargers and a semi unified network over here!!

Instead we get ripped off by BP, Osprey, Instavolt, Gridserve,Ionity (outside of polestar agreement) and others, with differing levels of charger quality and support

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I love how there's all this talk of EA chargers in the UK sub forum............I WISH we had EA chargers and a semi unified network over here!!

Instead we get ripped off by BP, Osprey, Instavolt, Gridserve,Ionity (outside of polestar agreement) and others, with differing levels of charger quality and support
You are assuming EA wouldn’t rip us off as well 🤣

21 - 40 of 58 Posts