Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those without 4G here is one suggested option. Realise a few fixes have been suggested before so sorry if repeating a previous thread but this appears to be the official Volvo/Polestar possible workaround. Assume where says T Mobile Germany will change according to location and as it says "MAY" seems far from guaranteed but hopefully
might help some owners.

·
Registered
582 Posts
No luck. This assumes step 3 automagically enables mobile data, which it doesn't. Step 5 then fails with no internet connection.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It’s also not possible to connect to a WiFi network on the latest version (1st Nov 2020)... so this is not going to help. Thanks for posting though, seems they’re at least taking notice but worrying they don’t have a fix... or even realise the current limitations of the OTA version!

Reactions: rgledhill

·
Registered
582 Posts
I just realized it's a different error description: Not being able to accept the T&Cs due to missing internet connection because of the T&Cs not being accepted when to activate the internet connectivity - typical bootstrap problem.

Our error is different - internet connectivity was already activated, but fails intermittently.

WiFi works in some - my - cases, though.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
For Empty Triangles I have no idea - never had this - sorry.

For people who's 4G used to work , but now have a 4G solid Triangle but an X in there, here is how I fixed it yesterday :-

I drove somewhere where I knew there is no 4G signal. I used a local forest but a multi-storey car park, underground car park, etc.. all work fine. The 4G solid triangle should go empty - also my phone lost all signal so I knew I was good.

Then TURN OFF 4G.

Then drive back to somewhere where you know the 4G is good; once there turn back ON. After a bit the 4G will comeback still with the X, but wait about 2-3mins and the X should go.

This only works for people who had 4G working in the past, and now just have a "x" next to the 4G SOLID triangle.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I lost all wireless connectivity yesterday inc GPS and to reboot mid drive, not for the first time. 4G never returned though even when it picked up a signal, however didn’t try leaving it disabled before I rebooted so will give that a go if I experience the same again.

·
Registered
P2 - Magnesium - Charcoal - PP - tow hook
162 Posts
I was in contact with the CS Polestar, no WIFI no 4G and no tethering either. They invited me to get in touch with my handover, which I did. Their answer is simple but frustrating: "Polestar takes care of it, they organize themselves for the corrections, modifications etc that the software has to undergo: no solution for the moment". I don't think it's a matter of signal. The first notifications date back to November...

·
Registered
536 Posts
I was in contact with the CS Polestar, no WIFI no 4G and no tethering either. They invited me to get in touch with my handover, which I did. Their answer is simple but frustrating: "Polestar takes care of it, they organize themselves for the corrections, modifications etc that the software has to undergo: no solution for the moment". I don't think it's a matter of signal. The first notifications date back to November...
Hmm. Not promising. Can't say if I am happy or sad that there are many others in the same boat as me.

·
Registered
122 Posts
For sure I will wait for the 4G solution before the making the final decision to take delivery or not.

·
Registered
P2 - Magnesium - Charcoal - PP - tow hook
162 Posts
Hmm. Not promising. Can't say if I am happy or sad that there are many others in the same boat as me.
All the more so as it seems that there are more and more of us!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I was today questioning why my car needed to go back into the local Volvo dealership later this month when there was no known solution to the 4Gx issue. From Polestar CS I got this follow up email:
"The 4G issue is something that retailers* have been able to resolve so once they have seen it you shouldn't experience any further issues."
They are also going to have another go at the erratic speed limit display but this is sounding a bit less definitive with "..... regards to the speed sign recognition issue it depends on what the issue is, which the technicians at the retailer will be able to advise on more. "

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
1,554 Posts
We shall see. I think they're thinking of the occasions where an aerial connection or the module itself has actually failed, not the cases where it worked fine and then becomes less and less stable - although to be fair, an overheating module would fail in that manner too, probably. However, a tenner/pint on them not fixing the 4G problem...

·
Registered
240 Posts
For Empty Triangles I have no idea - never had this - sorry.

For people who's 4G used to work , but now have a 4G solid Triangle but an X in there, here is how I fixed it yesterday :-

I drove somewhere where I knew there is no 4G signal. I used a local forest but a multi-storey car park, underground car park, etc.. all work fine. The 4G solid triangle should go empty - also my phone lost all signal so I knew I was good.

Then TURN OFF 4G.

Then drive back to somewhere where you know the 4G is good; once there turn back ON. After a bit the 4G will comeback still with the X, but wait about 2-3mins and the X should go.

This only works for people who had 4G working in the past, and now just have a "x" next to the 4G SOLID triangle.
Does this suggest that sometimes the console is making a connection to a carrier which is not supporting data. By forcing it to reconnect you are giving it a chance to connect to one of the other mobile providers who do provide data. I know it is Geman Tmobile as the end service provider, but in a roaming environment, it will pick up any provider. I always see mine using O2 as the connection where I live.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It occurred to me today that Polestar must be gutted that they have rushed out the OTA update software and in the same update knackered their connectivity to the fleet of vehicles. Presumably they will all need another trip to the dealer for a recall?

Genius.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
1,554 Posts
That, sadly, is the probable end result, yes :rolleyes: .

·
Registered
Midnight Charcoal non-PP Towbar
80 Posts
My response from CS regarding connectivity was 'we are aware of the issue and are working on a fix as a matter of priority'.. Sounds like it would be good if they informed all of their staff about that so we aren't all getting different answers...

·
Registered
240 Posts
It occurred to me today that Polestar must be gutted that they have rushed out the OTA update software and in the same update knackered their connectivity to the fleet of vehicles. Presumably, they will all need another trip to the dealer for a recall?

Genius.
I am of the opinion it is nothing to do with the software on the car, rather an issue with networking, Telecom Hot Spot Drive provided by Deutch Telekom. I can't see any of the upgrades to the software on the car would have affected this. The internet connectivity must be core Google software, and I can't see this can have gone wrong.

·
Registered
2021 2
1,374 Posts
I am of the opinion it is nothing to do with the software on the car, rather an issue with networking, Telecom Hot Spot Drive provided by Deutch Telekom. I can't see any of the upgrades to the software on the car would have affected this. The internet connectivity must be core Google software, and I can't see this can have gone wrong.
I understand that as a potential explanation for the 4G service. But a number of folk have had similar issues with WiFi, including me at different times.
So there must be some sort of internet connectivity idiocy happening in the car itself with improper initialization of the radios or similar.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I was today questioning why my car needed to go back into the local Volvo dealership later this month when there was no known solution to the 4Gx issue. From Polestar CS I got this follow up email:
"The 4G issue is something that retailers* have been able to resolve so once they have seen it you shouldn't experience any further issues."
They are also going to have another go at the erratic speed limit display but this is sounding a bit less definitive with "..... regards to the speed sign recognition issue it depends on what the issue is, which the technicians at the retailer will be able to advise on more. "
I think there was something in the Polestar Q&A from later November that they had fixed the issue (ha!) for cars that had never received a connection, needed to go in the dealers to make some sort of adjustments. I just went back to find the exact message, but the one from later November has now been replaced with 11th Jan update the cars internet is experiencing connection issues how can I fix this.

They're still saying use wifi hotspot instead without acknowledging the wifi hotspot issue on there Q&A page! (despite in the CS reply to me today acknowledging the opposite)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts