Polestar Forum banner

No 4G Possible Solution

27K views 219 replies 66 participants last post by  marlowtech 
#1 ·
For those without 4G here is one suggested option. Realise a few fixes have been suggested before so sorry if repeating a previous thread but this appears to be the official Volvo/Polestar possible workaround. Assume where says T Mobile Germany will change according to location and as it says "MAY" seems far from guaranteed but hopefully
might help some owners.

See less See more
#3 ·
It’s also not possible to connect to a WiFi network on the latest version (1st Nov 2020)... so this is not going to help. Thanks for posting though, seems they’re at least taking notice but worrying they don’t have a fix... or even realise the current limitations of the OTA version!

#4 ·
I just realized it's a different error description: Not being able to accept the T&Cs due to missing internet connection because of the T&Cs not being accepted when to activate the internet connectivity - typical bootstrap problem.

Our error is different - internet connectivity was already activated, but fails intermittently.

WiFi works in some - my - cases, though.

#5 ·
For Empty Triangles I have no idea - never had this - sorry.

For people who's 4G used to work , but now have a 4G solid Triangle but an X in there, here is how I fixed it yesterday :-

I drove somewhere where I knew there is no 4G signal. I used a local forest but a multi-storey car park, underground car park, etc.. all work fine. The 4G solid triangle should go empty - also my phone lost all signal so I knew I was good.

Then TURN OFF 4G.

Then drive back to somewhere where you know the 4G is good; once there turn back ON. After a bit the 4G will comeback still with the X, but wait about 2-3mins and the X should go.

This only works for people who had 4G working in the past, and now just have a "x" next to the 4G SOLID triangle.

#14 ·
Does this suggest that sometimes the console is making a connection to a carrier which is not supporting data. By forcing it to reconnect you are giving it a chance to connect to one of the other mobile providers who do provide data. I know it is Geman Tmobile as the end service provider, but in a roaming environment, it will pick up any provider. I always see mine using O2 as the connection where I live.

#6 ·
I lost all wireless connectivity yesterday inc GPS and to reboot mid drive, not for the first time. 4G never returned though even when it picked up a signal, however didn’t try leaving it disabled before I rebooted so will give that a go if I experience the same again.

#7 · (Edited)
I was in contact with the CS Polestar, no WIFI no 4G and no tethering either. They invited me to get in touch with my handover, which I did. Their answer is simple but frustrating: "Polestar takes care of it, they organize themselves for the corrections, modifications etc that the software has to undergo: no solution for the moment". I don't think it's a matter of signal. The first notifications date back to November...

#11 ·
I was today questioning why my car needed to go back into the local Volvo dealership later this month when there was no known solution to the 4Gx issue. From Polestar CS I got this follow up email:
"The 4G issue is something that retailers* have been able to resolve so once they have seen it you shouldn't experience any further issues."
They are also going to have another go at the erratic speed limit display but this is sounding a bit less definitive with "..... regards to the speed sign recognition issue it depends on what the issue is, which the technicians at the retailer will be able to advise on more. "

#20 ·
I think there was something in the Polestar Q&A from later November that they had fixed the issue (ha!) for cars that had never received a connection, needed to go in the dealers to make some sort of adjustments. I just went back to find the exact message, but the one from later November has now been replaced with 11th Jan update the cars internet is experiencing connection issues how can I fix this.

They're still saying use wifi hotspot instead without acknowledging the wifi hotspot issue on there Q&A page! (despite in the CS reply to me today acknowledging the opposite)

#12 ·
We shall see. I think they're thinking of the occasions where an aerial connection or the module itself has actually failed, not the cases where it worked fine and then becomes less and less stable - although to be fair, an overheating module would fail in that manner too, probably. However, a tenner/pint on them not fixing the 4G problem...

#15 ·
It occurred to me today that Polestar must be gutted that they have rushed out the OTA update software and in the same update knackered their connectivity to the fleet of vehicles. Presumably they will all need another trip to the dealer for a recall?

