Polestar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Snow, non-PP, Tow bar
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally! It's installed. The tethered cable looks mighty ugly. I've seen other chargers with far neater cable tidy options - should have done more research.
. Oh well! It's done. Home charging, ahoy!

It does look a lot better before the cable was installed.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, my first proper charging session tonight at home with Newmotion charging point that was installed today. Fast handshake and seeing about 30/31A on the car display. Annoyingly, now that I've locked up downstairs, the Shell Recharge app keeps sending me notifications that charging has stopped, then it says it has restarted. Done so the times over a two hour period since I started the charge. When I look out of the bedroom window down at the car, I see the green glow of the charging port, so I am assuming it's all good and just a software bug, perhaps. Haven't gone out to the car to inspect the display and see what the charging situation is. Will do a proper sit in car test tomorrow and read a book to keep an eye on things. Anyone experienced similar behaviour from their charging point app?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got one. No it doesn't. It's one of the dumbest of dumb chargers out there. Avoid.
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately it comes paid for by work. I have the choice of paying full price for my own or taking this for now and changing it later. I'm stuck between a 5m Ohme cable for control or a 10m cable to save moving cars around. I won't get the car until September (and the charger in August) so hopefully scheduled charging is available in the car before then.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately it comes paid for by work. I have the choice of paying full price for my own or taking this for now and changing it later. I'm stuck between a 5m Ohme cable for control or a 10m cable to save moving cars around. I won't get the car until September (and the charger in August) so hopefully scheduled charging is available in the car before then.
So, if it helps learning from my mistake, I went with a tethered cable. I wish I hadn't as then I could have used a smarter Ohme cable with the New Motion charger. As it stands, I just have an "electric hosepipe" on my front wall that I can turn on and off and that's it. New Motion does offer a "load balancer" option. It's an extra box that sits next to your inverter that measures your homes total load draw and balances how much energy is going to your charger. I didn't go for that as I'd be charging overnight mostly. So, go with untethered would be my advice as then you can use that Ohme.

Incidentally, I just switched my electricity tariff to Octopus Go Faster, an experimental tariff they're offering. My "cheap rate" of 5.5p kWh now starts at 8.30pm and lasts five hours. At least now I don't have to wait till 1am to charge on the cheap, which was a nightmare with the New Motion charger as there's no timer option built into it. I think with your Ohme cable you can set a timer or get it to start charging when the "low rate" starts (I think).

·
Registered
534 Posts
So, if it helps learning from my mistake, I went with a tethered cable. I wish I hadn't as then I could have used a smarter Ohme cable with the New Motion charger. As it stands, I just have an "electric hosepipe" on my front wall that I can turn on and off and that's it. New Motion does offer a "load balancer" option. It's an extra box that sits next to your inverter that measures your homes total load draw and balances how much energy is going to your charger. I didn't go for that as I'd be charging overnight mostly. So, go with untethered would be my advice as then you can use that Ohme.

Incidentally, I just switched my electricity tariff to Octopus Go Faster, an experimental tariff they're offering. My "cheap rate" of 5.5p kWh now starts at 8.30pm and lasts five hours. At least now I don't have to wait till 1am to charge on the cheap, which was a nightmare with the New Motion charger as there's no timer option built into it. I think with your Ohme cable you can set a timer or get it to start charging when the "low rate" starts (I think).
Correct on the ohme scheduling

1 - 9 of 9 Posts