Genius.

#18 ·
It occurred to me today that Polestar must be gutted that they have rushed out the OTA update software and in the same update knackered their connectivity to the fleet of vehicles. Presumably, they will all need another trip to the dealer for a recall?

Genius.
I am of the opinion it is nothing to do with the software on the car, rather an issue with networking, Telecom Hot Spot Drive provided by Deutch Telekom. I can't see any of the upgrades to the software on the car would have affected this. The internet connectivity must be core Google software, and I can't see this can have gone wrong.

#21 · (Edited)
Interesting wording in the Jan. 11th update:

"We have identified intermittent issues with our connectivity platform which create disturbances with the car’s internet connection for some users. We are working actively to solve these issues and are in intense dialogues with our connectivity supplier to significantly increase capacity, which should improve the situation. We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience."

This seems to support the theory that the problem is in the cloud, not in the car.

#22 ·
Exactly. The car will have a bog standard combined WiFi/4G (and possibly Bluetooth too) module which is then connected remotely (probably via Ethernet or remote USB) to the infotainment system. The only way this could realistically go wrong is if the module is powered by inadequate electronics (converting the 12V down to 5V and/or 3V) as this can cause modules to fail to start up. I've debugged quite a few such modems over the years and almost always hokey reception on start-up is caused by inadequate power supply circuitry.

However the fact that early cars had (we think?) very reliable 4G implies that it's their infrastructure that they've failed to scale properly for the number of cars piling onto the network.

#23 ·
There must be these independent issues:
1. initialization of the 4G or WiFi radios - presents as a blank triangle (for 4G) or inability to see any SSIDs (for WiFi). This may be due to the inadequate powering up as @rgledhill mentions, and I believe is what's underlying @JPC current issue and what I had before. The 4G and WiFi radio powering could be relatively independent.
2. Network denial of service - presents as white triangle with an x, indicating radio is on, but connectivity isn't established. This should not affect the WiFi connectivity directly. Given @JPC has only one of only a few Polestar in Colorado, this really shouldn't affect him but not me in the Bay Area.
3. WiFi can see/connect to some but not all networks - this could prevent phone tethering and communication with the home network. It should not direct affect 4G connectivity. This may be related to improper powering of the WiFI radio (#1) or some software bug of how it's establishing the connection.

For troubleshooting, need to be clear whether the 4G issue presents with a blank triangle (radio not on/functional) or white triangle + x (radio on, not getting service) and for WiFi whether no networks can be seen (radio maybe not on/functional) or some networks can be seen but not all (WiFi not configured right).
In this US, AFAIK, the issues people have is that the 4G radios aren't turning on properly, not so much that they're not connecting to service. In the UK, the issue is not that the radio isn't turning on but more that the 4G connectivity isn't being established.

#24 ·
There must be these independent issues:
1. initialization of the 4G or WiFi radios - presents as a blank triangle (for 4G) or inability to see any SSIDs (for WiFi). This may be due to the inadequate powering up as @rgledhill mentions, and I believe is what's underlying @JPC current issue and what I had before. The 4G and WiFi radio powering could be relatively independent.
2. Network denial of service - presents as white triangle with an x, indicating radio is on, but connectivity isn't established. This should not affect the WiFi connectivity directly. Given @JPC has only one of only a few Polestar in Colorado, this really shouldn't affect him but not me in the Bay Area.
3. WiFi can see/connect to some but not all networks - this could prevent phone tethering and communication with the home network. It should not direct affect 4G connectivity. This may be related to improper powering of the WiFI radio (#1) or some software bug of how it's establishing the connection.

For troubleshooting, need to be clear whether the 4G issue presents with a blank triangle (radio not on/functional) or white triangle + x (radio on, not getting service) and for WiFi whether no networks can be seen (radio maybe not on/functional) or some networks can be seen but not all (WiFi not configured right).
In this US, AFAIK, the issues people have is that the 4G radios aren't turning on properly, not so much that they're not connecting to service. In the UK, the issue is not that the radio isn't turning on but more that the 4G connectivity isn't being established.
Thanks @polerad for working to standardize our language and understanding surround this problem. One suggestion is that we adopt the "hollow triangle" terminology proposed by @stevelup as opposed to "blank triangle".

#25 ·
Good updates and theories by those above. My car is going in tomorrow for a number of issues and I’ve specifically mentioned 4G and WiFi. I have been told that there is a communications module update but will confirm this when I drop off tomorrow. I have no doubt that there are other matters at play here but I’m sure they would lie about a specific update connected to this.

4G hasn’t been my major issue as it seems that comes and goes which tends to follow the capacity argument. Maybe the fix is more about the WiFi which certainly worked prior to the Nov update.

I shall confirm what I get from discussions tomorrow. I suspect I will get the car back tomorrow, albeit they have given me a loaner for a week.

Also confirm there is no current fix for the lack of illumination on the connect button and that it is now a ‘known’ wider issue for users.

#31 ·
The hollow triangle disappearing completely temporarily I think normally indicates that it can't see any networks whatsoever, rather than seeing other networks that the eSIM isn't allowed to register on, i.e. absolutely no networks anywhere. Was it somewhere completely in the middle of nowhere?

Alternatively it could be the Android OS trying to restart the communications stack, having had no connectivity for such a long time? (Just guesswork here)

#32 ·
The triangle disappeared completely, and the icons to the right of it shifted left into the space normally occupied by it.

The car was definitely in coverage for the whole time - whenever I could see/use my phone, it had good 4G, and I was in areas that I know normally work well. I'm pretty familiar with it, I was part of the implementation team for the original 4G rollout for the operator in question!

#33 ·
In that case it sounds like it's either the Android OS restarting the communications software stack, or the 4G module being reset, perhaps to try and achieve the same thing (i.e. turn it off and on again).

#34 ·
There are two separate issues as I see it.

a) the capacity issue - this is something for Polestar and their telecoms provider to sort out. This is where you get the 4G signal strength indication with a cross. Someone somewhere just needs to pull their finger out on this - it is beyond a joke it has gone on so long. It's difficult to understand why this has not yet been resolved.

b) the no connection at all - hollow triangle - this looks to be an in car hardware/software issue. Some hardware getting in a state it shouldn't be in. I never had this once before the last software update and this also coincided with the WiFi stopping working. I really do think they borked something with the last update.

#36 ·
Apparently the telco have denied it's anything to do with them and the cause is capacity issues at Volvo / Polestar's end. This is just unsubstantiated hearsay from the Dutch forum though.

I reckon all the traffic from all the cars across the entire fleet is being aggregated at a single point (for reasons that I find baffling, but hey ho) and there's a huge bottleneck there.

#37 ·
I'd be really surprised if T-mobile haven't got the capacity as that's their core business. It feels like something's going through a security gateway or something, which is completely overwhelmed - I'm guessing when it connects to the gateway, it has to authenticate to allowed to access the internet, and it's this authentication that is failing for bottleneck reasons.

#39 ·
If its Volvo/Polestar infrastructure related, they are going to have to go through, design, purchase, implementation, test, release etc etc. Doing this for a living I know how much time it can take. Especially if they are making networking and infrastructure upgrades. It is not always as simple as bashing in a bit of hardware and buying some licenses. Though, they should already have known, sized and been prepared for this eventuality, especially as it so core to the cars functionality.
A bit of a massive own goal really.

#40 ·
how much of this could be on Google? and/or related to testing of the app?

i could easily see that Google is being leveraged for both enabling internet connectivity and making the app/phone as a key. Android automotive does seem to control some low level functions in the car, and particularly the Internet connectivity. So yeah - is this more Google dropping the ball some?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.